• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fires of Pompeii (3002/402)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 30
    THE FIRES OF POMPEII
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3002

The Doctor and Donna arrive in Pompeii on the eve of the historic eruption of Mount Vesuvius, and must decide whether or not to warn the residents about the upcoming disaster.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:53 PM.

As theres no discussion thread up yet I figured I'd make one

Awesome episode. Though I'm not quite sure why the Doctor hesitated on pulling the switch, one city or the entire planet simple enough choice...
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

I LOVED this episode so much. Tate really showed her acting skills off.

*squees*

Comment

That's more like it...!

Bloody awesome. Just... yeah. Awesome.

Major ZOMGage in the scene with the daughter and the soothsayer seeing into the Doctor's mind.

David was brilliant, as always (kinda goes without saying, really ), but Catherine Tate impressed me too in the dramatic scenes near the end, which were fantastic.

Another "lost"/"taken" planet, huh? I'm guessing that's something to do with
        Spoiler:
        Davros and the Daleks
        if they are back.

9.5/10

Comment

I loved this episode, so much stuff came out of it (apart from Ash)

"She is returning" everyone (including me) assumes it's Rose, but is it? for a fleeting moment I thought of The Rani
          "The Cascade of Medusa"
          "The Shadow Proclamation"
          "Lost Planet"

So many things to think of. Anyway story was ok, I loved Donna, she's got a good heart The Runaway Bride Donna would have legged it to the Tardis but this Donna wanted to save the family, the little references to Wales was great. David Tennant acted his socks off as usual, I'm definity warming to Catherine Tate, she did really well in this, the FX were good.

I'll post more when I can think of more to say

We are going to get more of this She is returning/Medusa Cascade/Shadow Proclamation it's the Bad Wolf of the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
            That's more like it...!

Bloody awesome. Just... yeah. Awesome.

Major ZOMGage in the scene with the daughter and the soothsayer seeing into the Doctor's mind.

David was brilliant, as always (kinda goes without saying, really ), but Catherine Tate impressed me too in the dramatic scenes near the end, which were fantastic.

Another "lost"/"taken" planet, huh? I'm guessing that's something to do with
            Spoiler:
            Davros and the Daleks
            if they are back.

9.5/10
            Oh oh! I totally over-looked the whole "lost planet" business. It must be a major arc. Very interesting stuff.

Comment

Smashing episode. It's going to be another great season.

Spoiler:
              As for the lost planet reference that pops up again, could it be that the major arc of this season could be related to one famous planet that was lost? A possible restoration of Gallifrey?

Then again things aren't alway's as they seem. This shadow proclamation is also recurring, which makes me wonder. Man this is likely going to be another one of those exciting seasons.

Comment

Enjoyed this episode.

Quite a few LOL moments...

Spoiler:
                "We're all girls" moment particularly for me...

I must ashamedly admit that I was close to crying towards the end...

Spoiler:
                Basically I was shouting at the Doctor, telling him to listen to Donna, going 'Go back for them you moron!'...as you do.

Good episode, this season now has potential in my mind.

Comment

I always see the Shadow Proclamation as being something along the lines of the Geneva Convention, or similar, now I'm wondering if it's not something along the lines of the United Nations.

I really enjoyed this episode... I won't say it FELT like Classic Who, but it was in the true spirit of Doctor Who, unlike Partners in Crime. A true historical adventure on, let's face it, epic proportions. The Doctor's actions called into question and a demonstration of how difficult it is to carry that burden, one need only look at Genesis of the Daleks to see the Doctor hesitate even when one act of death can save so many...

I also loved the fact that the first Doctor's adventure in Rome was referenced. It's a nice little love message to the fans.

As for Donna. She's a true companion. I'm going to say it. She is a BETTER companion than Martha or Rose already. She's fulfilling the TRUE role of a companion. To show a HUMAN perspective, not to become the Doctor, or start acting like him, but to tell him when to stop, to cry when he walks away, and to highlight what's right and what's wrong. Donna reminds me of the old companions that would reel the Doctor in like Sarah Jane and Ian & Barbra. She is perfect.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

This episode has single-handedly saved this season.

I was, to be totally honest, not expecting much from this season as I felt 'Partners In Crime' was a bad way to start. 'The Fires Of Pompeii' is one of those episodes that people will remember Doctor Who for in years to come.

The Doctor causing Vesuvius to erupt. I have to say, I was not expecting that. I was hoping to hear the adult Pryovile speak but you can't have everything.

All in all, 10/10
                    Spoiler:

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                    "She is returning" everyone (including me) assumes it's Rose, but is it? for a fleeting moment I thought of The Rani
                    I thought the same thing. I mean Rose is okay. But she shouldn't be brought back. Hope the Rani does make an appearance. Why bring back Rose anyway? Does she want to come home? Does she now hate the Doctor and want to see him suffer?
                    Last edited by Billz; 12 April 2008, 01:13 PM.
                    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
                      This episode has single-handedly saved this season.

I was, to be totally honest, not expecting much from this season as I felt 'Partners In Crime' was a bad way to start. 'The Fires Of Pompeii' is one of those episodes that people will remember Doctor Who for in years to come.

The Doctor causing Vesuvius to erupt. I have to say, I was not expecting that. I was hoping to hear the adult Pryovile speak but you can't have everything.

All in all, 10/10

I thought the same thing. I mean Rose is okay. But she shouldn't be brought back. Hope the Rani does make an appearance. Why bring back Rose anyway? Does she want to come home? Does she now hate the Doctor and want to see him suffer?
                      Oooo goody, I *do* so hope it's the last one.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                        Oooo goody, I *do* so hope it's the last one.
                        Sarcasm is not like you.

Edit: Spoiler tags. Happy now?
                        Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

I... wasn't being sarcastic. And I wasn;t demanding spoiler tags, this is an episode discussion, there's no need to spoiler tag anything relating to this ep here...

I was genuinly expressing a gleeful desire for Rose to return as an evil she-witch.

Sorry for the misunderstanding...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

1. TARDIS translation circuits were a good laugh.

2. You could see where the Doctor was coming from in terms of not saving the city though Donna did have a point, she might well be a more interesting character this time round.

3. The Pryovile had an interesting story, pity they picked the wrong planet to try and colonise.

4. Roman characters were solid enough.

Good ep. Next week the OOd come back.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Billz View Post
                              Spoiler:

The 'Hand from the last episode could be the 'She' that was refered to (it's what made me think of The Rani)

Comment

Working...
                              X