Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21
    Chief Master Sergeant striker7770's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    173

    Arrow2 Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    also if the asgard ships were as powerful, like destroying a ship with three blasts. why don't they fight, they could win. At least 5 ships to 2 or three.

    Also why didn't the asgard try to destroy the supergate.

  2. #22
    Colonel s09119's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    7,457

    Default Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    Quote Originally Posted by striker7770 View Post
    also if the asgard ships were as powerful, like destroying a ship with three blasts. why don't they fight, they could win. At least 5 ships to 2 or three.

    Also why didn't the asgard try to destroy the supergate.
    In "Beachhead," the Asgard are still rebuilding from their war with the Replicators, and couldn't spare any ships on such short notice. And in "Camelot," they arrived only a short while before the Ori arrived, and seeing as the Jaffa had already tried and failed they probably figured it would be a better use of time to try and disable the gate rather than try and destroy it.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

  3. #23
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    769

    Default Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    Quote Originally Posted by PG15 View Post
    That makes no sense. Just because they're advanced in one area of technology, doesn't mean they're equally advanced in all areas. Besides, we don't even have a "scale of advancement". For all we know, getting hyperdrives is nothing compared to how much you have to advanced to reach the level they're at with cloning tech.
    Building an intergalactic hyperdrive requires far more advanced science than curing a physiological condition. There is no reason why a civilization capable of that wouldn't be able to cure a genetic disease. And you are wrong about being advanced in one area but not in others. For instance, creating the hydrogen bomb and sending man to the Moon required the development of computers, because the sheer amount of computations necessary for accomplishing that is not possible with a pocket calcluator. So here we have an example of an advancement in one area of technology advancing others. Look at us. We are far more advanced today in all areas of technology than we were a thousand years ago. Not in some, but in all. Technological development in different areas correlate. You will never see a species that is super-advanced in one area being completely primitive in another. As we advance, all of our technologies advance as well. Some might advance faster than others, but advacement in all areas of technology correlate.

  4. #24
    Colonel s09119's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    7,457

    Default Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    Quote Originally Posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
    Building an intergalactic hyperdrive requires far more advanced science than curing a physiological condition. There is no reason why a civilization capable of that wouldn't be able to cure that. And you are wrong about being advanced in one area but not in others. For instance, creating the hydrogen bomb and sending man to the Moon required the development of computers, because the sheer amount of computations necessary for accomplishing that is not possible with apocket calcluator. So here we have an example of an advancement in one area of technology advaning others. Look at us. We are far more advanced today in all areas of technology than we were a thousand years ago. Not in some, but in all. Technological development in different areas correlate. You will never see a species that is super-advanced in one area being completely primitive in another. As we advance, all of out technologies advance as well. Some might advance faster than others, but advacement in all areas of technology correlate.
    Considering you don't know of any real alien civilizations, that entire post is speculative. Of course a society may be very advanced in one area and not much in another. For all we know, the Asgard spent 3000 years devoted entirely to hyperdrive research and not much else. We have no idea.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

  5. #25
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    769

    Default Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    Considering you don't know of any real alien civilizations, that entire post is speculative. Of course a society may be very advanced in one area and not much in another. For all we know, the Asgard spent 3000 years devoted entirely to hyperdrive research and not much else. We have no idea.
    I don't need to know any alien civilizations because I have us as an example. Like I said, disprove my claims that technological progress in all fields correlate. You can't, because I have evidence for this in that we are more advanced today in all fields of technology than we were a few centuries ago. It is impossible for the Asgard to have intergalactic hyperdrives but a level of medical science that is only equal or inferior to that of us today.

