The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Asgard's Fate ('Unending' SPOILERS)

I think the final end of the Asgard was the wrong move. How can a race that has been around for eons and the level of technology they achieved just give up and destroy themselves because they couldn't solve what is in essance a technological problem? It beggers belief, if mankind was in their position would we do what they did? I think in the end they showed that they are neurotic whimps, it was totally unnecessary to end such a great race. What do you folk think?

I think the Asgard faked their deaths. think about it, where is their fleet? where are all their ships? why didn't they give them to Earth?

I think they faked their deaths. they did destroy their planet but not before storing all their brains on their ships and moving to some other distant galaxy to restart thier civilization without constantly being bothered by replicators, ori, goauld, and earthlings asking for help.

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedThor View Post
      I think the Asgard faked their deaths. think about it, where is their fleet? where are all their ships? why didn't they give them to Earth?

I think they faked their deaths. they did destroy their planet but not before storing all their brains on their ships and moving to some other distant galaxy to restart thier civilization without constantly being bothered by replicators, ori, goauld, and earthlings asking for help.
      That's not a bad idea, I like it, unlikely but I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
        I think you should have used the search function.
        sorry didn' realise there was a similar thread. Still welcome to express a view though

Comment

Yes, killing off the Asgard is perhaps the only thing nearly all Stargate fans will agree to hate. That and maybe Kinsley.

Comment

the faked deaths thing is a cool idea, if they did maybe we could find out about it in SGU and be like wtf are you doin here and get all pissy with em lol

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
              Yes, killing off the Asgard is perhaps the only thing nearly all Stargate fans will agree to hate. That and maybe Kinsley.
              I actually liked it, but hated Unending. The Asgard dieing should have happened last, as a climax of sort. But I don't like them moving away from us and their problems....hell, we saved them a thousand times, and i am sure they aren't cowards, and thats what the would be if they were "running away".

And why would they kill themselves? Ask yourself this: Would you jump off a 20 story building that on fire, and you as well? I mean, your burns are only a "technology" problem, who cares that it will hurt like hell...

Would you jump and kill yourself? They admit it to themselves and everyone, they made to many grave mistakes, I believe their words were.

Now as to where their fleet is...good question, plothole? Or did they solve their problem, wanted the Ori to believe they were dead so they could go off and actually fix themselves in peace, and then come back when Earth kills the Ori? Who knows. The writers might not even know.

So maybe we all are waiting!

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                I actually liked it, but hated Unending. The Asgard dieing should have happened last, as a climax of sort. But I don't like them moving away from us and their problems....hell, we saved them a thousand times, and i am sure they aren't cowards, and thats what the would be if they were "running away".

And why would they kill themselves? Ask yourself this: Would you jump off a 20 story building that on fire, and you as well? I mean, your burns are only a "technology" problem, who cares that it will hurt like hell...

Would you jump and kill yourself? They admit it to themselves and everyone, they made to many grave mistakes, I believe their words were.

Now as to where their fleet is...good question, plothole? Or did they solve their problem, wanted the Ori to believe they were dead so they could go off and actually fix themselves in peace, and then come back when Earth kills the Ori? Who knows. The writers might not even know.

So maybe we all are waiting!
                I am not sure I agree with your anology of juming off the building if it's on fire. My answer to that is, if there are no other options I probably would, but this is an immediate life and death issue. The Asgard weren't about to die within minutes. Yes they made a lot of mistakes, they could have asKed theTauri to help them, like we did with their fight against the replicators. Get a differernt way of looking at the problem, why didn't they do that? The Tokra might have been able to help them, there was still a few options.

Comment

At the VERY least, couldn't we have hooked them up with Harlen from "Tin Man" so that they could get robot bodies? Surely they could have figured out an internal power source so that they wouldn't be stuck there fixing crap all day long!

I am on the "They faked their deaths" bandwagon. They are simply not stupid enough to commit mass suicide....right??????

Com-traya!
                  sigpic

Comment

I am sick and tired of people in this board boasting ad nauseum about how we have "saved" the Asgard a dozen times. Guess what? If the Asgard hadn't included us in the Interplanetary Protection treaty, the System Lords would ahve wiped us out, no "ifs", "ands" or "buts". However, it is not a sure thing the Asgard wouldn't have survived the replicators without our help, so stop boasting because the Asgard did much more for us then us for them.

Comment

I still like the idea that not all asgard would have acceptedb the cloning and would have left only to go to another galaxy cluster or something, it's a long shot but I would like it. They must have had very few asgard left to get rid of all of their population at once, perhaps in the asgard cc they have the minds of all of them stored. I hate not having the asgard around, I hope they did fake their own death then step in and save atlantis from total destruction in season 5/6. If they had gone around blowing up loads of ships and things no-one would have noticed.
                      Best quotes ever:
                      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                      Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                      Thor:I like the yellow ones
                      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Yes, the Asgard are capable of building hyperdrives that make their ships be able to cross galaxies in minutes, but they can't fix a genetic problem. Makes as much sense as anything else in Stargate...

Comment

It's sad to see the Asgard go, but in my opinion, it's a necessary step of the series. For years, there was always this sense that if things were to really go wrong, the Asgard could always step in and help. Since the destruction of the MW Replicators, that has been even more so. I know there have been plenty of fans that wondered why there weren't anymore Asgard kicking Ori butt.

This way, Earth is really on it's own again (for the most part) despite having some awesome technology; they're now the Fifth Race, it's up to them to guide the galaxy, despite not really being ready for it. It significantly ups the danger-level now that the Asgard are gone.

Finally, I think the writers also wanted to sort of make a point that no species can outrun their demise. By cloning, the Asgard had done more wrong than good to themselves and rendered themselves incapable of Ascension. When you're dying, you can fight all you want, but there comes a point where everyone has to throw in the towel.

Comment

Why would the Asgard give their fleet to Earth? Seriously, how much more powerful do you people want Earth to get? They already have a database full ofthe Asgard's knowledge allowing them to create whatever they want once they understand its contents and giving it to a race who are as capable of destroying themselves then using it in any meaningful manner and doesnt even have an established world government.......

Anyway, as Heimdall said, the Asgard were a dying race... their mistake on using cloning technology exclusively meant that their genome was irrepairbly damaged. It would have taken a deus ex machina to save them due to the constant failure.

Another reason was to remove such a powerful force from protecting Earth all the time... I mean how many people have said, the Ori are invading the galaxy where are the Asgard? Anubis sent an asteroid at Earth, where are the Asgard? My car is not working, where are the Asgard?! It makes Earth walk by itself without using the Asgard as effective cover.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

but, but, but...if tptb didn't kill the asgard how else would we get a plot device to explain the rapidly growing new tech toys that is currently replacing the stargate itself and morphing the run off show into...Stargate Enterprise.
                              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Working...
                              X