No announcement yet.

The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building an intergalactic hyperdrive requires far more advanced science than curing a physiological condition. There is no reason why a civilization capable of that wouldn't be able to cure a genetic disease. And you are wrong about being advanced in one area but not in others. For instance, creating the hydrogen bomb and sending man to the Moon required the development of computers, because the sheer amount of computations necessary for accomplishing that is not possible with a pocket calcluator. So here we have an example of an advancement in one area of technology advancing others. Look at us. We are far more advanced today in all areas of technology than we were a thousand years ago. Not in some, but in all. Technological development in different areas correlate. You will never see a species that is super-advanced in one area being completely primitive in another. As we advance, all of our technologies advance as well. Some might advance faster than others, but advacement in all areas of technology correlate.
    1. You're assuming the technological timeline is linear. It is not. If Einstein had died in childbirth there would be no Theory of Relativity, or at least not for decades later, and we would not have had nuclear weapons. Besides, did you know that steam was originally invented by a Greek philosopher in Alexandria more than 2,000 years ago?

2. A civilization can, in theory, build air planes and quite possible rockets that can leave the orbit of the civilization's home planet without going through an industrial revolution. Technological development would have been a lot slower, but it would have moved forwards.

3. The "Western" civilization today was created by European imperialists that forcibly modernised other civilizations in the world that were less advanced. That happened in the Americas, Africa and China and southern Asia. And Australia, too. The Greeks would not have done that. They would have made trade-partners across the seas (they already had such trading partners, but I'm talking globally here) and only influenced them in some ways as they would in turn have influenced them.

Comment

Originally posted by Starrtom View Post
      I think the final end of the Asgard was the wrong move. How can a race that has been around for eons and the level of technology they achieved just give up and destroy themselves because they couldn't solve what is in essance a technological problem? It beggers belief, if mankind was in their position would we do what they did? I think in the end they showed that they are neurotic whimps, it was totally unnecessary to end such a great race. What do you folk think?
      LAWL

Titanic: how can something soo big sink?

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedThor View Post
        I think the Asgard faked their deaths. think about it, where is their fleet? where are all their ships? why didn't they give them to Earth?

I think they faked their deaths. they did destroy their planet but not before storing all their brains on their ships and moving to some other distant galaxy to restart thier civilization without constantly being bothered by replicators, ori, goauld, and earthlings asking for help.
        I believe they faked their deaths, aswell. Also, I never bought their inabillity to ascend. I always thought/looked at ascention as a cerebral eveolution, not souly a biological one. But I digress, I keep thinking somewhere out there they have their new and improved bodies (I would imagine scrauny human size body mixed with asguard chracteristics). Still P.O.ed about the Furrlings though.
        Check your facts.
        http://www.fact-index.com

Comment

this whole thing is completely idiotic. what were the writer thinking? They weren't anywhere close to dying off. There was still hope. and if the time travel pod of the ancients is any indication, more than just hope.
          Also, considering their ability to upload their consciousness to a computer, no reason they couldn't survive in some sort of mechanical or robotic form.

everything about it completely reeks.

Comment

Originally posted by meenamjah View Post
            this whole thing is completely idiotic. what were the writer thinking? They weren't anywhere close to dying off. There was still hope. and if the time travel pod of the ancients is any indication, more than just hope.
            Also, considering their ability to upload their consciousness to a computer, no reason they couldn't survive in some sort of mechanical or robotic form.

everything about it completely reeks.
            I started watching Stargate SG-1 this year and just finished the last episode of the series. Really enjoyed it.
            My bet is that the Asgard gave humans Asgardian technology and faked their deaths as a way to test humans for their true worthiness of being a 5th race.

With the Asgardian technology and the Asgards gone, Earth now basically has an unchallenged power over the entire universe.
            Would they abuse their superior power or still use it to do good? Would they just use it for only helping themselves or would they become the new protectors of life throughout the universe? How do they act when no one is watching them anymore?

Anyway I hope to know more about their faith when watching SGU or SG Atlantis or the continuum movie.

Comment

Working...
            X