The Ark of Truth Alteran/Ancient Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ark of Truth Alteran/Ancient Discussion thread

So i decided to start a thread about likes/dislikes of basically the opening alteran scene of them fleeing the ori and the ancient involvement throughout the movie.

Discuss the "village ship", the decision to leave, Morgan, ext.

~Likes~

I was personally glad that the ship they left in was not atlantis as many thought it would be. That would show that the ancients have been stagnant for millions of years. I loved the village ship idea.

I like that they didn't use the ark on the ori. It really fits with the ascended ancient rules and extreme pacifist behavior that we have come to expect of the ancients.

I liked that the writers had enough sense to show the ancient communcation device used in previous seasons in the movie. It showed plot continuity which they sometimes forget we care about.

Morgan pwned Adria straight up and decided to help us. Its nice to see that the ancients (at least some) know the right thing to do. I think the ancients have the best intentions but are extreme pacifists and hate war kinda like the nox, perhaps not to that degree though. (I attribute this attitude to why the wraith pwn the lanteans).

~Dislikes~

I really don't understand the primative village on top of the mountain. Are they the ori? are they the ori's followers and the ori have already ascended?
    Are they alterans living in disguise to fool the ori or their followers(Like the Geni)? I really think they should have elaborated more on that.

Any other thoughts about the alterans/ancients in the movie?
    sigpic

Originally posted by Annubis' hitman View Post
    I was personally glad that the ship they left in was not atlantis as many thought it would be. That would show that the ancients have been stagnant for millions of years. I loved the village ship idea.
    I'm not sure that even an Alteran ship would be able to survive the 50+ Million years that it's been since they left the Ori galaxy.

Of course, the minimum age of Atlantis is "several million" years but I don't think a 50+ million year old ship would still be viable.

(The oldest known stargate is 50 million years old ["Frozen"] and it was "thousands of years" before that when the Alterans left the Ori galaxy ["Avalon, Part 2"].)

Comment

I guess your right about that.

I was glad it wasn't atlantis because that would mean the ancients have been stagnant for a long time and i enjoy when the writers actually show a progression of ancient technology over time.
      edit: A progression over time like it actually would be if stargate was real.
      sigpic

Comment

I thought what we saw of the Alterans in AOT really gave us a lot about who they were before they ascended. I really enjoyed what we got to see of them.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
          I thought what we saw of the Alterans in AOT really gave us a lot about who they were before they ascended. I really enjoyed what we got to see of them.
          agreed.

im interested to see how you/others interperted the villagers though.
          sigpic

Comment

So i decided to start a thread about likes/dislikes of basically the opening alteran scene of them fleeing the ori and the ancient involvement throughout the movie.

Discuss the "village ship", the decision to leave, Morgan, ext.

~Likes~

I like that they didn't use the ark on the ori. It really fits with the ascended ancient rules and extreme pacifist behavior that we have come to expect of the ancients.

I liked that the writers had enough sense to show the ancient communcation device used in previous seasons in the movie. It showed plot continuity which they sometimes forget we care about.

Morgan pwned Adria straight up and decided to help us. Its nice to see that the ancients (at least some) know the right thing to do. I think the ancients have the best intentions but are extreme pacifists and hate war kinda like the nox, perhaps not to that degree though. (I attribute this attitude to why the wraith pwn the lanteans).

~Dislikes~

I really don't understand the primative village on top of the mountain. Are they the ori? are they the ori's followers and the ori have already ascended?
            Are they alterans living in disguise to fool the ori or their followers(Like the Geni)? I really think they should have elaborated more on that.

Any other thoughts about the alterans/ancients in the movie?
            Everyone in the mountains were Alterans. The ones underground (they have a knack for hiding) were merely the scientists and village leaders. I kinda liked how the Alterans were at first. They had a few really good technologies, but their style looked rather antique, especially that power source during the meeting. It showed just how far the Ancients have advanced since their arrival in the MW. Also, they behaved similarly to the Ori underground movement.
            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
              Everyone in the mountains were Alterans. The ones underground (they have a knack for hiding) were merely the scientists and village leaders. I kinda liked how the Alterans were at first. They had a few really good technologies, but their style looked rather antique, especially that power source during the meeting. It showed just how far the Ancients have advanced since their arrival in the MW. Also, they behaved similarly to the Ori underground movement.
              Very much so.

I too think that the villagers above were Alterans as well.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Yeah, I agree. Despite the fact that part of me wishes they were Ori because that would mean we saw them, a greater part believes it makes more sense for the Ori to be in a completely different village (or Celestis).

I do wish we'd seen more of what was going on there, if at least in comments and such. And well, that we hadn't seen the stargate sketches.

