Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real Version of "All Along The Watchtower?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Version of "All Along The Watchtower?

Hi guys and gals,

I read sometime ago on Bear's blog when the S3 soundtrack was released that he was going to make available the version of the song that played at the end of Crossroads Pt 2, which differs significantly in structure to the one released on the soundtrack.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard more on this? I've been checking his blog but sometimes I'm dense and miss things...

From what I can tell you're right. There is a slight difference between the score within the ep, and the score on the music CD.

On the s3 music CD there are TWO tracks - "Heeding the Call", and "All Along the Watch Tower".
    But as broadcast, listening to the score within the actual ep, "Crossroads Part II", there appears to be a very short bridging section between the two tracks that isn't included on the CD.
    The missing piece, I think, is a short percussion bridge that occurs as Tigh is stepping from the corridor, into CIC, with Tory in tow.
    I suspect that the two tracks were written, and probably even thought of, as two separate pieces of music for two separate scenes. During editing, I suspect, a bridging section was created to cover the action occurring on screen (Tory and Tigh entering CIC), that similarly acts as the bridge between two separate scenes. The bridge was probably created by simply pulling back all the instruments in the mix other than one or two of the percussion tracks.

Unfortunately, that tiny, simple, percussion bridge, "glues" those two separate pieces of music together SO well, that they become a single piece of music where the bridge acts as a kind of dynamic lull, where the score sort of "takes a breath", just before the lion starts to roar out "All Along the Watch Tower" in all its glory.
    What stinks, I suspect, is that these were originally thought of, and written as, two separate pieces of music for two separate scenes. "Gluing" them together so seamlessly into one contiguous whole probably happened as a kind of lucky accident during the final edit of the actual ep. But when the music CD was produced, Bear probably went back to the original tracks as recorded (two tracks for two scenes), and that's how they went onto the CD.
    At this point, if you want to "glue" those tracks back together into a contiguous whole, as heard in the ep, I suspect that's something you'll have to find a way of doing yourself :-(
    Last edited by BumpOnnaHalfApple; 27 February 2008, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X