~ Asgard matter converter (unending)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cocytus View Post
    Umm...why not simply use the matter converter to create a computer to assist in the computations needed to figure out how to escape the Ori beam?
    I seriously doubt it would have required 50 years for a computer to determine the course of action that they took.

Unless,of course, that would have ruined the plot...LOL
    Ahh...it took Sam 50 years to create a program that could reverse the time dilation field to a point before they started. She then had to create another program to make the changes to the computer core in the second or so they had to escape the beam.

Comment

Umm...why not simply use the matter converter to create a computer to assist in the computations needed to figure out how to escape the Ori beam?
      I seriously doubt it would have required 50 years for a computer to determine the course of action that they took.

Unless,of course, that would have ruined the plot...LOL
      They already had a thing like that with the holoasgard, I doubt Sam would have been able to design one anyway, she's clever, but not ancient sort of clever.
      Best quotes ever:
      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
      Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
      Thor:I like the yellow ones
      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
        Ahh...it took Sam 50 years to create a program that could reverse the time dilation field to a point before they started. She then had to create another program to make the changes to the computer core in the second or so they had to escape the beam.
        Ok...assuming that the Asgard computer has an inability to learn and adapt (which would be assuming a great deal for such an advanced race) why wouldn't she have been able to also using additional computation power to shorten the amount of time needed to figure out the task?

Anyway, I've seen the episode.
        It makes very clear that she was unable to determine a solution for 50 years.
        Which makes little sense as she had another PhD, two graduates of military academies (who were/are likely engineers) and two aliens who thought processes would have been radically different from human onboard the ship.

Ten years (itself a long period of time) I can see.
        Anything more than that...she'd be going over the same ground again.

But,hey,it's TV...
        Logic is neither needed requested nor required.

Comment

Actually the Asgard matter replication device has been around since S4 when Thor used it to make "food" for Sam during her stay on Thor's ship. However the Asgard's definition of food and ours is a little different.

Even if the thing can covert one form of matter to another you still need to input energy. No process is 100% efficient. There will be energy lost somewhere in the system and you need to input a certain amount of energy into to make up for that lost.

If you want to create matter out of energy then the power requirements will be enormous. Let take an example:
          if E=mc^2 where E is in joules, mass is in kg and c is 3e8 m/s
          So to create 1g of matter, 9e16/1000 = 9e13 joules.
          To put that into perspective, 1 joule = 2.7777777777777776e-7 kilowatt hour
          9e13*2.7777777777777776e-7 = 24.9 million kilowatt hours

Considering the going rate per kilowatt hour here in NYC during off peak hours is 7.83 CENTS/kWh during Feb 2008 then your looking at (24.9 million kilowatt hours * 7.83)/100 cents per dollar = $1,957,499.99 in electricity to create 1g of matter. This is assuming you could draw that much power through your lines w/o blowing the transformer in your neighborhood.

Comment

Ok...assuming that the Asgard computer has an inability to learn and adapt (which would be assuming a great deal for such an advanced race) why wouldn't she have been able to also using additional computation power to shorten the amount of time needed to figure out the task?

Anyway, I've seen the episode.
            It makes very clear that she was unable to determine a solution for 50 years.
            Which makes little sense as she had another PhD, two graduates of military academies (who were/are likely engineers) and two aliens who thought processes would have been radically different from human onboard the ship.

Ten years (itself a long period of time) I can see.
            Anything more than that...she'd be going over the same ground again.

But,hey,it's TV...
            Logic is neither needed requested nor required.
            I don't think all the education in the world is going to help when you're talking about having to learn how to use and program a computer system you have hardly seen, yet even used before. Not to mention it is 1000's of years more advanced then any computer we've ever been trained on. Add in the fact that she had to learn the theory, application, ect of time travel to manipulate a time dilation machine that wasn't made for going back in time. Combine all of that and you're talking a lifetime's work for even a brilliant scientist like Sam.

Comment

I don't think all the education in the world is going to help when you're talking about having to learn how to use and program a computer system you have hardly seen, yet even used before.
              Sam had used Asgard computer systems several times before, all by herself. It's the same operating system found on Asgard ships, satellites and in their science labs.

Add in the fact that she had to learn the theory, application, ect of time travel to manipulate a time dilation machine that wasn't made for going back in time.
              She already knew the theory and application; she knew how to do what they ended up doing, it was the fact that they didn't have the power to do it until Cameron brought up using the Ori beam to power it. She might not have ever thought about that way.

Combine all of that and you're talking a lifetime's work for even a brilliant scientist like Sam.
              Nah, I think she just wanted to retire early

As for the Asgard fabricator (calling it a fabricator eases confusion with the Replicators), I seriously doubt it is capable of converting energy into matter and vice versa. That would just be an enormous waste of energy and the system would work just as well without having to convert energy into matter.

Take the cello for example: A cello is mostly made out of wood and plastics with some metal in there for good measure. Wood is a carbohydrate and plastic is a hydrocarbon, so all you need for that is some poop and you can rearrange the poop molecules into wood and plastic molecules. The metal they probably had laying around.
              However, if you have the power to turn raw materials into other molecules and then assemble them into a new form, you've got the means to make whatever you want piece by piece, like a cello or a battle cruiser.

What it all boils down to is costs and time. It might cost more in energy to use the fabrication tech to build a battle cruiser, but the savings in man-hours might make it cheaper to do it that way. I suppose it all comes down to how the writers want to spin it.
              Last edited by Jarnin; 28 March 2008, 02:52 PM. Reason: addition
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Wrong.

The matter replicator can make 'anything', depending on what the plot (producer/writers) want.

Comment

Working...
                X