This I disliked because the Ori had stargate technology, and even if they stole some of the Alteran knowledge at some point they'd have had to use a stargate to get to Milky Way. They certainly didn't steal any knowledge from the Ortus Mallum, since they would've found the Ark, but who knows, since other stuff from in there were found (communications device).

Unless the Alterans had other villages, which could explain how this specific lab could remain sealed while Ori followers found devices and such millions of years later. This might also explain how the Ori eventually learned how to do stargates, if some other sketches were left elsewhere.

There are other explanations, such as the Ori coming up with it on their own through extrapolation. This is my view of their society:

I don't believe they are at a medieval level of technology, in the sense that they didn't "just get there". I believe they DID reach a very high technological point in their history, and that somehow their technology ended up creating great devastation.

This would explain (to me) why the Ori would be so fanatical about the Alterans abandoning technology and focusing on ascension through religious means. I strongly doubt their religion had any gods or was in any way similar to Origin.

Also, I believe the Ori tolerated Alteran technologies for many years because the Alterans might've provided the Ori with some basic technologies. Ring platforms, staff weapons, communications devices. These all seem small enough that the Ori would appreciate how they made their life easier, but they probably wouldn't want anything too big.

If the Ori had a small level of technology (the typical amount you see with their followers), then they might've been able to develop stargates from that, if at least enough to get to some Alteran outpost in MW and steal more info.

This is all theory, but it's my view of the Alteran and Ori society, post-AOT

Comment

I believe that they were Alterans. They were hiding because they didn't want to fight the Ori. RCC said in an interview that the Alterans could have killed the Ori if they wanted but the ancients we know just decided to avoid any bloodshed at all and leave in the village ship. About the Ori level of technology back then I believe they were 100% against technology of any kind. I don't know why but I believe so. About the stargates. Its a good question. If they Ori were totally against technology then I think that after the Alterans left that they went through the old Alteran villages if any others existed. All we really seen before the ships were made to convert MW is rings. Which they could have easily found lieing around that the Alterans used and simply moved them. As for the Ori. RCC made it sound like they were not ascended when the Alterans left their galaxy. So it makes me wonder what was the religion based on/come from before their ascension. Why were the so adamant about the Alterans being wiped out.

Also. The BIGGEST thing I don't think people get is the Ancients don't simply refuse to interfere because they feel that it isn't their place. But I believe they are deadly afraid of becoming like the Ori. I think they don't believe that if they were to help our plain of existence and were worshiped for it that they wouldn't be able to resist the tempation of the power and become what they hate most.

Comment

My favorite depiction of Ancients were those two from the opening scenes from Rising who didnt say anything but looked strangely powerful and noble and, well, ancient. The idea of them as superior god-like humans is lost when you seem a bunch of peasants chatting in canadian accents sporting 'fros.

Also, were just those half-dozen people the only alterans around? I had always assumed the alteran came to the MW as a mass exodus.
                    Last edited by DeRoest; 13 March 2008, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeRoest View Post
                      My favorite depiction of Ancients were those two from the opening scenes from Rising who didnt say anything but looked strangely powerful and noble and, well, ancient. The idea of them as superior god-like humans is lost when you seem a bunch of peasants chatting in canadian accents sporting 'fros.

Also, were just those half-dozen people the only alterans around? I had always assumed the alteran came to the GW as a mass exodus.
                      That was likely their high council or whatever governing body. There was probably a thousand or so Alterans I guess.

Comment

when the villiage ship took off it reminded me of rising when atlantis took off from the antartic

so i was thinking maybe they used their ship as a biulding block to which later became atlantis due to ancient population growth
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                          when the villiage ship took off it reminded me of rising when atlantis took off from the antartic

so i was thinking maybe they used their ship as a biulding block to which later became atlantis due to ancient population growth
                          I actually think that the village ship was under the mountain of Dakara. Just seemed to me to look like one of those domes on the ship could have been the device they used to seed life.

Comment

Right now it seems as though the leading theory is the whole village was alteran and i think that would make the most sense for a couple of reasons.

1.) when the ship took off it destroyed the village. It would make sense that all the alterans got in the ship and left because if it was the ori they would have still been in the village. If the ori were still in the village they'd be dead and thats why the alterans left, to not kill the ori.

2.) The ori would notice the alterans hiding a massive village-ship in the mountain right by their village.

So im going with the alterans village theory right now.
                            sigpic

Comment

Right now it seems as though the leading theory is the whole village was alteran and i think that would make the most sense for a couple of reasons.

1.) when the ship took off it destroyed the village. It would make sense that all the alterans got in the ship and left because if it was the ori they would have still been in the village. If the ori were still in the village they'd be dead and thats why the alterans left, to not kill the ori.

2.) The ori would notice the alterans hiding a massive village-ship in the mountain right by their village.

So im going with the alterans village theory right now.
                              Exactly. They would not even kill 1 Ori human to flee.

Comment

Working...
                              X