No announcement yet.

Now The Wraith Know Earth's Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't they already know Earth's location? Didn't they rip that from Colonel Sumner's mind?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
      Didn't they already know Earth's location? Didn't they rip that from Colonel Sumner's mind?
      no nessarcily they knew of earth but he didn't exactly give off the cordrinates in space
      sigpic
      [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
        When the Wraith infiltrated Midway Station, and if any of them looked out a view port or window they could see the spiral form of the Milky Way sprawled out in all its splendor. There are only 3 spiral galaxies in our local group of galaxies (the other two being Andromeda and Triangulum). They could also follow the direction the gate network is taking from Pegasus to MW. Thus, if they hadn't previously figured it out, they now know which galaxy Earth is located. I can imagine that at this very moment, they may be building better and faster ships to bridge the intergalactic gap, or possibly looking for a stargate connection to a planet at the outer edge of the Milky Way. Vast as our galaxy is, once they gain a foothold on any world in MW, especially one with a gate, it's only a matter of time before they zero in on Earth's location.
        Really? How?

The Wraith never went back to Pegasus from Midway. The Wraith never gained access to any superior technology from the database. And the macro that they used was specific to the Pegasus gates. The most they could have done was to broadcast the gate address of Earth and the symbols of the MW gate network back, which, without superior tech, would be useless to them.

The Wraith were counting on holding the SGC long enough to get information back to Pegasus before Earth knocked out Midway. They didn't, and even if Teal'c and Ronon hadn't been there, they still would have failed. The humans in the Control Room were left unharmed and the effects of the stun bomb had worn off, Walter would have closed the iris and the military would have cleaned house. Albeit with casualties, but it would have still been a victory. A whole bunch of Wraith going splat against Earth's iris would have been mildly entertaining....well, maybe not for the cleanup crew.
        http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
          I concede that in our real universe that Earth would be next to impossible to locate even if one knew our galaxy of origin. But in the sci-fi universe of Stargate, our galaxy is teeming with worlds occupied by humans and other intelligent species, many of which have stargates. Once the Wraith gain a foothold on just one world in our galaxy, particularly one with a gate (and yes I realize even that would be difficult), they can use the network to gate from world to world, possibly forcibly extracting information from other settlements, slowly narrowing down the location of our planet.
          But again, not really so much with the teeming. Even if every possible gate combination in the Milky Way represented an actual world with a gate it would be a very small percentage of the stars in the galaxy. Finding a planet with a gate just by flying into the galaxy wouldn't be tremendously easier than finding Earth. There's just short of 2 million possible addresses, and somewhere between 100 to 200 billion stars. We're still talking a seriously small needle in a vast haystack.
          "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
          "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman View Post
            But again, not really so much with the teeming. Even if every possible gate combination in the Milky Way represented an actual world with a gate it would be a very small percentage of the stars in the galaxy. Finding a planet with a gate just by flying into the galaxy wouldn't be tremendously easier than finding Earth. There's just short of 2 million possible addresses, and somewhere between 100 to 200 billion stars. We're still talking a seriously small needle in a vast haystack.
            Not to mention the fact that the Goa'uld have not been to all the planets, or even 1% of them. The simple truth is...The Goa'uld only put humans on planets they knew about, so the majority of the human population of the Milky Way would be limited to only one certain area of our galaxy (pretty much the entire Orion Arm). Even if the Wraith knew that, they'd be subjected to dialing countless worlds and exhausting large amounts of time.

They'd be shooting in the dark hoping they get lucky when there are millions of combinations and only hundreds the SGC/Goa'uld/Tok'ra/Tau'ri/Tollan/Jaffa/insert any other known Milky Way race here has had contact with. If they don't stumble across any of those worlds, which is of course A LOT, then they're screwed. And then, they have to deal with the Jaffa/Lucian Alliance/Tok'ra/Tau'ri/Goa'uld/Ori deserters/etc.

Comment

By the time the Wraith find out...

Fleets of 304's will be ready, and hell, there are 10+ billion humans in the MW in SG universe, Earth alone has 6+ billion (real world 2040 projection is 9+ billion).

Wraith are doomed.

304's will so own the Hives now. No contest.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                By the time the Wraith find out...

Fleets of 304's will be ready, and hell, there are 10+ billion humans in the MW in SG universe, Earth alone has 6+ billion (real world 2040 projection is 9+ billion).

Wraith are doomed.

304's will so own the Hives now. No contest.
                Forgive me for being pessimistic, but I doubt we're going to make it to 2040 with a 9+ billion population. We're already starting to fight, steal, and ally for resources.

Comment

Fight, steal etc...been occuring throughout human history, nothing new.

We can all turn vegetarian. 1 pound of veggies take so much less resources to produce...

Environmental degradation, that needs to taken care of.

Comment

Even if the Wraith did get to Earth we dont know how many ships earth has. For all we know Earth could have a all new Asguard upgraded ships. So it is my belief that even if the Wraith did get to Earth the SGC would kick the crap out of the Wraith.
                    sigpic

Comment

1) They all died.
                      2) They don't care about other galaxies so much they'd figure out the spiral thingie and how would they even see it? From the midway station? All they've see would be a bunch of galaxies.
                      3) They all died.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                        2) They don't care about other galaxies so much they'd figure out the spiral thingie and how would they even see it? From the midway station? All they've see would be a bunch of galaxies.
                        From the Midway point between the Pegasus galaxy to the Milky Way, the Milky way is the largest, closest object visible. It's an enormous Galaxy, especially compared to the dinky Pegasus. And as the distance from the still large and obvious Andromeda and Triangulum galaxies would actually have increased, while the distance to the Milky Way would have decreased, it's not too hard to figure out the direction the Gate Bridge was taking them.

Their only difficulty would have been determining if Earth was in the Milky Way galaxy or in one of its satellites galaxies such as the Large and Small Magellanic clouds, the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical, or the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy. It's not too much of an intuitive leap to think they can guess which of those is the most likely, though.

But, as I said, knowing which galaxy Earth is in hardly narrows it down. You'd have to search good and long to even find a planet with a gate, much less find Earth.

Some reference images:

Milky Way as seen from Pegasus.
                        Milky Way as seen from Midway (the large and small Magellanic Clouds are visible clearly at the bottom of the image).
                        Pegasus from Midway (it's the barely visible dot in the very middle).
                        Andromeda from Midway.
                        Triangulum from Midway.
                        Last edited by IMForeman; 09 March 2008, 05:01 PM.
                        "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                        "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman View Post

But, as I said, knowing which galaxy Earth is in hardly narrows it down. You'd have to search good and long to even find a planet with a gate, much less find Earth.
                          Well, I guess it depends on how you look at. Finding out Earth is in the Milky Way narrows things down in relation to the rest of the universe, which I realize is still a bit absurd considering the immense scale that we're dealing with.

As the one who started this thread, I can say I enjoyed reading the comments and it appears the "nays" have it. Nevertheless if I knew the Wraith were out there I'd just as soon they not know what galaxy I'm in, no matter how big it is.
                          My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Working...
                          X