X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civil Defense (413)

Stargate: Horizon
    Civil Defense

While Colonel Grant is getting closer to tracking down the people behind the Malaysia explosion, Christine discovers a traitor within President Connelly's administration.

Check it out!

Then stop back here for comments and discussion!
    Outstanding
    50.00%
    Good
    31.25%
    Fair
    6.25%
    Poor
    6.25%
    Terrible
    6.25%
    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 06 March 2008, 08:40 AM.

The episode is now up!

A little earlier today than normally, but I figured no one would probably complain about that.

Enjoy!
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rubit View Post
      The episode is now up!

A little earlier today than normally, but I figured no one would probably complain about that.

Enjoy!
      Well I am gonna complain, I mean I was hoping to do some work tonight and then you go and released the episode early, whole well it better than work through, shame the episode was boring, predictable and lame and did I mention predictable.

I mean seriously the whole episode was far far to predictable, Bellermorphon was never gonna face any real danger, it had it's main character shields well and truly up.

The middle bit just spells of unambitious boring writing, and I square I have seen the exact same scenario played out exactly the same way, in well over dozen shows or books, completely unoriginal and uninspiring writing.

Then the great set up you add on the international front, all
      came to a boring off screen solution, it did not even tie into the rest of the episode nicely either, again boring yawn, and I was set up for them seeing the full debate the issues.

The only redeeming thing about this episode, was the ending, for one it could not of came soon enough and but it was nice to see chase back, but the end felt tag on and unrelated to anything else than happens in the ep.

And what hell what does NID do for their day jobs, I mean seriously undisclosed meeting, redeployment to troops, and all this did not go undetected, you have got to be kidding me.

And then no plans to take care of the joint chiefs, a major over sight. Leaving traceable phone calls, sloppy, then meeting in public places without cover stories in place, sloppy. All this just all smells of a poorly organized and poorly orchestrated plot, even I could plot to overthrow a government.

Then Enoly cruiser, I mean the Russian seem of have ace up is sleeve, specially after we have seen Bellerophon is more than capable of going one on one with a Enoly cruiser, and yet part from a couple fancy maneuver, nothing. I mean seriously the Russian general should of used Saturn for their advantage, would of made far better story, and actually back up his confidence of winning the fight, and stop the long long boring history of stargate always having the Russians getting beaten the crap out of, again boring and totally predictable.

And a other thing, why did they allow a Russian general to take command, surly general charlson would know more than few air force personal he could trust to command the vessel or better yet, a brief explanation to why he was put in command would of enhance the story.

Well frankly I was disappointed with this episode, and hope to see the horizon return to form next episode.
      Last edited by knowles2; 06 March 2008, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Chase i Dont believe this. You said Chase was in 4 episodes im guess the other 3 will be towards the end of the season?

Comment

Well, that was about as bad as Knowles said it was. I'm amazed! I'm not even the only one. And Alex, I'm sorry, but having Mike's name on an episode doesn't save it from my opinion.

Yeah, bad, bad plotting here. Lemme get this straight.
          NID knows that Kevin, Charleston, and Brewer are planning a coup.
          Evan knows that Kevin, Charleston, and Brewer are planning a coup.
          Charleston and Brewer move troops into positions from which they can launch their coup.
          Connelly has no idea what's going on. The CIA is clueless. No one and nothing else has any idea that this is occuring.

I'm sorry, but the only way you could make this plot work is if you basically castrated the United States intelligence organizations.

This show has too many main characters. Episodes are staggering under their weight: this cannot go on. The characters are not being developed, and they're not interacting well enough.

Every good character is invincible. Come on - Evan lives, but Brewer and the hapless extra die? That's a hard sell. How much training does Evan have in hand-to-hand combat, versus a major in the armed services? I'd think the latter would have a bit more training.

The battle with the enoly ship was pitiful. Yes, blowing up the surface of Saturn to kill the ship is cool. But there was zero tension at all. I mean, the tension was about as taut as a string of limp spaghetti. Seriously: putting two clearly evil people, whose only appearances in the entire series are in this episode, in charge of the Enoly ship, versus the Bellerophone with half the mains onboard. Yeouch. That Enoly ship has a Huckabee's chance in the Republican primaries of coming out alive.

The whole 'move the gate to Antarctica' thing being off-screen was lame. Yes, you were pressed for time and all, but hey; reduce your least-utilized mains to recurring, give less pivotal to recurring characters, and trim the other plotlines a bit. For a space battle as short as the one in this episode, the build-up was mostly unnecessary. Of all the plotlines, that should have been the one given the least focus - the battle on Earth would have been far more interesting.

I'm sure I could say more, but I know it's moot anyway. Lemme guess, Alex - I have no life, right? And Knowles, too?

