Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lieutenant Colonel

Default The cityship wasn't Atlantis...

When Daniel learned of the Alterans coming to Earth from the Ori galaxy, I figured they came in Atlantis. It was interesting to see that the cityship in the movie was not Atlantis. I guess this means Atlantis's origins lie in the Milky Way galaxy? Perhaps it was built on Earth? I'd like to see this explored in an episode of SG:A.

Lieutenant Colonel Mister Oragahn's Avatar

Default Re: The cityship wasn't Atlantis...

You think what took off was a cityship? You'd be lucky if it was anything near a villageship.

Colonel

It wasn't Atlantis. It was only a betaversion of Atlantis.

In the first episode of season 9 it only says they left in a great ship
    Daniel: Their whole world is in flames - and we're offering them gasoline. How does that help?
    Teal'c: We are in fact offering water.
    Jack O'Neill: Thank you.
    Daniel: I was speaking metaphorically.
    Jack O'Neill: Well stop it. It's not fair to Teal'c.

Lieutenant Colonel

Mister Oragahn, have you seen the movie? The ship that left was the size of a mountain! I'd call that a cityship.

G.o.d, I know it wasn't Atlantis. I just said that in my first post.

Gary83, that's why I thought it might have been Atlantis.

The ship was definately good size but it wasn't near the size of Atlantis. The village below it wasn't that big.

Lieutenant Colonel TheGreatLordGeorge's Avatar
    A little planet in a remote region of the galaxy

the ship was ulbous and rounded. In the extra features you can clearly see the design and while it may be similar it is not atlantis. It was a big ship, but no where near atlantis size.

I always thought Atlantis was built on Earth so until they say otherwise that's what I'm going with.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
    the ship was ulbous and rounded. In the extra features you can clearly see the design and while it may be similar it is not atlantis. It was a big ship, but no where near atlantis size.
    Really? Is there any way someone could take a cap of this? I'm dying to get a better look at the design of the ship

Why would you have expected it to have been Atlantis? Ancient technology in our galaxy follows a pretty clear 'monolithic' sort of a design; stone, buttons, moving parts, things that look designed to stand the test of time....not to mention having an orange/black colour scheme.

Atlantis and subsequent Pegasus Ancient technology follows the blue/white glowy, 'everything-is-pointy and made of plastic' design philosophy.

Why would they have changed technology/design philosophies for a few million years in our galaxy, just to revert back when they went to Pegasus?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I think most of us knew it wasn't Atlantis considering it was built here in the milkyway as their last hope of fleeing the plague after they'd fled their home galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauron18 View Post
    Really? Is there any way someone could take a cap of this? I'm dying to get a better look at the design of the ship
    Can do!

Lieutenant Colonel Mister Oragahn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    Mister Oragahn, have you seen the movie? The ship that left was the size of a mountain! I'd call that a cityship.
    It took off from a glorified snowy plateau barely big enough to host a village, as far as a I recall.

Here's a story of disapointment:

We learn that the Alterans are from another galaxy. Woah. Why did they move?
    A war with the "Ori".
    Imagination goes rampant. The Ori are ascended beings, but not limited with pesky rules of non interference. They rule a whole galaxy.
    Dang. I have to see that.

They must be ruling an empire of medieval pawns covering many planets, with mighty outdated cities all over the place, and plenty of Ori temples, full of gadgetery.
    They must have the ability to built ships in many numbers... on many planets, using all those powers to assemble them effortlessly.

What we see? The Ori empire is nothing more than something like three villages, at best, and we're not even sure that all of them are on different planets anymore.
    I expect some massive cities, or huge ruins, anything big you know, the leftover from the clash of two great civilizations which have been travelling through their galaxy and beyond.
    Nope, one city, Celestis, and nothing else. Not many fancy things to see there.

As for the ships, well, beyond one valley visibly used to build ships by using primitive structures, there's nothing else to see. We got, what? a total of twelve ori ships?

Ah, of course, I thought the Alterans departed from that galaxy. Oh, that must have been a great exodus. But no. Sorry, we later learn that they left the galaxy in one ship.
    One frakin' ship.
    Uh.

OK, nevermind! It must have been a glorious ship. Something big, fantastic... of course, considering how Atlantis was a letdown (notably when you compare what we got to what was initially explored), my hopes weren't so high.
    Still, I expect something like a worldship, with all Alterans from many planets docking inside that big ass ship, and leaving.

Comes AOT. Nope, it's just another sub Atlantis tug. Yeepee.

Oh but wait, at least that village they departed from... was just one village among many, on another planet!

No. That village is just a chain mountain away from Celestis. So basically, all that great stuff about a formidable conflict of values, opinions and technology, was nothing more than two ******* villages slinging crap at each other.

There are many other things to list, most of them being about what the staff could have added to the Ori lore (we had a thread about what the Ori could have been given) but no, the Ori is just a story about one village with six towers or so grandiloquently called Celestis like if it was anything massive, and that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by KatanaFDF View Post
    Can do!

Nice! Is there any concept art in the special features?

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by kirmit View Post
    I think most of us knew it wasn't Atlantis considering it was built here in the milkyway as their last hope of fleeing the plague after they'd fled their home galaxy.
    That is what I've always thought too.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Lieutenant Colonel Ltcolshepjumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
    It took off from a glorified snowy plateau barely big enough to host a village, as far as a I recall.

A war with the "Ori".
    Imagination goes rampant. The Ori are ascended beings, but not limited with pesky rules of non interference. They rule a whole galaxy.

They must be ruling an empire of medieval pawns covering many planets, with mighty outdated cities all over the place, and plenty of Ori temples, full of gadgetery.
    They must have the ability to built ships in many numbers... on many planets, using all those powers to assemble them effortlessly.

What we see? The Ori empire is nothing more than something like three villages, at best, and we're not even sure that all of them are on different planets anymore.
    I expect some massive cities, or huge ruins, anything big you know, the leftover from the clash of two great civilizations which have been travelling through their galaxy and beyond.

As for the ships, well, beyond one valley visibly used to build ships by using primitive structures, there's nothing else to see. We got, what? a total of twelve ori ships?

Ah, of course, I thought the Alterans departed from that galaxy. Oh, that must have been a great exodus. But no. Sorry, we later learn that they left the galaxy in one ship.
    One frakin' ship.
    Uh.

OK, nevermind! It must have been a glorious ship. Something big, fantastic... of course, considering how Atlantis was a letdown (notably when you compare what we got to what was initially explored), my hopes weren't so high.
    Still, I expect something like a worldship, with all Alterans from many planets docking inside that big ass ship, and leaving.

Oh but wait, at least that village they departed from... was just one village among many, on another planet!

No. That village is just a chain mountain away from Celestis. So basically, all that great stuff about a formidable conflict of values, opinions and technology, was nothing more than two ******* villages slinging crap at each other.

There are many other things to list, most of them being about what the staff could have added to the Ori lore (we had a thread about what the Ori could have been given) but no, the Ori is just a story about one village with six towers or so grandiloquently called Celestis like if it was anything massive, and that's all.
    Yeah, it is kinda lame. The Alterans were COMPLETELY PEACEFUL. The Ori, on the other hand, were prepared to kill them. The Alterans left in a village ship. Celestis, probably constructed long after the Alterans left, was more so the Ori version of Kheb.
    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...
    http://forum.gateworld.net/picture.p...ictureid=12118
    ... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
    Spoiler:

A war with the "Ori".

One frakin' ship.
    Uh.

I don't want to sound insulting but it sounds more like you wanted to see a documentary about the Ori galaxy instead of a story.

They can't waste time showing every Prior in every village of the Ori Galaxy during the montage because it would just take forever and be a huge waste of time. It's kinda like the montage of Order 66 in RotS. Just because they didn't show every Jedi being killed doesn't mean it was just the 5 they did show.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
    I don't want to sound insulting but it sounds more like you wanted to see a documentary about the Ori galaxy instead of a story.

They can't waste time showing every Prior in every village of the Ori Galaxy during the montage because it would just take forever and be a huge waste of time. It's kinda like the montage of Order 66 in RotS. Just because they didn't show every Jedi being killed doesn't mean it was just the 5 they did show.

Don't worry he complains about everything. I respect people's opinions but I can't remember the last time I read he liked something.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by g.o.d View Post
    It wasn't Atlantis. It was only a betaversion of Atlantis.
    perhaps the nerdiest thing I heard this week

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
    I don't want to sound insulting but it sounds more like you wanted to see a documentary about the Ori galaxy instead of a story .
    I would like to see that. It would more interesting than AoT.

why not? Insteadof National Geographic, they could have made a scene when we saw Ori cities (when they weren't ascended) in flashbacks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast