This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Degree's what the flunk?

Well i get the impresion that Mr Mckay and Ms Sam are quite smart people.. they even brag <some of them> about being the smartest... But then again why is it Dr Mckay and not Profesor Mckay? if he is so smart ? or maybe its some other tweek like me lacking the knowladge of english, american, canadian degrees? < i should start of by saing that im not eng ami or cani: p > in my country there are Mgr, Dr and Prof like a ladder... so, can anyone fill me in about it? or is it maybe just the way it sounds.. dr vs prof... oh sheesh ...
    'Death stands above me, whispering low I know not what in my ear . . .'

Originally posted by Alexander E. Brent View Post
    Well i get the impresion that Mr Mckay and Ms Sam are quite smart people.. they even brag <some of them> about being the smartest... But then again why is it Dr Mckay and not Profesor Mckay? if he is so smart ? or maybe its some other tweek like me lacking the knowladge of english, american, canadian degrees? < i should start of by saing that im not eng ami or cani: p > in my country there are Mgr, Dr and Prof like a ladder... so, can anyone fill me in about it? or is it maybe just the way it sounds.. dr vs prof... oh sheesh ...
    In the USA, a PhD (or doctorate) is awarded as the highest degree conferred on someone by a university or college...it is known as the highest graduate degree. A professorship is a position at a University or College, doesn't have to be a PhD, but often is. Since neither McKay or Sam are teaching at a university or college the appropriate title is Dr. not Professor. BUT Jeanie's hubby (McKay's sister's hubby) is teaching english lit, so he would be professor, degree not withstanding.
    Also for your enlightenment... in the USA a medical doctor is also called Dr. and a law degree is a JD or juris Doctorate... so a lawyer can be called Dr. as well. Have I confused you enough?
    Last edited by Rac80; 22 February 2008, 09:17 AM.

Comment

If I am not mistaken the doctor title is the highest possible. From wikipedia "Many academic, research scientist and practitioners in subjects allied to medicine also use Dr and/or their terminal degree after their last name. (Terminal degrees include Ph.D., Sc.D., Ed.D., or Psy.D.)"

If I get this terminal means the best possible. And McKay and Sam are (if I remember correctly) both Ph.Ds in Astrophysics.

But yeah it depends on the country you live in. And they are probably the smartest

Comment

"Doctor" is a title which is earned by earning a PhD degree, in any field. Typically, "professor" refers to someone who teaches a subject (though it also applies to elderly academics in a more broad sense as well).

"Manager," by contrast, is simply a level in a work situation. Sort of...worker, then shift leader, then supervisor, then manager, and so on.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

A Ph.D means that you have proven to your peers that you're capabale of conducting your own, unsupervised research and have it stand up to being reviewed by your peers.

You can only get a Ph.D as a final step, usually with multiple lesser degrees beneath it. For example, an astrophyisist may have a Bachellor of Science (Astrophysics) followed by a Masters of Science, and eventually culminating in a Ph.D. at which point you've proven that you can do more than just read and regurgitate other people's work
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

PhDs are the holy grails of professional work, multiple phds even more so. Im a masters student and have taken courses with the doc students and the course material seems about the same. Except they get more of an applied use, where they get sent out to actually do what were learning at the time we are learning it.

Most phd programs have a masters degree built into them. Not all masters need an undergrad in a related field (or the gre) PhDs usually take 5 yrs, 4 of coursework and 1 for the dissertation. PhDs are a button of work and are like a job with long hours and crappy pay.
            Last edited by kymeric; 22 February 2008, 07:08 AM.

Comment

People with a PhD are awesome.

Comment

I have a PhD in posting does that count
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander E. Brent View Post
                  You're only a prof when you teach at a university, which both Carter and Mckay obviously don't

In the states it goes like, BSC , MSC, PhD with the PhD awarding you a Deng e.g. for engineering. I'm not sure if you get to be a docor only if you got a PhD or if you got an MSC as well.

It's also possible both Carter and Mckay have several other degrees, like an MSC/BSC in engineering, Mckay hinted at this in Duet where he asked Cadman what degrees she had.

Comment

in the UK when a Medical Dr. becomes a qualified surgeon, he reverts back to Mr.
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                    Quotes!
                    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                    sigpic

Comment

i don't know about the us, but over here i'm a physics undergrad on a MPhys degree. you can choose when you apply whether you want to do a 3yr BSc or a 4yr MPhys. you need an MPhys to go on to do a PhD, obviously (which is what i'm hoping to do).
                      sigpic
                      http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                      http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                        i don't know about the us, but over here i'm a physics undergrad on a MPhys degree. you can choose when you apply whether you want to do a 3yr BSc or a 4yr MPhys. you need an MPhys to go on to do a PhD, obviously (which is what i'm hoping to do).
                        In the US you start out by getting a 4 year BS degree in college. If you want to get a PhD, you can then either go into a MS program (2 years) and then apply to a PhD program or you can just go into a PhD program from the start. I did the latter so I don't have an official MS degree, just the PhD. However, if I had dropped out of the PhD program 2 or so years into it I would have been awarded a MS.

Comment

It should be noted, that not everyone (in the UK) that teaches at a university is a Professor, mostly Doctors. They have to earn the privilidge of a professorship at the university through dedicated service and achievement.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

You think E-peen in videogames is bad? You should see the snark generated by Edu-peen stroking. Its like the playground all over again! D:

Comment

Working...
                            X