No announcement yet.

Lagrangian Point Defense Satellites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um... maybe the cannon was that large because it was one giant step-up-transformer/capacitor for whatever power source it used?

Maybe the sattelite was the size of a Hat'tak to rapidly increase the potency of the energy and charge the particle cannon?

Makes a lot of sense for a weapon that can slice a 11km long warship in two with only one second of contact time powered by nothing more than a one meter long crude Earth-made reactor.

And it likely had a shield. The shield was damaged.

Comment

10,000 years ago, I doubt the Great Races treaty existed. So they couldn't call for Asgard help.

As for the SGA team, they couldn't call for Asgard help in season 1. No line of communications.

Comment

No, actually the Asgard were around back then. I watched Revelations yesterday, and the Asgard genetic scientist stated that it's ancestor that had been capable of sexual reproduction (which was in a stasis tube) left the Asgard Homeworld around 20,000 years ago. Besides I don't think the Asgard were fighting the replicators 10,000 years ago, so yes they could help.

I don't think the Lagrange satellites ever had shields since the Naquada generator was able to bring all systems but the beam weapon online.

Joe
        Zero Point Energy by 0 Kelvin: Just go to Wikipedia, type in Absolute 0, hit enter. It'll save a little bit of my time and effort.

better to be wrong and alive than right and dead

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
          10,000 years ago, I doubt the Great Races treaty existed. So they couldn't call for Asgard help.

As for the SGA team, they couldn't call for Asgard help in season 1. No line of communications.
          The treaty existed before they left, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
            its likely it had a shield otherwise it would of been so easy for the wraith to knockout

it was just damaged and the power needed to be rerouted to the weapon
            Oh but I think that's the problem.

A satellite is a very slow moving station, big for some reason (it has plenty of arms which do nothing), and doesn't seem to be able to do anything else but shoot a beam.

What a hassle. They should have installed more ground guns on the planet instead, and shielded them adequately. You don't need energy to have a gun rest on the ground after all, and Atlantis could stretch its shield.

We may never fully know, but thus far, they're very absurd in their design, and outrageously big for what they achieve, especially if built late in the war, while the drones are pathetically small in comparison.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
              The better question is if the Ancients were so smart how come the puddle jumpers, didn't have hyperdrives powered by ZPM, shields(powered by said ZPM)and massive beam cannons on them, cause you know drones run out. The ancients then could have taken on the entire wraith armada with just a handful of puddle jumpers. Mckay built a hyperdrive for a puddle jumper why didn't the ancients? huh huh?

<note: some sarcasm may be present in the above statement>

Do people not understand the difference between peaceful explorers, poets, and scientists who lived for millions of years with no real enemies, And a battle hardened race ready for galactic conquest?
              This reasoning may find itself getting progressively weaker the more the war would last. OK, it's probable that by the time they had their asses handled, the Lantians were super tactical geniuses, who knows.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Never the less the weapons are good and should have been further developed in the series. it cut a hive in two... with a single shot.

They were huge, yes, my guess is there was a lot of stuff on board we didn't know about. One of the branches looks like a subspace communicator, there has to be a sensor array, a shield generator (come on guys... these are the ancients we are talking about.. they wouldn't leave it defenseless) and I'm guessing the weapon can discharge from several different branches (to avoid having to rotate in position).

The main weakness we saw of this satellite (other than it being damaged) was the charging time. It makes sense considering the power source used but it is safe to assume that the ancients had something more potent.

So even if this satellite is seriously over-sized, my guess is, the ancients didn't expect to have to build new ones every week. It was most likely put in at the beginning of the war in the hope of being an "overkill" weapon and keeping the wraith away without putting any of them at risk until they found a better solution.

When you have the resources to seed stargates in the entire galaxy... spending a bit of these on defense and building some uber weapons that don't need anyone on board... worth it

Comment

Could have been more than just a weapons platform. Could have been a observation outpost, research, and so forth. Atlantis at the time just didn't have enough info at the time.
                  Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                    Oh but I think that's the problem.

A satellite is a very slow moving station, big for some reason (it has plenty of arms which do nothing), and doesn't seem to be able to do anything else but shoot a beam.
                    What if the arms were some sort of hyper capacitors that enabled successive shots that were bypassed when Rodney performed the bypass of the weapon? Or what if they were the shield emitters? or what if they were a combination of both? Any of these explanations would suffice for why they did nothing in the show.

And why did we never see the oddy hook up the asgard core to the ancient data base in atlantis? Seeing as how the Asgard made the core user friendly I could see it making searching the ancient data base exponentially easier. My reasoning for this is that with the core all you have to do is give it a basic outline of what you want and the core does the rest.
                    sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Perhaps the Asgard made the core so it COULDn't be interfaced that way.. So its harder for enemies to crack/steal info.

Comment

Working...
                      X