The Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a different sun from this one.

Though I guess it's certainly possible that this sun can do the same thing.

Comment

The only problem with the idea that they knew the star was older when they landed is that HoloMcKay shouldn't have been surprised that the sun was going nova when John got there. These things are pretty predictable, from what I understand.

That said, it's a convenient explanation of the environment. I'm willing to go with them on it since it is sci fi. Maybe someone experimented on the sun after the expedition left since they didn't know Atlantis was there. It was a secret that in theory, only Todd knew and he got blowed up.

Besides, how else are we going to get Shep all sand blasted? lol
      sigpic

Comment

You are correct. Stars lives and transitions through the cycles of its life occurs over periods of Billions of years. The transition shown in SGA was WAY too fast.

KlaxxonBlue

Comment

First of all, all of you are saying that the star evolved. Now I know that in the Stargate universe, evolution is supposedly true. But how can you believe that that all of this order came out of such a chaotic moment as the Big Bang. Eventually, at some point in your life, you will realize that there is evidence of design. Now whether or not you like it, you will realize it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlor View Post
            I'm no astronomer, but doesn't the evolution of a star take place on the timescale of millions and billions of years and not 48,000? The star should not have been able to drastically change the planet to such an extent in such a small period of time. And only an additional 500 years to completely remove the atmosphere sounds even more suspect.

I still enjoyed the episode though.
            it's a alien sun/.....

Comment

Originally posted by mike123 View Post
              First of all, all of you are saying that the star evolved. Now I know that in the Stargate universe, evolution is supposedly true. But how can you believe that that all of this order came out of such a chaotic moment as the Big Bang. Eventually, at some point in your life, you will realize that there is evidence of design. Now whether or not you like it, you will realize it.
              There is zero evidence of design. I wish I were confident you'd realise this at some point in your life, but unfortunately I'm not. On a lighter note - LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                There is zero evidence of design. I wish I were confident you'd realise this at some point in your life, but unfortunately I'm not. On a lighter note - LOL.
                How can you say there is not design. Everyone has there own personal view of life (some are the same and some of are not) and I am not trying to conform the entire world to my view (even though that would be nice).

So, Jenks, are you saying that all of this order came out of a chaotic moment such as the Big Bang. How was the energy there if there wasn't anything there to begin with?

Comment

How can you say there is not design. Everyone has there own personal view of life (some are the same and some of are not) and I am not trying to conform the entire world to my view (even though that would be nice).

So, Jenks, are you saying that all of this order came out of a chaotic moment such as the Big Bang. How was the energy there if there wasn't anything there to begin with?
                  I don't know. Regardless, there is still no evidence of design. Our lack of understanding doesn't add any weight to the idea that there is some sort of supernatural answer out there, a thousand years ago we didn't know what caused volcanoes or earthquakes, that doesn't mean that they're 'acts of God', though the ignorant majority of the time would of had you believe so.

Comment

igornant?

Comment

What?

Comment

I don't know. I guess I was a little offended by that. What do you mean by ignorant majority?

Comment

The majority of people, if not all people back then wouldn't have known how earthquakes and other natural disasters occur, they'd have been ignorant of their causes and would have attributed them to something supernatural like a god or demon or something. Wrongly.

Comment

Seriously?

This is going to be good. It's not even the same kind of evolution.

Comment

I 'Thank god' () that most people nowadays have seen past 'creationism' and 'design', and realised that evolution is much more likely to be the true force in this universe. Well, here in Britain at least.

And no, conforming to that view would not be 'nice' at all. People totally avoiding the facts and the evidence and believeing in something much less realistic, taking a massive step backwards from where we are now? Sounds a little like the dark ages to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X