How big is the Atlantis Expedition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big is the Atlantis Expedition?

We know that the original Expedition was around 200.

KAVANAGH: There are tens of thousands of life-sucking aliens in highly advanced spaceships on their way here to destroy us, and we have -- what? -- two hundred people, most of whom are scientists who've never even fired a gun before.
    So I'm wondering, now after all these years, how big it has grown to. I'd like to think it's at least doubled to 400, if not 600 or 800 people.
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

interesting question, though I can't really provide anything solid as an answer I imagine that knowing the threat they now face and having the ability to traverse the empty space between the galaxies, as well as use the gate when necessary (not to mention former usage of the midway station) would mean they have quite a few more people, probably alot more of the military variety I suspect.

that being said I don't think your estimate of 400 people is impossible, indeed there may even be more. with a city that has that much space to live in / defend / explore they could literally bring in thousands of people though I suspect doing so would involve alot of security clearance being passed around.

Comment

"Atlantis Expedition"... wha...?

Oh, right! That Atlantis Expedition! I forgot about that little thing! I had for some reason started to think the show was a random wisecracking guy with a gun and an irate science guy hanging out in various medieval villages. Sorry, my bad. Apparently they do in fact belong to some "expedition".

Comment

Probably around 300-400 people. Most newcomers will be military, considering the threats to the city.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnDream View Post

Oh, right! That Atlantis Expedition! I forgot about that little thing! I had for some reason started to think the show was a random wisecracking guy with a gun and an irate science guy hanging out in various medieval villages. Sorry, my bad. Apparently they do in fact belong to some "expedition".
          You've missed most of season 4 then I take it?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            You've missed most of season 4 then I take it?

thankyou for saying that for me lol

Comment

You're pretty much on the money there!!

Comment

Depends on the Season

Comment

Thank you so much for dragging my thread completely off-topic.
                  These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

I think it has become bigger and now they dont have the problem of power with the zpm and maybe some asgard technolegy so they can bring a lot more people there the only problem of more people is the securety clearence
                    - Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
                    - When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
                    - Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
                    - Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Comment

I think the size of the Atlantis expedition is in a constant state of flux.

In season 1 there was obviously a fixed number in the expedition as they were cut off from Earth. But once contact was reestablished I think the number of people on Atlantis is constantly changing depending on need and circumstances. Especially with the use of the intergalactic bridge

Spoilers for “Midway”

Spoiler:
                      or at least what used to be Midway and the intergalactic bridge

this allowed people to come for a few days, weeks or months depending on what they were doing. In “GUP” Sheppard referred to a team that was there to conduct off world under water experiments – so I sort of got the inference that some people come for a specific purpose and then leave. Having the Daedalus made this possible and the intergalactic bridge made it even easier.

So I am thinking there are probably a set number of military personnel assigned to Atlantis along with a set number of support people like techs, medical personnel and scientists like McKay and Rodney to run the place.
                      And I think the set or “permanent” number of people may be around 250 with another 100 -200 coming and going depending on experiments, needs and circumstances.

Comment

Id be suprised if there were more than 500 people there. 200 was season one and weir said at one point that regular access and a zpm allowed for a much larger contingent.

There were few enough in critical mass to all cram into the Daedalous and be ferried by invisible jumpers, how many ppl can the Deddy hold?

I would like a number in the thousands but i guess thats not realistic contunity wise (they could all die just from someone flipping a wrong switch) and sga dosent have that many extras.

Although sga does to a good job of having alotta ppl in the hallways/mess hall.

Comment

Theoretically spoilerish:
                          Spoiler:
                          Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

"Atlantis Expedition" :
                            10-20 character + 200 red shirt.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              "Atlantis Expedition" :
                              10-20 character + 200 red shirt.
                              When it is Happy Hour, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X