Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Chief Master Sergeant

Default Re: Farscape DVDs: Starburst Edition vs Boxed Sets?

I'm a little worried with this whole Sony situation. Sure, there's a chance the DVDs will become widely available at a good price, and better quality than ADV could do. Then again, Sony could change their mind, delay it for a dozen years, or cancel it outright. I'll feel a lot better when/if Sony announces either a release date or something more firm than what we have now. Companies buy up rights to things all the time, it doesn't always work out the way we hope it will.

Lieutenant General poundpuppy29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post
    I'm a little worried with this whole Sony situation. Sure, there's a chance the DVDs will become widely available at a good price, and better quality than ADV could do. Then again, Sony could change their mind, delay it for a dozen years, or cancel it outright. I'll feel a lot better when/if Sony announces either a release date or something more firm than what we have now. Companies buy up rights to things all the time, it doesn't always work out the way we hope it will.
    Great points why did they buy them to begin with if they are not going to release them there is something I am missing something they are not saying right now I wish I had money and a Credit card but the reason I am waiting cuz I will probably get Amazon gift certificates for Xmas ant that's the only way I can get DVDs at the moment

My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Jades View Post
    Yeah, they are. Sony has bought the rights to distribute the Farscape DVDs, so ADV who previously held the rights aren't releasing any more. Currently season 1 of the Starburst Editions are out of stock everywhere, you can still buy them on Ebay for exorbitant prices though. I hope Sony re-releases the DVDs soon because Farscape is losing a potential new audience by not having the S1 DVDs readily available for a decent price.
    Oh this is not fair.....I'd have liked to buy the Starbursts at some point, unfortunately haven't had the spare $$$.

Anyone have a pic of all the Starbursts lined up on a shelf? I saw a couple random copies at future shop and noticed that they make some sort of complete image on the spines. I'm curious.

It's a picture of Moya.

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

It worries me too frankly. They bought the rights but have so far failed to make any kind of announcement about a release date or how they intend to package it or what their plans are.

My guess is they're holding on to the series as it has a huge following and they want that following to go Blu-Ray when an HD release comes out and by releasing it themselves they can guarantee it will be a BR exclusive. At least that seems the likeliest case as there's no reason for them to pay for the rights and not release anything, after all, the show has seen 2 releases already so it's not like they can bury it as a form of competition.

Sadly I'm one of those that wasn't able to pick up the releases while they were out as I was strapped for cash. I was looking to pick them up now only to find they are out of print and hard to come by. So I guess I'm stuck waiting to see what Sony is going to do.

I still haven't got a blue-ray player, I hope they release it on dvd, then again, it they do, I'd have to get a Blue-ray
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Chief Master Sergeant

If Sony were to release Farscape in HD, it would certainly be BluRay, the only problem is Farscape would be way, way, way, way.....way down low on the list of BluRay releases. Assuming BluRay wins/survives the Format War, I would not expect to see Farscape for 5+ years, if ever.

I'm guessing we have one prime window of opportunity: regular DVD, and it had better happen in the next 2-3 years or it will never happen. That's why I'm nervous. It's not at all unrealistic that Sony could buy up all the rights and never make a single DVD. It sound crazy, but that's how things work.

On positive note, if Sony does release Farscape on DVD, it will be way better quality than ADV's releases.

Does anyone have any info on this release? Is it just the original DVDs in a new box?

Also, does anyone have a picture of the starburst edition DVDs lined up together?

And of course, any news on the Sony thingy?
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...scape_sig2.png
    "We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Chief Master Sergeant THe KiKO peRsON's Avatar
    (I is a girl!) Wishing I lived in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by ./freelancer View Post
    Does anyone have any info on this release? Is it just the original DVDs in a new box?

Also, does anyone have a picture of the starburst edition DVDs lined up together?

And of course, any news on the Sony thingy?
    Well, It's got more commentaries than the normal boxsets, which I am borrowing from my uncle. I want them to just release some of the Starburst Editions, cos I wanna watch commentaries! Only FS commentary I've watched is the Mind The Baby one.

Sony are being idiots like the Sci-fi Channel in Australia. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by THe KiKO peRsON View Post
    Well, It's got more commentaries than the normal boxsets, which I am borrowing from my uncle. I want them to just release some of the Starburst Editions, cos I wanna watch commentaries! Only FS commentary I've watched is the Mind The Baby one.

Sony are being idiots like the Sci-fi Channel in Australia. I dunno.
    Is it the same commentaries as Starburst? Or is it more like this:
    Boxsets: "Standard" commentaries
    Starburst: Standard + new
    Collection: Standard + other new
    ?
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...scape_sig2.png
    "We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Chief Master Sergeant Prometheus 1's Avatar

Default Farscape DVDs Cheap

Does anyone know where i can cheap Farscape DVDs for Region 1. Everywhere i look Season one is always above two hundred dollars. I'm looking to pay no more than fifty or sixty for a set. Does anyone know where i can find them cheap?
    There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You can't remake the past, so look ahead...or risk being left behind

Major

Default Re: Farscape DVDs Cheap

No idear. Season 1 is hard to find because it isn't being made anymore. If you can play multiregions then you can try the UK

Yeah they've stopped making season 1 DVDs which is why they're so hard to find and have over-the-top prices.
    [email protected]|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
    Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
    Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
    --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Chief Master Sergeant Prometheus 1's Avatar

well thats really dumb. they're losing money that way
    There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You can't remake the past, so look ahead...or risk being left behind

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus 1 View Post
    well thats really dumb. they're losing money that way
    Well, they're not losing money, they're just not making any money. Let's face it, much as we love Farscape, it obviously wasn't a smash hit for ADV video. Sony bought the rights, they may or may not release a line of Farscape DVDs, the jury is still out on that.

Ebay, maybe you will get lucky. I want to get the box sets but I dont want to pay 100 bucks for each one.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Some of the Amazon.com prices aren't too bad. Especially if you buy from sellers on there, not necessarily Amazon itself.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

What about Season 1 StarBurst?

"Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Yep, I'm pretty sure those are gone as well.
    [email protected]|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
    Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
    Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
    --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

The ones for Season 1 that are there are super-expensive.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead