Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Whats with the hair?

OK, so is it just me or does te'lc go from having grey hair on the right side to both sides and then back again thoughout this film?

Other than that, good work done by all on this. Buy it, Buy it now

Default Re: Whats with the hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander2072 View Post
    OK, so is it just me or does te'lc go from having grey hair on the right side to both sides and then back again thoughout this film?

Other than that, good work done by all on this. Buy it, Buy it now
    Scenes get flipped all the time in cinema work. We just usually dont have a white band on one side of the head to make it obvious :O

Major

Nope, not just you, it was Teal'c and the bad continuity of the show.

Second Lieutenant

A lot of the time a scene is flipped during the editing process. One reason why it happens is to maintain eyeline continuity.

An example of eyelines: If two people are conversing, for example, it's customary in cinema to show them looking towards opposite sides of the screen in shots where only one is visible. To prevent confusion for viewers, the direction they look has to match the direction each is looking when both of them are on screen. The same applies for when a character has to look at something. If the camera work has established that the object they're looking at is to the right of them, it gets confusing when a shot makes them look at the left side of the screen.

When a film is being edited together, they have to make sure the eyelines make sense from shot to shot and sometimes its necessary to do a flip for that shot.

Great post. Always interesting to learn things like this

Major

Nah, I still chalk it up to them not paying attention and continuity issues. The stripe, itself, also changed size. And, this is not the first time, of many, that details like this were mucked up.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by SylvreWolfe View Post
    Nah, I still chalk it up to them not paying attention and continuity issues. The stripe, itself, also changed size. And, this is not the first time, of many, that details like this were mucked up.
    If you've ever been on a film set, you'd realize there are far too many things to "pay attention" to if you're expecting perfect continuity. When you're on set, you're on the clock and you only get a very limited number of chances to do your filming. You may not always be able to return to do additional shooting. So mistakes happen and make it to the final film. It's a fact of life.

But as I've said, sometimes it's necessary to flip a shot during editing, which is a likely reason for Teal'c's hair to be flipped.

Major

Cool Re: Whats with the hair?

Quote Originally Posted by 1138 View Post
    If you've ever been on a film set, you'd realize there are far too many things to "pay attention" to if you're expecting perfect continuity. When you're on set, you're on the clock and you only get a very limited number of chances to do your filming. You may not always be able to return to do additional shooting. So mistakes happen and make it to the final film. It's a fact of life.

But as I've said, sometimes it's necessary to flip a shot during editing, which is a likely reason for Teal'c's hair to be flipped.
    Or, they just messed things up. How can you not pay attention to continuity? How hard can it be to keep the streak on the same side or to even have it the same size each time, instead of it changing shape from scene to scene? TPTB on this show don't bother with maintaining details or continuity, they never have. They have made mistakes like this since Children of the Gods, mistakes that cannot be chalked up to flipping a shot. It is them not paying attention to the characters on the show. And that, too, is a fact of life. What could be more important than getting the characters right? Another likely reason for the streak to be wrong is that they just messed up.

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

A lot of the time a scene is flipped during the editing process. One reason why it happens is to maintain eyeline continuity.

An example of eyelines: If two people are conversing, for example, it's customary in cinema to show them looking towards opposite sides of the screen in shots where only one is visible. To prevent confusion for viewers, the direction they look has to match the direction each is looking when both of them are on screen. The same applies for when a character has to look at something. If the camera work has established that the object they're looking at is to the right of them, it gets confusing when a shot makes them look at the left side of the screen.

When a film is being edited together, they have to make sure the eyelines make sense from shot to shot and sometimes its necessary to do a flip for that shot.
    That explanation makes sense.
    I have to say I really only noticed the stripe-flip during part of Teal'c's trek through the snow.
    Then I shrugged and carried on watching to see what happened next in the movie.

To me it wasn't a biggie,but then perhaps I'm just easily pleased by seeing the movie at last on Sky ,lol !

Second Lieutenant

Or, they just messed things up. How can you not pay attention to continuity? How hard can it be to keep the streak on the same side or to even have it the same size each time, instead of it changing shape from scene to scene?
    I told you already, they might need to flip shots during editing. How hard is that to understand?

Wait, do you pay for your education? It's time to get your money back. Maybe ask for a tax refund if it's public school.