Overall: **

Comment

I hate to say it, but I agree... "What Fear Does" was such a good build up, this fell short for me. It was quite predictable, and I'm really trying to like it... but I just can't. The characters all seemed slightly off, too, which is a shock since the continuity with development is usually superb.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Good episode, did I miss something. When did Chase leave and to be with the aliens?
              sigpic
              The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Comment

Overall a good episode, needed more ships though. Earth doesn't have 2-4 daedalus class vessel's in system on patrol, or at least within 10 light years? I was expecting one of them to come around the back side of Saturn to trap the cruiser in a cross fire. As it was sweeping the system from pluto inwards.

Major planetary lapse in security. SG1 and Atlantis can get away with it as they only had 2-3 ships.

I think Kevin changed his views too easily. he committed himself to help a general stage a coup, where they were deploying bombs from space and killing civilians to stir unrest. Maybe all he really need was to be held accountable by his sister that could break him I guess, it is what happened.

Also having two different shadowy figures in the same episode is bad. It had me thinking that Chase was responsible for turning Kevin, even though that wasn't the point.

edit: Random bit of information that turns up 5 minutes after I finish the episode. http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/pres...cfm?newsID=820 One of Saturn moons has a Ring. i wonder if it is debris from an enoly cruiser?
                Last edited by peragrin; 06 March 2008, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Darned curiosity. Now I don't want to read the episode....today!
                  Well, maybe next week

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    I hate to say it, but I agree... "What Fear Does" was such a good build up, this fell short for me.
                    This may come as a surprise (or maybe not), but I agree. "What Fear Does" is one of my favorites of the year, and I always felt that part two never quite lived up to part one. It had a lot of challenges during its development stage, and we had to cut a tone of it because the original version was running too long. And I think that's what hurt it quite a bit.

For example, I think that the whole part with the Bellerophon and the Enoly ship is kinda disappointing. Originally we were going to see much more of Chapovsky and his guys. I really can't remember exactly how it was in the outline, but most of that had to go. So I think Chapovsky and Co. come off as very two dimensional, without any real sense of threat or danger to them. I also wish we would have found a way to make more use of Evan Parke towards the end, but the showdown had to be between Christine and Kevin. Having Evan in that scene wouldn't have worked, so, of course, he had to get wounded.

That said, there are a lot of things that I do like about the episode. I love the Evan Parke character, and as you've probably guessed, we haven't seen the last of him. I also like the beats between Christine and Kevin and Christine and Evan. And, of course, I do love the final scene.

But all in all, this isn't my favorite episode of the season either.

The characters all seemed slightly off, too, which is a shock since the continuity with development is usually superb.
                    I'm sorry, but I can't say that I'd agree with that. None of us wrote the characters any different in this episode than we do in any other episode. And trust me -- I do know these characters. This is the way they are. But I might be able to comment more on that if you have a specific line or action that you thought was off. Might be something I missed. Either way, I'd be happy to discuss it.
                    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 06 March 2008, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                      I think Kevin changed his views too easily. he committed himself to help a general stage a coup, where they were deploying bombs from space and killing civilians to stir unrest. Maybe all he really need was to be held accountable by his sister that could break him I guess, it is what happened.
                      Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. He did have doubts all along, but it took someone who was close to him to kind of turn him around. He never agreed that any civilians would be killed, though. Things just went out of control.

Also having two different shadowy figures in the same episode is bad. It had me thinking that Chase was responsible for turning Kevin, even though that wasn't the point.
                      I'm not sure who you're talking about here. Two "shadowy figures?"

One of Saturn moons has a Ring. i wonder if it is debris from an enoly cruiser?
                      Just don't tell anyone about it. It has to stay between you and me. I'm sure no one else is reading this. Pretty sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Elitenova View Post
                        did I miss something.
                        Uh... probably.

When did Chase leave and to be with the aliens?
                        Hmm... a while ago.

Seriously. Of course, you missed something if you haven't been reading the last couple of episodes. But fortunately you can always catch up.
                        Last edited by Alex Rubit; 06 March 2008, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                          Chase i Dont believe this. You said Chase was in 4 episodes im guess the other 3 will be towards the end of the season?
                          Yup. This counts as one of his episodes.

It is looking now like he'll only be in three all together actually. So he'll be in two more. One of which will be his actual return.

Comment

Originally posted by jmm View Post
                            Darned curiosity. Now I don't want to read the episode....today!
                            Well, maybe next week
                            Huh? Why would you not want to read the episode? Wouldn't rather see it so you can have your own oppinion?

Comment

I need a few days to forget all the good and bad things I have read here. Otherwise I'll read the episode biased.

Next time I'll avoid reading episode's threads until I have read the episode. I need to remember to check the horizon web site instead of GW to get the link

Comment

Working...
                              X