X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Fear Does (412)

Stargate: Horizon
    What Fear Does

A chain of events is set into motion that could potentially destroy the infrastructure of the ISGC and initiate a third world war.

Check it out!

Then stop back here for comments and discussion!
    Outstanding
    55.56%
    Good
    22.22%
    Fair
    16.67%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    5.56%
    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 28 February 2008, 12:12 PM.

Well I have been waiting for this two-parter for oh quite some time so whats with the suspense.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      Well I have been waiting for this two-parter for oh quite some time so whats with the suspense.
      Well, the wait is finally over, and the episode is now up on the site.
      Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Well This Episode was Really Good. i'm a little disappointed about the action in this episode but i realized that this episode is much like the devil to pay back in season 2 hopefully civil defense will be action packed hopefully. btw our moore and brennan dead cause i have this sinking feeling that they were beamed away.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
          Well This Episode was Really Good. i'm a little disappointed about the action in this episode but i realized that this episode is much like the devil to pay back in season 2 hopefully civil defense will be action packed hopefully. btw our moore and brennan dead cause i have this sinking feeling that they were beamed away.
          I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah, this was certainly not conceived as an action episode. We did take in a way a similiar approach as we did with "The Devil to Pay." But this episode isn't designed to be a "mid season finale," which is why there's no long hiauts following it. At the same time, it's also not designed to run with part two immediately following it, because we want you guys to speculate a little bit between now and next week.

Comment

Good episode.
            The best part is that it feels like a fiercely thickening plot.
            Some interactions are really good, and the familiarity between characters continues to be shown (Sivea-Christine, Zach-David-Tom-Chuck)
            I'm a bit disappointed with the interactions with Grant. I don't know, in this kind of episodes in my mind he becomes Jack Bauer (Is the team READY? THEN GO! GO! GO!), not John Grant (OK, Lieutenant, proceed)
            The brother/sister rift... very nicely done.

The bad, oh dear, EVAN. It's too evident his involvement, I actually knew he was up to something the moment I read his name (And I knew then that the US or at least an US faction is under the attacks)
            Zuckov (Zuchov/Zucker/Whatever), I was Impressed by the first scene (before he speaks), disappointed afterwards. Probably watching a live actor (or at least knowing the actor's name) is required to buy his attitude and stance.
            Woolsey. Clearly underutilized. Knowing the character ways, he would have stopped the interruptions, regardless of who was interrupting. This guy would have quoted the breach ("May I remind you ladies and gentleman, that every member has the right to express herself or himself without any kind of interference from other parties..." and "Any individual caught in violation of such right may cause...") of the ISGC Meeting Rule book.
            Too underutilized to my taste. In fact, he could have been replaced by any new character and we wouldn't have noticed.

Bland characters: Jackson and Callen. They should have done much more, and Jackson should know by now how to avoid traps like the one Zuchov set up.

In the final analysis: Story trumps over (bad) *acting*. The build-up is good and we have enough head scratchers to keep us waiting (and commenting/speculating).

*** out of 4

Comment

Originally posted by jmm View Post
              Some interactions are really good, and the familiarity between characters continues to be shown (Sivea-Christine, Zach-David-Tom-Chuck)
              I like those kind of moments a lot. We'll definitely be seeing much more of those.

I'm a bit disappointed with the interactions with Grant. I don't know, in this kind of episodes in my mind he becomes Jack Bauer (Is the team READY? THEN GO! GO! GO!), not John Grant (OK, Lieutenant, proceed)
              That's true. I'm not sure if it's a bad thing, though. It didn't bother me, but it is easy to see the parallels there. And the fact that you do see them, just means you're picturing Grant and his voice the way it's intended.

Both Mike and I are huge fans of 24, so it was kind of fun having Grant in a situation that's similiar to something you'd see on 24. But at the end of the day, this is still Stargate, which part two will make obvious. Don't want to give anything away, though.

Probably watching a live actor (or at least knowing the actor's name) is required to buy his attitude and stance.
              Yeah, I think that's often the case. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about it, but the truth is it's definitely something where it tends to get more tricky for us, since the audience will read the episodes rather than watching them. And oftentimes it does take a really good actor to bring certain characters to live; usually, if it's characters that we don't get to know too well. So the casting in this particular case would be very crucial.

