What the Heck was wrong with Teyla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Repli!kat View Post
    OK, this is going to come across wrong no matter how I say it, so I apologize in advance!
    Guys, aside from the obvious (love, companionship, back rubs, taking out the trash), what is the ultimate biologic purpose of a man? To provide a woman with a child. To carry on the species.
    In western culture, a woman is expected to place the needs of her children above those of her husband/lover/boyfriend. So much so, in fact, that women who prioritize their men over their children are considered pathological, even criminal in some cases.
    Teyla has been written as having sensibilities that effectively agree with this view, IMHO. If there had been some dialog somewhere that shows that in her culture, the opposite is true, I would have no problem with her actions. But it did seem OOC what she did, given the history we have seen.
    I like guys, love them in fact, but given the choice between my child and my lover, it's the kid for the win, every time.
    She was concerned for her kid very much so, but she also can't ignore her love for Kanan.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      That and she truly loves Kanan.
      Really? Where's the proof? Because she says so? Because she looks teary-eyed? Because she does something incredibly, dangerously stupid and puts the life of her unborn child in jeopardy? Please. IMO that isn't proof, that's lazy writing. She loves Kanaan because TPTB needed to explain her pregnancy. He wasn't even a real character until now, created whole cloth to suit a specific purpose: Papa Backstory. And she put her baby's life back in the hands of a monster because it was convenient for the plot; Kanaan was just an excuse, and not a very strong one, IMO. There are a couple of ways she could have worked to rescue him that wouldn't have risked her or her baby's life. But no, that isn't dramatic enough. This way Michael has a chance to further profane the baby, and if that means making Teyla into an idiot, so be it. Won't be the first time TPTB have lobotomized characters to suit a half-baked plot and it won't be the last, either.
      Last edited by ShadowMaat; 04 March 2008, 03:47 PM. Reason: coding fix

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
        Really? Where's the proof? Because she says so? Because she looks teary-eyed? Because she does something incredibly, dangerously stupid and puts the life of her unborn child in jeopardy? Please. IMO that isn't proof, that's lazy writing. She loves Kanaan because TPTB needed to explain her pregnancy. He wasn't even a real character until now, created whole cloth to suit a specific purpose: Papa Backstory. And she put her baby's life back in the hands of a monster because it was convenient for the plot; Kanaan was just an excuse, and not a very strong one, IMO. There are a couple of ways she could have worked to rescue him that wouldn't have risked her or her baby's life. But no, that isn't [o]dramatic[/i] enough. This way Michael has a chance to further profane the baby, and if that means making Teyla into an idiot, so be it. Won't be the first time TPTB have lobotomized characters to suit a half-baked plot and it won't be the last, either.
        You seem confused, what exactly has one got to do with the other?

Comment

What the Heck was wrong with Teyla
          I have to wonder the same

I'm a mom, there's no way - that if I crossed paths with a Michael who wants to use my baby for Lord only knows what, that I'd not jump at the chance to escape. I would try to find another way to save Kanaan.

I have wondered if Michael could have similar influence over her like he has over the other mindless robot-wraith-worshippers?

btw what was in that shot he gave her (or her baby)?

Comment

Maybe the shot was just to insure Teyla's complacency and help Michael exert control. That'd explain SOME of her lack of reaction as well as her moronic insistence on staying with Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
              Its the leather pants there constircting the blood flow a impairing her judgement. Who decided to put leather pants on a women in late term pregancy? stupidity!!
              I agree, Teyla's maternity outfits have been dreadful, with bulky jackets and billowy layered tops that make her look heavier than she is. Plain twill or cotton in black would have been more slimming than many pounds of leather.

Eureka did a great job of creating beautiful maternity wear for the Allison character.
              sigpic

Comment

Pregnant women can look beautiful and sexy, but that... costume she was wearing was tacky and unflattering. Or I thought it was, anyway. I'm never sure if it's the fault of the costuming department or if it's the fault of the higher-ups telling the costumers what to make.

Comment

Really? Where's the proof? Because she says so? Because she looks teary-eyed? Because she does something incredibly, dangerously stupid and puts the life of her unborn child in jeopardy? Please. IMO that isn't proof, that's lazy writing. She loves Kanaan because TPTB needed to explain her pregnancy. He wasn't even a real character until now, created whole cloth to suit a specific purpose: Papa Backstory. And she put her baby's life back in the hands of a monster because it was convenient for the plot; Kanaan was just an excuse, and not a very strong one, IMO. There are a couple of ways she could have worked to rescue him that wouldn't have risked her or her baby's life. But no, that isn't [o]dramatic[/i] enough. This way Michael has a chance to further profane the baby, and if that means making Teyla into an idiot, so be it. Won't be the first time TPTB have lobotomized characters to suit a half-baked plot and it won't be the last, either.
                  Oh please. Rachel is very good portraying emotions and she accurately has shown her love for him. How is it lazy writing when writing a script that involves a love interest?

Comment

Oh please. Rachel is very good portraying emotions and she accurately has shown her love for him. How is it lazy writing when writing a script that involves a love interest?
                    When there's an actual love interest, that's fine, but just making one up on the spot with no background and no showing instead of telling, I'm disinclined to believe it. Yes, Rachel does fine with portraying emotions, but it takes two to accurately portray a relationship. At least in my book.

Comment

When there's an actual love interest, that's fine, but just making one up on the spot with no background and no showing instead of telling, I'm disinclined to believe it. Yes, Rachel does fine with portraying emotions, but it takes two to accurately portray a relationship. At least in my book.
                      Well I disagree.I see your point but for the direction of the plot it was done well.

Comment

Because of the numerous fundamental flaws in the construction and approach of the overall scenarios, the individual scripts and scenes are extremely weak despite the actors' best efforts. They can try as hard as they can to make any one scene powerful, but without dramatic leverage provided by effective design of the story, there's only so much they can do.

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnDream View Post
                          Because of the numerous fundamental flaws in the construction and approach of the overall scenarios, the individual scripts and scenes are extremely weak despite the actors' best efforts. They can try as hard as they can to make any one scene powerful, but without dramatic leverage provided by effective design of the story, there's only so much they can do.
                          I disagree. The show has all that and more IMO.

Comment

IMO Tayla is under Michael's influence since they are connected by a mind link. I think Michael was using Kaann like a dangling carrot to keep her from leaving. I wonder if the stuff he injected into her baby was another form of control Just my simple humble opinion

LS

Comment

Working...
                            X