Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default We had to destroy their entire civilization for making a bioweapon!

The actual bioweapon research though.... nah I guess we don't need to destroy that.

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Default Re: We had to destroy their entire civilization for making a bioweapon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
    The actual bioweapon research though.... nah I guess we don't need to destroy that.

I'm a 60%er | Sigs are made by me and othersThe Lorne Identity - A Lorne fanfiction collection community.

what do you mean? our copy of the data, or the Hoffman's copy that they insisted on giving to every single one of their people even with 50% causality rates.

Keeping our research notes makes sense as long as no samples are kept. It gives you something to work from later in case you ever see it again.

That's why you have a giant database of that kind of information to begin with.

He Who Burns At The Center Of Time The_Carpenter's Avatar

Assuming that other people knew about the research and had the scientific know how to recreate the experiments and that said people also had the will to kill 50% of their population.

Seeing as how most of the residents of the Pegasus galaxy live in tents and wooden shacks there's little chance of that, plus the Atlantis expedition would never use the bioweapon as quite rightly so 50% fatality rate is unacceptable and the Wraith now we feel that way.
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

You know for having their civilization wiped out, the city looked suprisingly intact. I would have thought the Wraith would have leveled everything only stopping short of annihilating all life on that world, instead it looks like a half-assed bombing attempt. Sort of a shock and meh campaign.
    Last edited by jds1982; February 23rd, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Up Todd's sleeve, playing with his stun stick...

The information on the bioweapon was gone. The Wraith obviously took it when they wiped out the infected Hoffans for their own research, and it's likely that Michael was able to get his hands on it sometime later. He's been a very busy Wraithman, methinks.

das
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/dasNdanger/whispers4a.jpg

Didn't we just leave the Wraith to destroy it? In other words, we let them destroy themselves, and assumed that the Wraith would get rid of something that was bad for them. Unless you're talking about something other than the Hoffans.

Quote Originally Posted by MerryK View Post
    Didn't we just leave the Wraith to destroy it? In other words, we let them destroy themselves, and assumed that the Wraith would get rid of something that was bad for them. Unless you're talking about something other than the Hoffans.
    The OP was speaking from the Wraith point of view. "We had to destroy their entire civilization for making a bioweapon! The actual bioweapon research though.... nah I guess we don't need to destroy that."

(S)He's saying that the Wraith were silly for not destroying the research.

However, I think the since the whole point of the Hoffan society was to build a number of separate hidden bunkers which contained the whole of their Knowledge the Wraith would have had a hard time of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jds1982 View Post
    Sort of a shock and meh campaign.
    Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    The OP was speaking from the Wraith point of view. "We had to destroy their entire civilization for making a bioweapon! The actual bioweapon research though.... nah I guess we don't need to destroy that."

However, I think the since the whole point of the Hoffan society was to build a number of separate hidden bunkers which contained the whole of their Knowledge the Wraith would have had a hard time of it.
    They probably didn't know where to look for the actually research notes.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell82 View Post
    They probably didn't know where to look for the actually research notes.
    That's what orbital bombardments are for.

That's what orbital bombardments are for.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by dasNdanger View Post
    The information on the bioweapon was gone. The Wraith obviously took it when they wiped out the infected Hoffans for their own research, and it's likely that Michael was able to get his hands on it sometime later. He's been a very busy Wraithman, methinks.

das
    They could have taken it, so they could research a work around...

Major General

Err wasn't it supposed to have been hidden away in vaults that had survived numerous other Wraith cullings? The only reason Michael found it was because of Beckett...

Even if the Wraith did completely wipe out that information there are still two possible alternatives to how Michael could have come across that information. First he could have been part of the Hive that destroyed that civilization back when he was still full Wraith (we don't know anything about his past prior to be getting captured by our guys) or second, he could have gotten the information about the drug when he was probing Beckett's mind. And then he somehow got the Beckett we saw last night to change it along with developing a new retro-virus.

Apparently knowledge of the original drug is common among the Wraith because Todd knew about it.

This person has it right. Well aside from the bunkers thing anyway. When SGA gets there they just go looking for the super secret research in a completely normal above ground building.

It's completely idiotic that so much of this episode was centered around trying to find this stupid research when it was known by all that the Wraith had destroyed the planet because of the research. Obviously if they destroyed the whole civilization they did so to prevent any trace of the poison from spreading to any other world they fed from. That and to punish the Hoffans for doing this and make them an example to others. It's absolutely idiotic to think that they would go to all the trouble of wiping out an entire civilzation but also just happen to forget about the whole reason why they're even doing it in the first place.

Despite that fact though everybody in this episode seems to think it's really likely that they're going to find that research on the planet there. Like the Wraith are just going to leave it there for anyone to find once they're done exterminating an entire society just for creating it.

To make it even worse though it's strongly implied that Michael did get his headstart on the virus from the Hoffen research, which is why it was already missing when they got there. I mean it certainly wasn't missing because the entire laboratory responsible for creating it was blasted into a glassed out crater from orbit like it should have been once its location was tortured or mind probed out of the government officials. What are we supposed to think the Wraith did instead if they really did destroy it, sent a single guy down there to search through all the books in the city 1 by 1 until he finds the right one and burns only that, making sure he didn't miss anything? Because you know that's a lot easier and less likely to go wrong than the 1 to 3 seconds it takes to just remove the entire city from existence with orbital blue goo of doom.

Wow, like I said, are you kidding me?

The Wraith destroyed them not us. As to how Michael got his hands on it.

The Hoffman's had numerous storage sites for their knowledge. To make sure the Wraith couldn't destroy them all.

Michael could have also harvested the knowledge from Carson Becket since he obviously has the knowledge of it.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by jds1982 View Post
    Sort of a shock and meh campaign.
    Hahaha. Thats excellent.

General

I don't see a problem here. The Wraith had no inkling of the bunkers' existence, so why would they be suspicious enough to mindprobe people when, to them, the data was probably wiped out along with the rest of the civilization from their attack?

Quote Originally Posted by PG15 View Post
    I don't see a problem here. The Wraith had no inkling of the bunkers' existence, so why would they be suspicious enough to mindprobe people when, to them, the data was probably wiped out along with the rest of the civilization from their attack?
    IMO, they should have been smart enough to realize that the Hoffans couldn't have possibly worked this whole thing out in the time between the last culling and now. Something had to give, some way of passing information onto the next generation after cullings. And anyway, it's not like the Hoffans would just leave their important information somewhere where it would be easy to destroy - any smart person would take all precations possible to protect it.
    What's life? Life's easy. A quirk of matter. Nature's way of keeping meat fresh.
    --Ninth Doctor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast