Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we afford to lose any more main Characters?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we afford to lose any more main Characters?

We've lost Weir, Becket and Carter, what other main characters would we have to lose for Atlantis to be really affected and perhaps go down in it's ratings. For me the obvious is if Shep or Mackay were to be written out, I will have a difficult time adjusting to the new team (I'll still watch, because I love Atlantis) but there will be a period of adjustment. Any thoughts?

Mild character spoilers for S4-5
    Spoiler:
    Beckett, Weir, Carter, Ford, Heightmeyer and probably a few others, although technically Beckett is back (at least for a while and ignoring for the moment that he's only a copy) and Carter probably isn't going to die.
    But yes, I'd say we've lost more than our fair share of characters over the past four years. Normally I tend to favor shows where no character is safe and anyone is likely to die because it adds to the drama and keeps things fresh. However, that makes the assumption that the deaths are logical and suited to the character/situation and that the "replacement" character is different from the original and serves an actual purpose. Such is not always the case when it comes to Atlantis. Not in my opinion, anyway. Atlantis seems more like it's floundering, trying to find the right formula and the right characters and killing off anyone who's too boring or whom they can't figure out how to write. I don't get a sense that there's any rhyme or reason to some of the choices TPTB have made and I don't think the show as a whole is terribly cohesive. It keeps getting renewed, though, so it's obviously doing something right. *shrug* Or people are more open-minded and accepting than I am. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      Mild character spoilers for S4-5
      Spoiler:
      Beckett, Weir, Carter, Ford, Heightmeyer and probably a few others, although technically Beckett is back (at least for a while and ignoring for the moment that he's only a copy) and Carter probably isn't going to die.
      But yes, I'd say we've lost more than our fair share of characters over the past four years. Normally I tend to favor shows where no character is safe and anyone is likely to die because it adds to the drama and keeps things fresh. However, that makes the assumption that the deaths are logical and suited to the character/situation and that the "replacement" character is different from the original and serves an actual purpose. Such is not always the case when it comes to Atlantis. Not in my opinion, anyway. Atlantis seems more like it's floundering, trying to find the right formula and the right characters and killing off anyone who's too boring or whom they can't figure out how to write. I don't get a sense that there's any rhyme or reason to some of the choices TPTB have made and I don't think the show as a whole is terribly cohesive. It keeps getting renewed, though, so it's obviously doing something right. *shrug* Or people are more open-minded and accepting than I am. LOL!
      I tend to agree with you, but what keeps me watching Atlantis is that I love all things Stargate. No matter what season when they get it right it is a grand thing to watch. Even with the new team in season 9 and 10 SG1 (the seasons that a lot don't like) they still managed to pull off a few really great episodes.

I've never found Weir boring or lacking, but I know there are a lot of anti weir (thats OK each to their own) people out there.

Comment

I think Atlantis could survive losing anyone, but I think losing McKay would be the biggest blow.

Comment

As well as its greatest success.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Not likely.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              I think Atlantis could survive losing anyone, but I think losing McKay would be the biggest blow.
              Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              As well as its greatest success.
              Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              Not likely.
              Bring in Jeannie Miller (mckay's sis)...she's smarter than him anyways and I like her better.

Rodney and her switch jobs and he has to play Mr. Mom to her kids and she does more for Atlantis in 4 days than Rodney did in 4 years!!!

Actually, Jeannie is a character I wouldn't mind seeing as a regular.
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Losing Sheppard, Mckay, or maybe Ronon would probably cause the most outrage, but I think the show would be ok. On the other hand, don't expect any of them to die anytime soon.

Comment

the last person i would want to see dying would be rodney, the show would be boring then.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to WingedPegasus and myself for the sigs, and to Myn for the userbar.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
                    Losing Sheppard, Mckay, or maybe Ronon would probably cause the most outrage, but I think the show would be ok. On the other hand, don't expect any of them to die anytime soon.
                    Sheppard or McKay, yes. McKay because the geeks relate to him, Shep because he's the eye candy. But Ronon? The character's wallpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
                      Sheppard or McKay, yes. McKay because the geeks relate to him, Shep because he's the eye candy. But Ronon? The character's wallpaper.
                      Lorne could replace Shep and it wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't want to lose McKay, but you are right with Ronon. Any warrior could replace him. . .or Teyla even. Her loss would not be a big deal.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I wouldn't be terribly shocked if Jason Momoa left the show some time in the next couple of years. The whole losing the dreadlocks thing and that talk a couple of months ago about him wanting them to make his character go darker just screams "I'm bored with this role" to me.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Simple answer to a simple question:

Sure, why not. They've already proven they can and if we have to believe those lovely ratings nobody cares anyway.

Spot the sarcasm in that last part and win some green.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I guess the way to look at it (at least for me) is that it would be ok to replace a main character if there was either a better character ready to step into that character's place, or if the writers believed that they could create a replacement character who was significantly better. However, for me it seems to be difficult to fit these criteria when there has been significant time invested in the development of main characters (and I know that's an arguable point). So I would say no, we can't lose any more main characters, because there would be a lot of development wasted in killing any of Sheppard, McKay, Teyla, Ronon, Lorne, Zelenka, Keller (maybe, I haven't seen season 4 and she's newer). Anyone else - maybe, depends on who would fill the gap.

Comment

I don't know. I'm not sure Shep or McKay would be survivable, because they are the core of the show and -- it seems -- the most popular characters. The show could definitely survive losing Teyla or Ronon, though I think it would be preferable to most fans if they remained.

But, as far as reaction, it's all a matter of perspective, I guess. I think of Keller's arrival and Beckett's departure, and Sam's arrival and Weir's departure as fantastic developments. There are plenty who couldn't disagree with me more, though.
                              Theoretically spoilerish:
                              Spoiler:
                              Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Working...
                              X