X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SyFy Portal: Review of Battlestar Galactica 1st episode

From SyFy Portal:

http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=1533

(Please follow the link for the complete review.)

An Unimpressive Beginning For 'Galactica’

Author: Alan Stanley Blair
    Date: 10-19-2004
    Source: SyFy Portal

The following review contains MAJOR SPOILERS of the first regular-season episode of "Battlestar Galactica."

EDITOR'S NOTE: "Battlestar Galactica" currently is airing in the United Kingdom on Sky One, as part of that satellite company's agreement with Sci-Fi Channel to produce the series. It premieres in the United States in January on the Sci-Fi Channel.

Battlestar Galactica
    Writing: B+
    Story: B-
    Acting: B-
    Directing: B-

Overall: B-

This episode was written by Ronald D. Moore and directed by Michael Rymer.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Proof-Positive
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Proof-Positive

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

I was hoping the review would have been good. So many good reports I was hopeing this would be another great scifi show.
    "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

I don't think that guy really knows what he's talking about.

that isn’t even taking the awful opening theme tune into account
      What? I have the soundtrack, and have listened to it constently, which has an outstanding opening score. The rest of the soundtrack it excellent as well.

The dogfight sequences are nothing more than lackluster action, and it’s too bad about the annoying camera angles which continually disrupt any possibility of becoming enthralled in the developing special conflict.
      Annoying camera angles? Some of the things that made the miniseries so good was the different nature of the way they filmed it.
      A Quick Word from the Far Side of the Galaxy

Comment

The guy at aintitcool.com gave it 5 out of 5 stars. Reviews are just opinions and you know what they say about those!

Comment

I think it was ok. Closer to being great then being crap.

Only problem could be that someone who hasn't seen the mini-series have no idea what's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
            I think it was ok. Closer to being great then being crap.

Only problem could be that someone who hasn't seen the mini-series have no idea what's happening.
            Yes, i watched the first episode, and i was a bit clueless, until i forgot about the mini-series, but oh well, it seemed interesting newho
            Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I read AintItCool.net's review, and they loved it. So did their members.

I don't know, i have to watch for myself, because I don't trust reviews.

Take Storm Front for example. I loved it, most of the reviews I read, hated it. But w\e. Everyone is allowed their own opinion.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Personally having now watched the mini series and the first episode I think this is going to be a great programme.

It has a totally different feel to it than any other scifi show at the moment.

It is filmed in a very different way and in that respect it almost feels like a documentary. You feel very involved and it pulls you right in to the action, makes you feel like you're there. It actually looks very stylish.

they have delved deeper into the human side in this version letting you see the real lows of the survivors and their emotions and you do feel like they really are on the verge of being wiped out. The fact that they keep revising the head count reminds you of this.

It is a brilliant piece of scifi/drama. It definately is worth watching!
                Hammond "Colonel, General Chekov thinks that due to our arrangement with the Russian government a russian soldier be assigned to SG1"

O'Neill "Over my rotting corpse Sir" *pauses* "Oh did I say that out loud"

Hammond "I did say that I would discuss it with you and that you would give the matter some careful consideration"

O'Neill "Yes I'm sure I would, but I would still probably say bite me"

Comment

Working...
                X