Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I don't see how they could fit Jack into the story..." Excuse me?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I don't see how they could fit Jack into the story..." Excuse me?

So there are generally two kinds of people.

Those who want Jack back and those who don't.

I'm neither.

But I've been thinking recently, after reading in another post the fact that some people don't see how Jack could be worked into a storyline, such as the Ark of Truth, or Unending, or whatever.

It's simple.

He'd head of Home World Security.

How do people keep forgetting this?

As head of HWS Jack overseas everything in relation to the Stargate program, he's Landry's superior, and the Atlantis Commander's superior. Thus, any event of significant threat to earth, or even significant impact on earth, could have involvement from Jack. Certainly the events of the Ark of Truth, a mission of that calibre would have warrented O'Neill sitting in on the briefing or similar.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

I think the point is, most people -- it seems to me, and I could be wrong -- don't want

A) Jack only to appear in a scene at a briefing
    B) A briefing scene taking up time just as an excuse to flash Jack for five seconds.
    Theoretically spoilerish:
    Spoiler:
    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Arguably yes. But it seems to me that any story in which the fate of the Galaxy/Earth truely hangs in the balance, it would be relevant to have the head of HWS involved throughout the episode at the SGC, or even the White House calling the shots. It surprises me when Jack's not in on things in those circumstances.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'd rather not have him at all than have two minutes of fluff like at the end of "Origin" or Hammond's appearance in the briefing room in "The Four Horsemen".

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
          I'd rather not have him at all than have two minutes of fluff like at the end of "Origin" or Hammond's appearance in the briefing room in "The Four Horsemen".
          Yes Hammond's appearance was fluff.

And I am NOT arguing FOR O'Neill to make lots of random tiny appearances. I really am not fussed either way about him returning, but my point is this, any major crisis situation that requres the SGC Commander to be making major decisions, we're talking Serpant's Grasp, Lost City, etc... would be well versed to have Jack on scene THROUGHOUT the episode making decisions that will effect the whole planet.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
            Yes Hammond's appearance was fluff.

And I am NOT arguing FOR O'Neill to make lots of random tiny appearances. I really am not fussed either way about him returning, but my point is this, any major crisis situation that requres the SGC Commander to be making major decisions, we're talking Serpant's Grasp, Lost City, etc... would be well versed to have Jack on scene THROUGHOUT the episode making decisions that will effect the whole planet.
            I agree just having Jack in a few senes would not do justice to the character. You would have to put him in the whole ep and it would have to be a 2 parter.
            Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

All I'm trying to say... is that any season finale, or dvd movie would allow for Jack's presence quite easily due to the very nature of his job.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Definitely agree. Some of Jack's later appearances completely ignored that.

Comment

All I'm trying to say... is that any season finale, or dvd movie would allow for Jack's presence quite easily due to the very nature of his job.
                  I agree F.O. Bennett, IMO the powers TPTB did the same thing with Hammond as they did with O'Neill, in the show they both got promoted so that they both could be in whatever TPTB wanted. IMO also if they brought back Jack or George for something it would be best to have them both in most of the episode to do them justice.
                  sigpic
                  Spoiler:
                  McKay: Crap!

Hermiod: What did you do?

McKay: I ran it through a translation programme, it's Wraith.

Hermiod: Crap indeed!
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  O'Neall: Yasureyoubetya!

Comment

So there are generally two kinds of people.

Those who want Jack back and those who don't.

I'm neither.

But I've been thinking recently, after reading in another post the fact that some people don't see how Jack could be worked into a storyline, such as the Ark of Truth, or Unending, or whatever.

It's simple.

He'd head of Home World Security.

How do people keep forgetting this?

As head of HWS Jack overseas everything in relation to the Stargate program, he's Landry's superior, and the Atlantis Commander's superior. Thus, any event of significant threat to earth, or even significant impact on earth, could have involvement from Jack. Certainly the events of the Ark of Truth, a mission of that calibre would have warrented O'Neill sitting in on the briefing or similar.
                    IMHO He could have led the Oddy instead of Cam overseeing the team, thus we wouldn't have needed Merrick the IOA guy!

Comment

yes, using the 'home world security' card would allow Jack to return whenever the writers wanted, and yes, it would be cool to see him again, but wouldn't that completely undermine Landry? I mean, Hammond didn't have a superior officer show up every time things got tough. And likewise Hammond didn't take over during important situations when Jack was in control of the SGC. So unless Landry is completely incompetant (which he isn't), Jack shouldn't have to make repeat appearances on base.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hammond didn't have that because the post didn't exist. As for when O'Neill was in command, well.. Hammond DID throw his weight around in the effort to command the Prometheus in "Prometheus Unbound".

But during O'Neill's tenure, we didn't see any form of Serpant's Grasp situation save for Threads which was all very out of the blue really...

Point is, O'Neill's initial role in "The Return" sums his job up. Major situation that effects not just the day to day running of the SGC, but the world/galaxy then O'Neill steps in. Everyone has a superior officer, and having that superior taking charge every now and then does not undermine them.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

He's also Jack - what was that bit in New Order? He could do whatever he want.... they can always decide to get Jack inside the action - much like the Return, indeed, find some excuse or jsut have him endlessly complain about how boerd he is.
                          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                            He's also Jack - what was that bit in New Order? He could do whatever he want.... they can always decide to get Jack inside the action - much like the Return, indeed, find some excuse or jsut have him endlessly complain about how boerd he is.
                            Well, I'm hoping that's sarcasm, because I hated The Return for that very reason- it was just one quip after another. It was as if they totalled up all the smart remarks Jack would make in one season and shoved it into two eps.

I don't think Jack should be fit into the story, he should be part of it. No cameos, no little parts, either because that's just an excuse to put RDA's name in the episode. Avalon was a good (bad) example of that. He didn't complain about being bored, he just acted like it.

It doesn't have to be the Abyss every time, but I sure didn't like the lines or parts he got after he stopped being a regular on SG-1. There was a lot of difference between Jack in Rising and Jack in The Return, yet he wasn't a series regular in either one.

So I'm really holding my breath on Continuum
                            Spoiler:
                            because he wasn't originally written into that script, either.

Comment

you'd think that a guy like Jack would want to be more involved in the action. I don't see any problem in inserting Jack in any two parter or season finale. Especially the last one.
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X