  6. #26
    Colonel s09119's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    7,457

    Default Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    Quote Originally Posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
    I don't need to know any alien civilizations because I have us as an example. Like I said, disprove my claims that technological progress in all fields correlate. You can't, because I have evidence for this in that we are more advanced today in all fields of technology than we were a few centuries ago. It is impossible for the Asgard to have intergalactic hyperdrives but a level of medical science that is only equal or inferior to that of us today.
    Um... I highly doubt humanity as of today could solve a rapidly-progressing genetic disease caused by a "glitch" in a cloning process. I'd equate it to cancer, actually, and we can't cure that, can we?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

  7. #27
    Captain
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,268

    Default Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    Um... I highly doubt humanity as of today could solve a rapidly-progressing genetic disease caused by a "glitch" in a cloning process. I'd equate it to cancer, actually, and we can't cure that, can we?
    Some cancers we can cure and others we can slow down; whilst others we can't cure at all. But in all cases we know what is going on and how the disease works. Given that I am sure in time we will be able to cure them all. We might not be able to solve the Asgard genetic problem, but maybe we can show them a new way of tackling the problem. Remember they used Sam with her stupid idea's to fight the replicators.

    The old saying goes" it's the first sign of insanity of you try the same thing twice and expect a different outcome".

  8. #28
    Colonel s09119's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    7,457

    Default Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Starrtom View Post
    Some cancers we can cure and others we can slow down; whilst others we can't cure at all. But in all cases we know what is going on and how the disease works. Given that I am sure in time we will be able to cure them all. We might not be able to solve the Asgard genetic problem, but maybe we can show them a new way of tackling the problem. Remember they used Sam with her stupid idea's to fight the replicators.

    The old saying goes" it's the first sign of insanity of you try the same thing twice and expect a different outcome".
    Remember, though, the Asgard no longer think on our level. They try to achieve a "win" through elegant technology and powerful weapons; they may never consider sabotage or spying. This can be applied to medicine, too. They could be pumping out all sorts of amazing medicines and surgical tools, but might never think of using nanites to to crawl inside you and cut out a tumor.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

  9. #29
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA - VA / FL
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    oops I must have said something bad or revealing to get snipped I guess, kinda hard to believe though since I don't know anything "revealing" so maybe i cursed accidentally...

    anyway I forget what the term is called when a society develops to a certain point then they shun technology to a degree for whatever reason, It could be interesting to see an off-shoot of the asgard that for some reason did that, be it religious (which i doubt) or perhaps just through self-preservation and in the end they ended up being the ones that were right because the more technologically advanced asgard "done blew themselves up"

  10. #30
    General
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,102

    Default Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    Quote Originally Posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
    I don't need to know any alien civilizations because I have us as an example. Like I said, disprove my claims that technological progress in all fields correlate. You can't, because I have evidence for this in that we are more advanced today in all fields of technology than we were a few centuries ago. It is impossible for the Asgard to have intergalactic hyperdrives but a level of medical science that is only equal or inferior to that of us today.
    While you definitely have a point there, s09119 is right. We weren't told the details of the genetic disease that plagued the Asgard, and thus we can't really say that it'll only take what we know to cure it. It could be ridiculously complicated for all we know.

    And aren't some people already looking into developing hyperdrives?

  11. #31
    Second Lieutenant Aewon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    Building an intergalactic hyperdrive requires far more advanced science than curing a physiological condition. There is no reason why a civilization capable of that wouldn't be able to cure a genetic disease. And you are wrong about being advanced in one area but not in others. For instance, creating the hydrogen bomb and sending man to the Moon required the development of computers, because the sheer amount of computations necessary for accomplishing that is not possible with a pocket calcluator. So here we have an example of an advancement in one area of technology advancing others. Look at us. We are far more advanced today in all areas of technology than we were a thousand years ago. Not in some, but in all. Technological development in different areas correlate. You will never see a species that is super-advanced in one area being completely primitive in another. As we advance, all of our technologies advance as well. Some might advance faster than others, but advacement in all areas of technology correlate.
    1. You're assuming the technological timeline is linear. It is not. If Einstein had died in childbirth there would be no Theory of Relativity, or at least not for decades later, and we would not have had nuclear weapons. Besides, did you know that steam was originally invented by a Greek philosopher in Alexandria more than 2,000 years ago?