But I think Zukov's position and oppinion isn't that hard to understand. He's just pissed off basically. He doesn't like the fact that, even now with the Stargate being public, the US are still the ones who are really running the show to a large degree. I think it would just be a matter of time until that would start heating up, which is what's happening now.

Woolsey. Clearly underutilized.
              He plays a more important role in part two. In the first draft this was just a new character (I don't think he even had a name), but then we decided to make it Woolsey just because in part two we wanted a more familiar face there.

Knowing the character ways, he would have stopped the interruptions, regardless of who was interrupting. This guy would have quoted the breach ("May I remind you ladies and gentleman, that every member has the right to express herself or himself without any kind of interference from other parties..." and "Any individual caught in violation of such right may cause...") of the ISGC Meeting Rule book.
              That's an interesting point. But our take on it was that he'd feel pretty uncomfortable with the situation he's in, being forced to try and remain neutral, when most likely he's on the side of the US.

Bland characters: Jackson and Callen. They should have done much more, and Jackson should know by now how to avoid traps like the one Zuchov set up.
              I don't know if you can call either Callen or Daniel bland characters. That kind of disregards all the development they've had in the past. Sure, they could have done more. But what most people always forget is that you only have 42 minutes to tell the story; roughly 60 pages in our case. There's only so and so much you can do, and the focus of this episode is more on Grant and Christine.

In the final analysis: Story trumps over (bad) *acting*. The build-up is good and we have enough head scratchers to keep us waiting (and commenting/speculating).
              I'm kinda curious what you mean by "bad acting." Don't blame the actors. Especially since they don't even know that they're on this show (at least, as far as I know). Feel free to just blame the writers; we can take it.

But seriously, I'm glad you enjoyed the episode. Can't wait to see what you'll think of part two.
              Last edited by Alex Rubit; 28 February 2008, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Holy 24 batman.

Quite possibly the best episode of Horizon to date, IMO.
                More to say when I reread it tomorrow.

Comment

great ep. my only nitpick is that david and tom dont get to come earth and u could tell evan was gonna have something to do with it. cant wait for the next one.

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                  Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

I hate two-parters when I can't get the second one immediately after reading the first one, but... that's indeed my problem, not yours

Anyway, the episode, with its "pros" and "cons", is something brilliant. The plot is so well planned that sinks the reader since the very first steps. I, like Alex, love those character-development/character-interactions moments. Those make these shows more believable and realistic. People do things, normal things, when they aren't saving the country/planet/galaxy/universe/plane-of-existence/whatever... Those things define characters as much as how they fight or hay they speak to an enemy. And it's good to hear that we'll have more of those moments.

I concur with jmm about the use of Mr. Woolsey. He should use more of his temper and personality. Ok, the situation isn't exactly the same as en previous occasions, he stands where he stands, in front of the leaders of the world. Well, but yet, he is not quite himself IMO.

Grant is a pro and he does his job quite well. If he has a resemblance to another character... well, that's because both characters make their jobs pretty well!!

At some point seems quite obvious that there's a conspiracy in the US goverment, but for quite some time, I believed otherwise.

In resume, magnificent job guys Make the next one the best ending for this two-parter
                    sigpic
                    ~The place to take a break at Horizon~
                    - That's a lie!!!
                    - Indeed it is...

Comment

I do think the conclusion (especially the last act) should throw folks for a loop.
                      Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                      Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                      Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                      Stargate Destiny, Fan
                      Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGulf1 View Post
                        I do think the conclusion (especially the last act) should throw folks for a loop.
                        awwww the suspence

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                        Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Well Alex you and the team must have done something right. I found myself swearing at the ignorance and scheming of politicians once again.

and they weren't even real politicians the story was very compelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                            Quite possibly the best episode of Horizon to date, IMO.
                            Thanks a lot. I don't take that for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by Senku View Post
                              I, like Alex, love those character-development/character-interactions moments. Those make these shows more believable and realistic. People do things, normal things, when they aren't saving the country/planet/galaxy/universe/plane-of-existence/whatever... Those things define characters as much as how they fight or hay they speak to an enemy. And it's good to hear that we'll have more of those moments.
                              That's very true. We've made it a point to focus more on these kinds of moments this season than in the previous seasons. A great deal of episodes have little every day moments in them, sometimes even entire b-plots, like in "Fighting Ground" or "Survival Instinct."

Well, but yet, he is not quite himself IMO.
                              That's true actually. Maybe he's got something on his mind he hasn't told us about yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X