Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Beckett SHOULD have returned (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan View Post
    I think that actually just reinforces my thought that they thought they needed to ramp up the danger factor. For instance, they killed Janet to shake things up as well, but that wasn't a ratings ploy, I don't think.

Anyway, like you said, it doesn't matter. That's not what's at issue.

You're right that they wrote themselves into a box. I guess the problem was: this was an all-or-nothing proposition. The only value writing him out of the show had was the emotional and shock value, which couldn't really be achieved by him accepting a transfer to Earth or something comparable.
    I agree that changing jobs certainly doesn't have the impact of dying.

I just imagine the scene, "Guys? I've decided to...take another job." Shock. Horror. Wringing hands. Tears. -- Or not. LOL.

I don't know why they wrote him out - behind the scenes stuff is my understanding and all I want to know. Ramping up the danger factor is a good possibility too. I'm glad Carson is back and I'm glad Current!Carson is the clone versus the one from Sunday.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
    O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

I actually like the clone. It gave Becket a touch of darkness to his character.
      These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan View Post
        I think that actually just reinforces my thought that they thought they needed to ramp up the danger factor. For instance, they killed Janet to shake things up as well, but that wasn't a ratings ploy, I don't think.

Anyway, like you said, it doesn't matter. That's not what's at issue.

You're right that they wrote themselves into a box. I guess the problem was: this was an all-or-nothing proposition. The only value writing him out of the show had was the emotional and shock value, which couldn't really be achieved by him accepting a transfer to Earth or something comparable.
        actually it was neither. Season 7 was supposed to be the last, they wanted to end the show with some drama value. When they found out they were renewed the cast begged for TR to stay but the ep was already written and approved. Then TR found out she wouldn't have been available to be the doctor anyways due to another show. (I believe this what sky told me from her interview she gave.)

Anyways, it wasn't a ratings ploy or to shake things up. They wrote the ep as a tribute to the men and women in the armed forces.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
          I actually like the clone. It gave Becket a touch of darkness to his character.
          I find that quality cheapens the clone even further. Because one can set back and say..."the real carson wouldn't do that." and that just makes the clone less valuable.

I also think Sheppard is a clone too after watching Miller's Crossing. "The real sheppard wouldn't be that dark either."

It's one thing to give your "main character" some flaws but it's another when you turn their personality into something less than becoming. It cheapens the character and puts them in the same line of view as your bad guy.

If you are going to have a "darker character" you need to establish that in the beginning, not change the character later on. And usually the "anti-hero" character is the PO'd postal worker that your audience is supposed to identify with...not question their actions. You really can't have your "good guy" go into "anti-hero" mod when you already have an established good guy vs. bad guy arc like Stargate had. You can give your good guy faults, ticks, make them grumpy but not change the dynamic of who are your good guys and who are your bad guys without turning that dynamic into a plot device.
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I was hoping for something along the line of what they did in DS9. When Worf and Garak are captured by the Dominion, they are taken to an internment camp where they find Bashir, who was captured months ago and has been replaced with a changeling.
            I still remember seeing that episode because it was something that had not been hinted at in previous episodes, it just came out of nowhere and you feel the same shock as the characters.
            That was a damn good way to add a plot twist and I was hoping PTB would do the same.

They could've just said that Michael found a cloning facility like the one in 'Spoils of War' but smaller and thus capable of producing a clone without a ZPM. He then used a sample of DNA he took from Beckett in 'Misbegotten, grew the clone, and then swapped them out at the earliest opportunity.
            They could've done a simple flashback to the swap, making it happen in a mission we haven't seen or, even more clever, integrating it into a mission we have seen.

It could've been easily and plausibly explained and then we wouldn't have all this 'he's a clone' rubbish. I was hoping for something a little more ingenious from PTB. I hate to say it, but it seems they just took the easy way out rather than really trying to bring Carson back in a clever way.

Very disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post

They could've just said that Michael found a cloning facility like the one in 'Spoils of War' but smaller and thus capable of producing a clone without a ZPM. He then used a sample of DNA he took from Beckett in 'Misbegotten, grew the clone, and then swapped them out at the earliest opportunity.
              They could've done a simple flashback to the swap, making it happen in a mission we haven't seen or, even more clever, integrating it into a mission we have seen.
              But why would Michael make a switch in the first place? The Bashir situation was different, since the POINT was the switch. The Dominion wanted one of their own on the frontlines, but on the enemy's side.

Michael just wanted Beckett and his knowledge. That's it. Any Beckett will do.

Comment

At first I was upset that it was a Clone.I wanted the real thing one back. I keep thinking though out the episode that it going to come out that it was a clone that died and that was the real Beckett. I thought it would have made sense that Michael took the original and held him captive. I would think Michael would have enjoy being in control of the man who created what Michael is now.
                I think Clone Carson will always feel like he has to prove himself and that he is more that just a clone. It makes his storyline with Michael more exciting. You know it has to bother him that chances are he could never go back to see his family and friends on earth. I think this Carson will be a little bit tougher after what all he been though but he will still have heart we know. I thought Paul shined in Kindred part 2 and I am just thankful we have Beckett.

Comment

Working...
                X