    2. A civilization can, in theory, build air planes and quite possible rockets that can leave the orbit of the civilization's home planet without going through an industrial revolution. Technological development would have been a lot slower, but it would have moved forwards.

    3. The "Western" civilization today was created by European imperialists that forcibly modernised other civilizations in the world that were less advanced. That happened in the Americas, Africa and China and southern Asia. And Australia, too. The Greeks would not have done that. They would have made trade-partners across the seas (they already had such trading partners, but I'm talking globally here) and only influenced them in some ways as they would in turn have influenced them.

  12. #32
    Lieutenant Colonel kymeric's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,326

    Default Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Starrtom View Post
    I think the final end of the Asgard was the wrong move. How can a race that has been around for eons and the level of technology they achieved just give up and destroy themselves because they couldn't solve what is in essance a technological problem? It beggers belief, if mankind was in their position would we do what they did? I think in the end they showed that they are neurotic whimps, it was totally unnecessary to end such a great race. What do you folk think?
    LAWL

    Titanic: how can something soo big sink?

  13. #33
    Airman
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    33

    Thor Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    Quote Originally Posted by AscendedThor View Post
    I think the Asgard faked their deaths. think about it, where is their fleet? where are all their ships? why didn't they give them to Earth?

    I think they faked their deaths. they did destroy their planet but not before storing all their brains on their ships and moving to some other distant galaxy to restart thier civilization without constantly being bothered by replicators, ori, goauld, and earthlings asking for help.
    I believe they faked their deaths, aswell. Also, I never bought their inabillity to ascend. I always thought/looked at ascention as a cerebral eveolution, not souly a biological one. But I digress, I keep thinking somewhere out there they have their new and improved bodies (I would imagine scrauny human size body mixed with asguard chracteristics). Still P.O.ed about the Furrlings though.
    Check your facts.
    http://www.fact-index.com

  14. #34
    Probie
    Member Since
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    this whole thing is completely idiotic. what were the writer thinking? They weren't anywhere close to dying off. There was still hope. and if the time travel pod of the ancients is any indication, more than just hope.
    Also, considering their ability to upload their consciousness to a computer, no reason they couldn't survive in some sort of mechanical or robotic form.

    everything about it completely reeks.

  15. #35
    Probie
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1

    Thumbs up Re: The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

    Quote Originally Posted by meenamjah View Post
    this whole thing is completely idiotic. what were the writer thinking? They weren't anywhere close to dying off. There was still hope. and if the time travel pod of the ancients is any indication, more than just hope.
    Also, considering their ability to upload their consciousness to a computer, no reason they couldn't survive in some sort of mechanical or robotic form.

    everything about it completely reeks.
    I started watching Stargate SG-1 this year and just finished the last episode of the series. Really enjoyed it.
    My bet is that the Asgard gave humans Asgardian technology and faked their deaths as a way to test humans for their true worthiness of being a 5th race.

    With the Asgardian technology and the Asgards gone, Earth now basically has an unchallenged power over the entire universe.
    Would they abuse their superior power or still use it to do good? Would they just use it for only helping themselves or would they become the new protectors of life throughout the universe? How do they act when no one is watching them anymore?

    Anyway I hope to know more about their faith when watching SGU or SG Atlantis or the continuum movie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Asgard's and ZPMs?
    By Oma Desala in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: October 12th, 2009, 03:03 AM
  2. Also, my views on the Asgard's and unending spoilers
    By apc3161 in forum SG-1 Season 10
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 26th, 2007, 10:55 AM
  3. Hermoid's Fate ("Unending" spoilers)
    By FallenAngelII in forum Atlantis Season 4
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: May 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM
  4. Fate of Lee (spoilers)
    By WGAnubis in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: March 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM
  5. Does this sound farmiliar? Unending Spoilers....discussion of unending plot point
    By True!Ancient in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: March 14th, 2007, 10:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •