This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! A lowly newbie seeks advice....

I bought & watched SGA seasons 1 - 3, and am an instant fan. I can't wait for season 4 to come on DVD, but in the mean time, should I buy The Ark Of Truth?
    Can I watch it as a stand-alone, or must I get SG1 seasons 9 & 10? Truthfully, I don't have the cashy money to get all of SG1 from the beginning- even getting the last two seasons would be...difficult.

Any assistance here is greatly appreciated!

Sheppardfanisall
    Late to the Gate

Originally posted by Chrisisall View Post
    I bought & watched SGA seasons 1 - 3, and am an instant fan. I can't wait for season 4 to come on DVD, but in the mean time, should I buy The Ark Of Truth?
    Can I watch it as a stand-alone, or must I get SG1 seasons 9 & 10? Truthfully, I don't have the cashy money to get all of SG1 from the beginning- even getting the last two seasons would be...difficult.

Sheppardfanisall
    SG-1 season 9 and 10 are a must really as AoT is the conclusion to that plot line.

But I understand that there is a recap featurette of seasons 9 and 10 on the DVD
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post

But I understand that there is a recap featurette of seasons 9 and 10 on the DVD
      Thanks Carpenter, I just found a review right here at this site that said a 9 minute recap goes before the film, so I CAN see it without seeing 9 & 10- the question seems to be now, are seasons 9 & 10 so great that I shouldn't miss them? Are they as good as seasons 1-3 of SGA, because SGA ROCKS IMO!
      Either way I'm getting The Ark Of Truth, so that's the easy part (it looks REAL good on the ad in SGA season 3).

Ad victim Chrisisall
      Late to the Gate

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisisall View Post

Sheppardfanisall
        Wow, hmm, not sure if you need to watch seasons 9/10. However, SG1 dvds do go on sale every so often. keep an eye on Best Buy, Circuit City and maybe sign up for www.deepdiscount.com, which every so often puts them on sale. Also, fans who bought the all-in-one set of the entire series in one boxed sets are probably trying to sell off their individual sets on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
          Also, fans who bought the all-in-one set of the entire series in one boxed sets are probably trying to sell off their individual sets on eBay.
          OOOoo, great idea Prion, muchly appreciated!

isall
          Late to the Gate

Comment

Get SG1 seasons 1 - 10 that should do you just fine

I would definatly recommend getting 9-10 though without them it would be like watching the last half an hour of a film without having seen the first two hours...it will be very confusing.

Comment

You should definitely watch seasons 9-10 before watching the movie. Not that it's so great (although I liked it) but you won't really enjoy the conclusion of a plotline without knowing what the plotline is about.

Comment

Oh yes, definitely see 9 and 10! The character development is key to understanding the movie IMHO. And if you need more incentive, there's even an episode in season 10 where SG-1 visits Atlantis—lots of fun there! As you might expect, without seeing much of the previous eight seasons some of seasons 9 and 10 and the Ark of Truth won't make perfect sense, but you could get away with it. Have you tried looking into Netflix or your local video rental place or the library, for the older seasons of SG-1? I had good luck there, and so didn't have to buy the series, though I'll definitely get AOT.

I'd say that seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 are almost as good as Atlantis, and the earlier seasons of SG-1 are for the most part a tie (there's more episodes of SG-1 that I didn't like or was indifferent about, and only a couple from SGA). Certainly worth watching, though!

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
                ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

I think you won't be too bad off if you own Atlantis Seasons 1-3. That would give you at least enough background on the Ancients (ascension, rules, philosophy). The episode Sanctuary in Season 1 would be a must to watch over again, especially near the end. Watch the Prelude to Ark of Truth and that should give you the background on the Ori specific stuff. There are a few Replicator episodes in season 3 of Atlantis you might want to take a second look at to see how big of a threat they've been. From Atlantis you should probably also be able to get how the IOA is a thorn in everybodies sides.

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                    Oh yes, definitely see 9 and 10!
                    I've got my local used DVD stores here, and I'm told they pass through every so often, so I'll get what I can when I can...in the meanwhile, I did just get the AOT- I couldn't wait...
                    *looks at his empty wallet*

Hooked Chrisisall
                    Late to the Gate

Comment

Originally posted by Arrakis2013 View Post
                      The episode Sanctuary in Season 1 would be a must to watch over again, especially near the end.
                      Just watched it last night, as a matter of fact!
                      Watch the Prelude to Ark of Truth and that should give you the background on the Ori specific stuff.
                      Definitely!
                      *side note* I just watched Pitch Black, and it was a great flick- EXCEPT THEY KILLED OFF CLAUDIA!!! That better not happen with AOT!

Thanks everyone for the input!! You've all been very helpful!

Appreciative newbieisall
                      Late to the Gate

Comment

Working...
                      X