X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the People (414)

Stargate: Horizon
    For the People

Kalos returns to Horizon with a surprising request to Sivea.

Check it out!

Then stop back here for comments and discussion!
    Outstanding
    35.71%
    Good
    42.86%
    Fair
    21.43%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    0.00%
    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 13 March 2008, 11:47 AM.

And, the episode is available!

Check out the website for the official release story. There's also a link up there to the main titles video!

Enjoy!
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

my notes that I have writen while reading this

Sivea-Alien?
      Zach-Reporter?
      Stargate on a space station...Alien ships.
      Kalos-son trouble with a "snydicate" Saved by Sivea-ex Minister of Security
      Cai'nan blending?
      Kih'andari? Rouge cells? Supporters in K council?

Vorian VS Kih'andari-war, Vorian Premptive strike

Vahret? Not Reinstated? Under Vorian custody

Earth Vorian Alliance.(Kalos is against)

Pres Adari?
      Kohmar-Pacifist

Der'ash? Velis

Biogenic weapon possible arms race.
      Thanks to that SG-universe website and your own home site it wasn't to hard to understand the situation.

just wondering, well this turn out into an arms race?

I like what I read and it was worth my time. Though I have to say, playing catch up can better way to "watch" as show than knowing what's going on right away.

I don't understand, are the Vorians and Kih'andari human?
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
        I like what I read and it was worth my time. Though I have to say, playing catch up can better way to "watch" as show than knowing what's going on right away.
        I'm glad to hear you liked it.

And yeah, this probably isn't the easiest episode for a first time reader, because a lot of it -- or really all of it -- builds upon previous episodes and arcs. Basically the Kih'Andari are also Vorians, but they had seceded from the Vorian Coalition of Colonies in Season Two and became a nation of their own. There was a Vorian/Kih'Andari war, which was an arc that went through all of Season Three. Now there's a peace treaty between them.

But here's how it kind of breaks down:

- The Vorians are an alien/human group of people that are between a hundred to two hundred years more advanced than humans from Earth (without their Asgard technology).

- The Kih'Andari are a group of people who have different philosophical beliefs than the Vorians, which had been the cause for their secession and eventually the war.

- The Rogue Kih'Andari are members of the Kih'Andari nation, but they're extremists. Unlike the Kih'Andari High Council, they believe in an old prophecy that tells that the current Vorian would need to be destroyed in order for the new and pure Vorian to rise from its ashes. They're a hundred percent committed to that, and willing to do what it takes to achieve their goals. Today there's not many rogue cells still around; the one seen in this episode was one of the few remaining ones left.

- The Syndicate (which is briefly mentioned in the episode) is a group of Vorians, who had used the war to make profits. They worked with the rogue Kih'Andari during the war. But unlike the rogues, they don't believe anything other than making profit.

- Sivea is an officer of the Vorian Space Command, and currently serves as the second in command of the Horizon-1 team.

- Zach is a reporter from Earth.

- Kalos used to be Vorian's minister of security. He was framed for some devastating events at the end of Season Three, but in "The Syndicate" it became clear that he was innocent.

- The Cai'nan, which are briefly mentioned in the episode, are a group of Vorian telepaths. All Vorians have telepathic potential, but the Cai'nan are much, much, much more powerful. They're pretty close to where the Ancients were right before they ascended, and Vorians with that kind of ability are very rare and unique. Sivea is one of them, but she's learned to keep those abilities suppressed.

- A biogenic weapon is a device that disperses a toxin throughout a planet's atmosphere. It's a weapon of mass destruction, that if used properly, can eradicate an entire planet's population.

- Yup. This is, indeed, Stargate on a space station. A nice way to put it.

That should cover some of your questions; I think everything else probably became clear through the dialogue. The series has a lot of arcs and storylines that are picked up on pretty frequently, but I think if you just keep reading you'll start catching up more and more.

But be sure to ask if you think of any more questions.

Comment

Well I must say this is a great episode. I loved the ending great plot twist, I especially love it how you made Kalos bit amator at playing a spy, and then all of sudden bam turn out he much more capable than sivea or rogues gave him credit for, seemed to of played them both perfectly. Whole and I can see great relationship developing between Sivea and Kalos, they seem to show real affection for each other .

I like the way it seem their are people Vorian seem intent on a other war, I wonder if it will turn out to be the syndicate behind it all.

And the lovely used of holographic technology in the space battle.

Comment

Interesting episode. It has some flaws but overall was a good episode.

1. Pacing was good, except from a few parts that dragged a bit (The dinner whilst a good plot device to re-acquire ourselves with Kalos' POV was a bit predictable and slow - perhaps with good screen editing...)
            2. The story was simplistic and the twist while unexpected we were expecting a twist from page 1 (Ok, page 5)
            3. It is good to get back at some stories that are a bit forgotten and untouched since quite a few time.
            4. Even if I like Chris, not having her as lead here was a welcome change

Things I didn't like: Zack attack! (Completely unnecesary), Bo'vic's name too much Bovine to my taste (I have to confess that I read him as "bovine" quite a few times) and finally Sivea/... I think you're giving her too many habilities: Soldier, Commander, Cai'nan, Engineer.... and cook?!

***/4

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              Whole and I can see great relationship developing between Sivea and Kalos, they seem to show real affection for each other .
              I completely agree. I think they have a great relationship. And they did show some affection for each other there at the end.

I like the way it seem their are people Vorian seem intent on a other war,
              Yeah, we felt it was important to not just have them have a peace treaty and then pretty much say that everything's all right now. Not after everything that's happened. So this will be something that'll be further explored in a later episode this season.

Comment

Originally posted by jmm View Post
                1. Pacing was good, except from a few parts that dragged a bit (The dinner whilst a good plot device to re-acquire ourselves with Kalos' POV was a bit predictable and slow - perhaps with good screen editing...)
                Yeah, I knew that was kind of a long scene. But I didn't really want to shorten it, because it gives some interesting insights into not only Kalos' but really Sivea's POV. For example, who would have thought that that's the way she felt about the war, and the peace talks that took place in "Preemptive Strike?" And we also wanted to be sure that the tension between Sivea and Kalos is always slightly there, that they never really totally see eye to eye.

2. The story was simplistic and the twist while unexpected we were expecting a twist from page 1 (Ok, page 5)
                Just when we thought we didn't need to worry about biogenic weapons anymore...

3. It is good to get back at some stories that are a bit forgotten and untouched since quite a few time.
                That's very true.

4. Even if I like Chris, not having her as lead here was a welcome change
                That's the thing I really like about this season. It's very versatile with regard to the characters. This week Sivea gets the main attention in what is clearly a Sivea episode, while next week we'll have a big Lenori episode coming up (in which we finally get to see his homeworld). They all get to take turns this year.

Sivea/... I think you're giving her too many habilities: Soldier, Commander, Cai'nan, Engineer.... and cook?!
                Well, she always was a soldier, strong leader and a scientist. She's not an egineer, but has some knowledge about those things. To some degree that was really because the story required it, but it's not really much of a stretch. I did like that little reference to Chase a lot (anyone caught it?).

But cook? We didn't say that she could cook, but it's a good question. We might have to figure that out one day if the right scene comes along. The meal in this episode is something that Kalos brought along from Vorian, like he says. I think he just threw it in the microwave or had it delivered straight to his ship.

Comment

The episode didn't tell me much. It's good to have old plots back, but Kalos is not one of my favs. and I find him a little... I don't know... may be a little forced...

Ok, may be is just me, but I don't like him.

And the other bad point is that we come from a double-ep. with a "Earth-internal-affairs" main plot and now we jump to a "Vorian-internal-affairs" main plot. Too much politics and conspiracies. A simple "gatin'-problem-backhome" episode to relax and enjoy would be better...

Anyway, this episode isn't too bad putting my preferences apart. I missed a secondary and lighter plot to change the mood now and then, but... the main plot was good developed.
                  sigpic
                  ~The place to take a break at Horizon~
                  - That's a lie!!!
                  - Indeed it is...

Comment

A nice episode, and enjoyable read, but one thing was bothering me: the repeated mispelling of the word "rogues". It's not "rouges".

Other than that, 4 stars. Nice story.
                    O'NEILL: For all we know, Daniel could came walking in that door right now.
                    [Cut to shot of the door]
                    [Cut back to O'Neill]
                    O'NEILL: Any time now.
                    [Cut back to door]

Comment

Originally posted by Senku View Post
                      and I find him a little... I don't know... may be a little forced...
                      I don't think he's "forced." He's written specifically for Greg Iztin. Not sure if you know that actor, but I think he'd just be absolutely perfect for the part.

Ok, may be is just me, but I don't like him.
                      Hey, Sivea doesn't like him either. Neither does Callen. Or Grant.

I missed a secondary and lighter plot to change the mood now and then, but... the main plot was good developed.
                      Next week's episode "Sins Past" has a fun B-plot that involves Tom.
                      Last edited by Alex Rubit; 14 March 2008, 09:48 PM.

Comment

well i wasn't screaming at the fake politicians this week, but I did enjoy it. and Kalos had better watch out, he is officially on her ****e list. If he so much as talks to her again he may find himself missing a limb or two.

i wonder if Kalos is calculating enough to figure out that using her in such a way is a very bad idea.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what to think of this one. For the first four or so acts it was kinda mundane and a bit boring with barely anything going for it but the final twist was cool. So...bit of a meh episode for me.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Holy Mackrel. So so episode, but one heck of an ending. I will only comment on that for the moment.
                            I can see kalos's point, of wanting to make sure that Vorian is secure from its enemies. But ultimatly, I am on Sivea's side. Especially if there is no more bio weapon, if that is all of it, then it should be destroyed. I did love her punch at the end. That was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                              I can see kalos's point, of wanting to make sure that Vorian is secure from its enemies. But ultimatly, I am on Sivea's side. Especially if there is no more bio weapon, if that is all of it, then it should be destroyed. I did love her punch at the end. That was nice.
                              Sivea and Kalos I think is another one of those great relationships which make for wonderful character dynamics, along the lines of Grant/Sivok or Sivea/Sonak. And this was something we never planned from the start. But after "The Syndicate" I just liked their dynamics so much that I felt we needed to follow up on that, and develop their relationship a little bit more. So I wanted to do a show where they would go on a mission together, which ultimately led to this episode.

One of things I like is how Kalos has grown as a character this year. It wasn't until this year that we've really gotten to know him, and he's quite an interesting and somewhat flawed man, which is what makes him a great character. There's great potential there for the future.

I think this is an episode that people will see in a different light when reading it a second time. Obviously, the first time no one knows what's truly going on, but if you look at it a second time, you see it differently, because you know what's really going on, and when Kalos is telling the truth and when he's lying. If this was on screen I'm sure we'd be seeing some really wonderful acting there.

I felt it was very important to have an episode that followed up on the Kih'Andari war. It wouldn't seem right if we had just ended the Kih'Andari war, saying that all of a sudden everything's okay again. Like Sivea says, that would seem a little too simple. And we also wanted to follow up on the biogenic weapon, and show that this isn't something that will just be forgotten about.

And I absolutely love that punch in the end too!

Comment

Working...
                              X