• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battlestar Galatica?

So who else watched the episode today?
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Was it the old series, the new series in the UK, or the miniseries?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

new uk one!
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
        new uk one!
        Oh, didn't see it, cause I live in the US. We don't get it until 01-05.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

Yeah, it seems the Brits get it long before we Americans.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18634

New GALACTICA Tonight in UK?!!
          Sky 1 Scoops SciFi!!
          I am – Hercules!!

We yanks don’t get a peek till 2005, but the United Kingdom starts getting “Battlestar Galactica” in a few short hours via Sky One?? Oy!
          This is, by all accounts this really the new series Last year’s SciFi miniseries ran on Sky One last week.
          What say you, my limey cousins? How does it look?
          Just a note Herc that the new series of Battlestar Galactica starts tonight at 8.00pm here in the UK - I don't think many people are aware that as Sky helped finance it they get first showing here way before the US - seemed they liked the look of the miniseries so much they splashed out and have been pushing it for the past week. That said the lack of announcements in the normal press and the assumption that it premieres in the US in 2005 means that most people seem to think they are simply reshowing the miniseries again, which is not the case.

I shall be sure to get a review to you for this time tomorrow, but it may be worth reminding people that this is happening, should you be inclined! 8.00pm Sky One.

best wishes and thanks for keeping me up to date with all things media-related for the past few years!

Pauly

Comment

Hmmmm

1. THEY COMPLETELY DROPPED ONE OF THE CLASSIC SCIFI THEME TUNES AND REPLACED IT WITH FORGETTABLE AFRICAN DRUM BEAT STUFF! Bleepers!

2. In terms of feel they've nicked a few moves off Space: Above and Beyond with everyone seeming very hard-assed military.

3. The Cylon back story sounds very interesting.

4. It's a pretty slow mover though. Luckily it's faster the 2001 speed otherwise I'd have given up on it. I'll stick with S1 and see what happens.
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I have to say, just from the miniseries as my BSG background, that the TOS of BSG was @$$ compared to the new one. I'm sorry, but the new one has everything in it. The old one, was one massive joke, minus the first 3 hour pilot, and Gun on Ice Planet Zero (or w\e).

Comment

Sky isn't broadcasting in HDTV are they?

Comment

It was really good. I love Starbuck .

I'm interested to see where the show goes with the chap on Caprica.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                    1. THEY COMPLETELY DROPPED ONE OF THE CLASSIC SCIFI THEME TUNES AND REPLACED IT WITH FORGETTABLE AFRICAN DRUM BEAT STUFF! Bleepers!
                    Oh yeah - the new music did totally suck. Much prefer the old one!

Really enjoyed the first episode though - loved the whole 33 minutes angle. It was kind of like watching 24 with that ticking clock. But in space!

So glad they brought back Lt Helo (the guy stranded on Caprica), as I loved him in the mini-series. So cute! Hope he sticks around for the rest of the series.

Gaius was just brilliant. You know he's the bad guy and you shouldn't like him, but you can't help yourself. He's just so funny and adorable.

Billy! Well could he be any cuter??

And I will always love Apollo (any Apollo)! But Starbuck is great too. It really doesn't bother me that Starbuck's a woman. I think Katee Sackhoff's done a great job so far.

Can't wait till next week's episode - this is shaping up to be some quality sci-fi drama.
                    "Never give up! Never surrender!" - Galaxy Quest

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                      The old one, was one massive joke, minus the first 3 hour pilot, and Gun on Ice Planet Zero (or w\e).
                      Oh no, I loved the old series. That was classic TV! Apollo and Starbuck were a great double-act and the cylons were just iconic.

Remember it was made a long time ago...
                      "Never give up! Never surrender!" - Galaxy Quest

Comment

I was a big fan of the original when I was a kid, but I like the new one too and I certainly don't feel like they have ruined the original for me.

I really like the feel of it, its different from any other show on at the moment. Can't quite put my finger on what it is but there's something that just makes this feel really cool.

I think maybe that its almost got a documentary feel to it that brings you inside and makes you feel closer to the action and characters.

Can't say I mind Starbuck being a woman either. I think she is excellent.

Boomer is cute too, very nice eye candy
                        Hammond "Colonel, General Chekov thinks that due to our arrangement with the Russian government a russian soldier be assigned to SG1"

O'Neill "Over my rotting corpse Sir" *pauses* "Oh did I say that out loud"

Hammond "I did say that I would discuss it with you and that you would give the matter some careful consideration"

O'Neill "Yes I'm sure I would, but I would still probably say bite me"

Comment

I remember the original when it first aired, and it was amazing TV at the time. It had the biggest production budget per episode ever given to a TV show, and the special effects were amazing - they were the sorts of things that you had, until then, only got to see once in a while when a movie like Star Wars hit the big screen. Suddenly, there it was every week, right in your living room.

You have to remember when looking at these special effects that they were all done before computers, and before CGI.

The stirring theme tune built up the excitement, and Lorne Greene's memorable voiceover 'ragtag fleet' made you feel like you were watching something special. Maybe some of the story lines were hokey, and I could have done without Muffy or whatever that dogs name was, but overall it was incredibly innovative TV for its time.

While they've made some changes to the new series, I think that they've kept to the spirit of the original which is hugely important to me - I'll definitely be tuning in on Monday nights. It's a relief to see more sci fi on the screens at any rate!
                          sigpic

Comment

It was allright if slow moving, I'm hoping the pace will pick up, I enjoyed the scenes with Gaius and the Cylon Chick in particular and when she says about his multi tasking, I had hoped that we would see more of the boomer/cylon agent story line though but no so I'll look forward to that.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think the Boomer/cylon agent storyline is one of those threads which will pay off bigger the longer it's left. I hope so anyway.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X