No announcement yet.

The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also what happened to the other asgard planets they had more than 1. but would be cool of the asgard came back and sadi in 4 years oh were not realy did we were just facking it so we didnt have to babysit the universe for a while.

also could be cool that atlantis is exploring an anceint or wratih compound and finds a frozen asgaurd thats been captured either the wraith wanted its technology and didnt feed on it or the anceints were impressed by the asgard brain and when they werent looking thought lets just go steal one and find out what makes it tick.

if the asgard were gona commit suicide they could atleast kamikazied there ships into the ori home galaxy and saved us one last time but thats just sucky.

oh well long live the asgard.
    if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

[mod snip]

seriously though it is a cool idea for the Asgard to have a "shoot-off" race maybe less technologically advanced even, elsewhere (other galaxy perhaps)
      Last edited by TameFarrar; 20 February 2008, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Starrtom View Post
        I am not sure I agree with your anology of juming off the building if it's on fire. My answer to that is, if there are no other options I probably would, but this is an immediate life and death issue. The Asgard weren't about to die within minutes. Yes they made a lot of mistakes, they could have asKed theTauri to help them, like we did with their fight against the replicators. Get a differernt way of looking at the problem, why didn't they do that? The Tokra might have been able to help them, there was still a few options.
        First off...I guess I wasn't exactly clear on my analogy. I meant about the pain part. They said they, as a race, were almost dead in Unending. Almost as in...who knows? Days? Years? But not many years. And yes, we don't know if they were in pain, but I can only imagine.

And it's been a long time coming, anyway. We have known they were a dieing race for a long time...and they have known way before us. And who knows if the Tokra could have helped, I mean...there problem is in the cloning... and have Tokra ever experiments with that? And I don't know that we could help them, we can't even clone a human....

Comment

Originally posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
          Yes, the Asgard are capable of building hyperdrives that make their ships be able to cross galaxies in minutes, but they can't fix a genetic problem. Makes as much sense as anything else in Stargate...
          That makes no sense. Just because they're advanced in one area of technology, doesn't mean they're equally advanced in all areas. Besides, we don't even have a "scale of advancement". For all we know, getting hyperdrives is nothing compared to how much you have to advanced to reach the level they're at with cloning tech.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            That makes no sense. Just because they're advanced in one area of technology, doesn't mean they're equally advanced in all areas. Besides, we don't even have a "scale of advancement". For all we know, getting hyperdrives is nothing compared to how much you have to advanced to reach the level they're at with cloning tech.
            Very true. For example, the Lanteans could build drone weapons and the stargate network, but their hyperdrives took months to cross the Pegasus Galaxy ("Aurora").
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

also if the asgard ships were as powerful, like destroying a ship with three blasts. why don't they fight, they could win. At least 5 ships to 2 or three.

Also why didn't the asgard try to destroy the supergate.

Comment

Originally posted by striker7770 View Post
                also if the asgard ships were as powerful, like destroying a ship with three blasts. why don't they fight, they could win. At least 5 ships to 2 or three.

Also why didn't the asgard try to destroy the supergate.
                In "Beachhead," the Asgard are still rebuilding from their war with the Replicators, and couldn't spare any ships on such short notice. And in "Camelot," they arrived only a short while before the Ori arrived, and seeing as the Jaffa had already tried and failed they probably figured it would be a better use of time to try and disable the gate rather than try and destroy it.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  Building an intergalactic hyperdrive requires far more advanced science than curing a physiological condition. There is no reason why a civilization capable of that wouldn't be able to cure a genetic disease. And you are wrong about being advanced in one area but not in others. For instance, creating the hydrogen bomb and sending man to the Moon required the development of computers, because the sheer amount of computations necessary for accomplishing that is not possible with a pocket calcluator. So here we have an example of an advancement in one area of technology advancing others. Look at us. We are far more advanced today in all areas of technology than we were a thousand years ago. Not in some, but in all. Technological development in different areas correlate. You will never see a species that is super-advanced in one area being completely primitive in another. As we advance, all of our technologies advance as well. Some might advance faster than others, but advacement in all areas of technology correlate.

Comment

Building an intergalactic hyperdrive requires far more advanced science than curing a physiological condition. There is no reason why a civilization capable of that wouldn't be able to cure that. And you are wrong about being advanced in one area but not in others. For instance, creating the hydrogen bomb and sending man to the Moon required the development of computers, because the sheer amount of computations necessary for accomplishing that is not possible with apocket calcluator. So here we have an example of an advancement in one area of technology advaning others. Look at us. We are far more advanced today in all areas of technology than we were a thousand years ago. Not in some, but in all. Technological development in different areas correlate. You will never see a species that is super-advanced in one area being completely primitive in another. As we advance, all of out technologies advance as well. Some might advance faster than others, but advacement in all areas of technology correlate.
                    Considering you don't know of any real alien civilizations, that entire post is speculative. Of course a society may be very advanced in one area and not much in another. For all we know, the Asgard spent 3000 years devoted entirely to hyperdrive research and not much else. We have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                      Considering you don't know of any real alien civilizations, that entire post is speculative. Of course a society may be very advanced in one area and not much in another. For all we know, the Asgard spent 3000 years devoted entirely to hyperdrive research and not much else. We have no idea.
                      I don't need to know any alien civilizations because I have us as an example. Like I said, disprove my claims that technological progress in all fields correlate. You can't, because I have evidence for this in that we are more advanced today in all fields of technology than we were a few centuries ago. It is impossible for the Asgard to have intergalactic hyperdrives but a level of medical science that is only equal or inferior to that of us today.

Comment

I don't need to know any alien civilizations because I have us as an example. Like I said, disprove my claims that technological progress in all fields correlate. You can't, because I have evidence for this in that we are more advanced today in all fields of technology than we were a few centuries ago. It is impossible for the Asgard to have intergalactic hyperdrives but a level of medical science that is only equal or inferior to that of us today.
                        Um... I highly doubt humanity as of today could solve a rapidly-progressing genetic disease caused by a "glitch" in a cloning process. I'd equate it to cancer, actually, and we can't cure that, can we?

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                          Um... I highly doubt humanity as of today could solve a rapidly-progressing genetic disease caused by a "glitch" in a cloning process. I'd equate it to cancer, actually, and we can't cure that, can we?
                          Some cancers we can cure and others we can slow down; whilst others we can't cure at all. But in all cases we know what is going on and how the disease works. Given that I am sure in time we will be able to cure them all. We might not be able to solve the Asgard genetic problem, but maybe we can show them a new way of tackling the problem. Remember they used Sam with her stupid idea's to fight the replicators.

The old saying goes" it's the first sign of insanity of you try the same thing twice and expect a different outcome".

Comment

Originally posted by Starrtom View Post
                            Some cancers we can cure and others we can slow down; whilst others we can't cure at all. But in all cases we know what is going on and how the disease works. Given that I am sure in time we will be able to cure them all. We might not be able to solve the Asgard genetic problem, but maybe we can show them a new way of tackling the problem. Remember they used Sam with her stupid idea's to fight the replicators.

The old saying goes" it's the first sign of insanity of you try the same thing twice and expect a different outcome".
                            Remember, though, the Asgard no longer think on our level. They try to achieve a "win" through elegant technology and powerful weapons; they may never consider sabotage or spying. This can be applied to medicine, too. They could be pumping out all sorts of amazing medicines and surgical tools, but might never think of using nanites to to crawl inside you and cut out a tumor.

Comment

oops I must have said something bad or revealing to get snipped I guess, kinda hard to believe though since I don't know anything "revealing" so maybe i cursed accidentally...

anyway I forget what the term is called when a society develops to a certain point then they shun technology to a degree for whatever reason, It could be interesting to see an off-shoot of the asgard that for some reason did that, be it religious (which i doubt) or perhaps just through self-preservation and in the end they ended up being the ones that were right because the more technologically advanced asgard "done blew themselves up"

Comment

While you definitely have a point there, s09119 is right. We weren't told the details of the genetic disease that plagued the Asgard, and thus we can't really say that it'll only take what we know to cure it. It could be ridiculously complicated for all we know.

And aren't some people already looking into developing hyperdrives?

Comment

Working...
                                X