This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

France - Chatter about the country and the french

While talking with SG66 on a Stargate Thread, I thought that I could create a Thread about France, because we were talking so much about it.
    As a french, I thought that it could be of some use to give to the people interested an Inside Look about how things go on in my country, sometimes more authentic that the news you can watch on CNN

So let's talk about France and french. I know that relationships between France and USA weren't that good for a while since the war in Iraq, but, I don't mind.
    I'm fine with every point of view, and if someone tells me that he doesn't like France and thinks that french are cowards, I won't mind, I will just try to convince him otherwise.

Just please excuse my English, I'll do my best to avoid making mistakes but it's not my native language...

i'm glad to be here. let me start things off by saying that i don't think the french are cowards, i was just caught up in the moment. in actuality, i have great respect for the french.

examples:

1: helped us in the american revolution, played a vital role in cornering Lord Cornwallis and keeping him and his army from escaping.

2: Verdon, look it up. the french played a major defensive role when they were attcked by large numbers of german soldiers, yet the french stayed and dispite loosing over 250,000 men, they still kicked ass.

i have respect for the french, but i don't agree with everything they do, especially in the past decade or so.

Comment

Originally posted by SG66 View Post
      i have respect for the french, but i don't agree with everything they do, especially in the past decade or so.
      Heh, I can say the same thing about Americans

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
      The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

i admit, our contry made mistakes, but it is not the fault of all of our people, just as the mistakes by the french gov't are not the fault of all the french. i supported going into iraq, not because of weapons of mass destruction, but because saddam was an evil man, he and his family deserved their fate, that was the only reason.

however, we did make some major mistakes, ones i knew would happen even before the war started.

1: once we took control of the country, we were totally unprepared to set up a new gov't, start rebuilding, etc. we wasted a lot of time drawing up plans when we should have had at least one plan, a dozen more at the most.

2: i once gave a speech in one of my classes comparin iraq to vietnam. i talked about how the terrorests were using the same tactics as the vietcong, and how it seemed we never learned our lesson. my proof, easy. west point had several classes during vietnam designed to teach how to fight gorrila war, yet once the war was over, they reverted back to pre-ww2 thinking of capturing a capitol and the war ending afterwards.

sounds stupid right.

Comment

I like France, have some good friends who are French and I've been all over the country and it is very beautiful. Part of my family way back comes from Rodemack, a town in France on the German border. I'd like to go back to Paris and Normandy again, last time I went to those places I did not get to spend much time there and had to miss out on a lot of stuff that I'd really like to see. Too bad the dollar sucks so much now...
          "Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" - Tom Zarek

Comment

Originally posted by Artheval_Pe View Post
            While talking with SG66 on a Stargate Thread, I thought that I could create a Thread about France, because we were talking so much about it.
            As a french, I thought that it could be of some use to give to the people interested an Inside Look about how things go on in my country, sometimes more authentic that the news you can watch on CNN

So let's talk about France and french. I know that relationships between France and USA weren't that good for a while since the war in Iraq, but, I don't mind.
            I'm fine with every point of view, and if someone tells me that he doesn't like France and thinks that french are cowards, I won't mind, I will just try to convince him otherwise.

Just please excuse my English, I'll do my best to avoid making mistakes but it's not my native language...
            Actually our problems with the French go far, far back, before the current War on Terror.

Comment

Originally posted by Legionnaire View Post
              Too bad the dollar sucks so much now...
              No. No no. Please let it continue sucking. I've made some great deals on eBay lately

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
              The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

2: Verdon, look it up. the french played a major defensive role when they were attcked by large numbers of german soldiers, yet the french stayed and dispite loosing over 250,000 men, they still kicked ass.
                Don't forget Dunkerque, while the British forces were retreating the French forces played a vital rear guard action in keeping the German Panzers and Infantry off our backs long enough to load up the British soldiers and then held on long enough for us to come back and get a sizable chunk of them out too.

Sure the reason we had to fall back to Dunkerque was because the French hadn't been able to hold their line because they thought that they needed to go and defend Paris and left the British flank exposed...but hell I guess everyone makes mistakes.

Comment

plus the german war machone was monstous, after the first WW, many countires, including the US and france didn't think they would need a big military again.

Comment

plus the german war machone was monstous, after the first WW, many countires, including the US and france didn't think they would need a big military again.
                    That is true. No-one could have predicted it.

Remember Chamberlins famous "There will be peace in our time!"

Still even a child could have predicted the Germans battleplan to invade France once war had been declared. I mean swinging through Belgium and into the North of France was the only viable option. But still the French failed to see it.

And what's with declaring war when 90% of your tanks are on the opposite side of your vaste country in a parade or something!?

Comment

in my opinion, the world should have seen it coming, i mean, did people really think germany was going to be like all forgiving after the versaille treaty.

Comment

I have the utmost respect for the french. people call them cowerds for surrendering in WWII but they had no choice,and they still never stoped fighting the French resistance played a huge role up to Operation Overlord and after that the french were back in the war with a regulaar army and took the fight back the the germans.
                        I also like ther history form The Roman conquest in Gaul to the rise of the Franks and all after that.
                        The French diserve respect and i think people should give them respect because just as SG66 said

i'm glad to be here. let me start things off by saying that i don't think the french are cowards, i was just caught up in the moment. in actuality, i have great respect for the french.

examples:

1: helped us in the american revolution, played a vital role in cornering Lord Cornwallis and keeping him and his army from escaping.

So with out them America might not excist.
                        Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
                          I have the utmost respect for the french. people call them cowerds for surrendering in WWII but they had no choice,and they still never stoped fighting the French resistance played a huge role up to Operation Overlord and after that the french were back in the war with a regulaar army and took the fight back the the germans.
                          I also like ther history form The Roman conquest in Gaul to the rise of the Franks and all after that.
                          The French diserve respect and i think people should give them respect because just as SG66 said

So with out them America might not excist.
                          well it would, youd have just been like canada

and i doubt they intervened because they believed in the struggle of the americans they did it to weaken britain

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
                            well it would, youd have just been like canada

and i doubt they intervened because they believed in the struggle of the americans they did it to weaken britain
                            Actully thats very true the only reason the became involved was because they wanted to make the british hurt, and i think after the fighting ended in America the British and the French were still duking it out in the Atlantic and in Asia.

Oh and just to say i love British history it is probably the most interesting aside from Roman history.
                            Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
                              Actully thats very true the only reason the became involved was because they wanted to make the british hurt, and i think after the fighting ended in America the British and the French were still duking it out in the Atlantic and in Asia.

Oh and just to say i love British history it is probably the most interesting aside from Roman history.
                              think the dutch and the spanish where involved as well, was almost a world war

Comment

Working...
                              X