TPTB on this show don't bother with maintaining details or continuity, they never have. They have made mistakes like this since Children of the Gods, mistakes that cannot be chalked up to flipping a shot. It is them not paying attention to the characters on the show. And that, too, is a fact of life. What could be more important than getting the characters right? Another likely reason for the streak to be wrong is that they just messed up.
    [/COLOR][/B]
    As opposed to any other production where the same types of mistakes happen, right? The show is filmed on a weekly basis, which is a very fast paced shooting schedule and you expect them to get everything perfect?

Come back after you've directed a film and had to deal with the hassle of working on set in unpredictable conditions. Until then, you don't know what you're talking about and are being needlessly nitpicky.

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela

They have made mistakes like this since Children of the Gods, mistakes that cannot be chalked up to flipping a shot. It is them not paying attention to the characters on the show.
    They're obviously doing something right to keep you watching from CotG to the Ark.
    -- Brains12

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

I remember noticing that the first time I watched AOT. It actually makes me laugh a little now.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

The answer is obvious. Teal'C has in fact, lost all his hair, and that piece of gray is in fact, his wig!!!

That's right!!! Teal'C is BALD!!!

(but even Jaffa like to look young)

I told you already, they might need to flip shots during editing. How hard is that to understand?

Wait, do you pay for your education? It's time to get your money back. Maybe ask for a tax refund if it's public school.

As opposed to any other production where the same types of mistakes happen, right? The show is filmed on a weekly basis, which is a very fast paced shooting schedule and you expect them to get everything perfect?

Come back after you've directed a film and had to deal with the hassle of working on set in unpredictable conditions. Until then, you don't know what you're talking about and are being needlessly nitpicky.
    You are correct, nothing is perfect, it doesnt excist and people should realise it, even big blockbusters with a budget of 50 million contains errors, it is made by people, not robots.
    Be happy with what you have rather than with what you dont have

Continuity has never been a strong suit for Stargate.
    Even when it was on Showtime...there were always little things that never meshed from scene to scene.
    Or episode to episode.

Even things that would have made sense (like Teal'c falling face down on the beach and rising w/o sand on his face or upper torso) fall through the cracks.
    If continuity were a priority, a better job would be done.
    It isn't...so it isn't...

Second Lieutenant

To settle the issue once and for all, look at the scene where the streak is on the wrong side when Teal'c is making his journey through the mountains. Look at the antenna for his radio. It's on his right side, when normally it's on his left. This proves that the scene was flipped during editing: you have more than one feature that has been flipped, which precludes any sort of on set mistake in this case. And don't even think that it was because they also put the radio in the wrong pocket. As you can see from the following picture:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...T-PR-CJ-01.jpg

The radio pocket is designed differently from the other pocket and has a special hole for the antenna. Therefore, the shot WAS flipped during editing.
    Last edited by 1138; March 28th, 2008 at 04:33 PM.

Agreed, as a film student i can tell you from personal experience, film sets are very tough to work on. everything is about speed, time keeping and getting things shot. The hair and makeup people takes tonnes of pictures. I can pretty much safetly say that they probably put his stripe on the right hand side everyday however flipping the shot changed the side. now which would you prefer, teal'c's hair correct and no intergelatic space battles, or intergalactic space battles and a little continuity error from time to time??

personally i think the space battles rock and would prefer all the money keeps going to that rather than making sure teal'c's hair line is right

It was a minor mistake not as big as you are making it.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Major

And I am suppose to believe something just because YOU say it is so?? Whatever.

Why is it so difficult for these *well educated, professionals* to keep continuity? How hard is it to NOT change something once it has been put to use. How hard is it to maintain something? And I am not just talking about hair, so get over it. Which, I have mentioned several times, but for some reason, you aren't reading those parts. You are only reading the one part that you think you can argue against.

P.S. I am a VP of a production company with a couple under the belt. So, get back to me when you know what you are talking about instead of making excuses for poor planning, poor research, and poor filming.

I expect better from so called professionals.

And attacking my education just shows the lack of your own and your own inability to accept that some people don't think you walk on water. Maybe you should get your money back on whatever education you have, and maybe even sue the school for malpractice and negligence.
    Last edited by SylvreWolfe; March 28th, 2008 at 07:51 PM.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell82 View Post
    It was a minor mistake not as big as you are making it.
    I would accept it as a minor mistake if it weren't just one of many mistakes they have made over ten years. These are simple mistakes that could have been avoided with just a little, and I mean a very little, thought given to anything. And then they get all pissy with fans who actually notice it.

And, it is as big as I want to make it. It may not mean anything to you, but that doesn't mean the same for me.

As I said before, I expect better from these so called professionals who make grandiose claims of their research.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast