Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help that only a Stargate Fan can provide!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help that only a Stargate Fan can provide!

Alright to put it simply I need to find a new Space Science Fiction series to watch (live action), and I thought that since you guys are fans of Stargate we should have similar tastes. I'll start by listing the series that I already own..etc..(when I list a series I mean that I either have every episode or access to every episode..) there are many other series i've watched and enjoyed but this is specifically about series dealing with space, preferably good ones please..Supernatural is an example of a show I enjoyed that wasn't really Science Fiction but obviously fantasy however I would prefer just Space-Sci-Fi series as suggestions please, and no I don't love all these shows, Lexx for example I really didn't enjoy very much. and i'd prefer the shows not to be super-old depending on how well they've aged

also any information about upcoming space-based series would be nice as well.. I remember reading some news about a new show called "Revolution" just before the WGA strike started for example.

Stargate SG-1
    Stargate Atlantis
    Star Trek TOS
    Star Trek TNG
    Star Trek DS9
    Star Trek Voyager
    Star Trek Enterprise
    Battlestar Galactica (old and new)
    Babylon 5 (including all the movies)
    Babylon 5 Legend of the Rangers
    Andromeda
    Farscape (including peacekeeper wars)
    Firefly (and the movie serenity)
    Blake's 7
    Starhunter
    Lexx
    Hyperdrive
    Red Dwarf
    Doctor Who (I'm barely counting this one..not all about space..)
    Torchwood (same as above)
    X-Files (same as above)
    Space Above and Beyond
    Odyssey 5 (didn't really like this show at all, barely was in space too)
    Flash Gordon (the old one too, but thats older than I would prefer)
    Lost in Space (same as above)
    Dan Dare (same as above)
    4400 (not really about space...so I probably shouldn't even list it)
    Earth Final Conflict (not enough space)
    First Wave (same as above)
    V

my favorites are the Stargates, the Star Treks, Firefly, Farscape, BSG (new), and Babylon 5 in no particular order... so yeah I have alot of shows but I can't find anything new or at the very least new to me...so could you guys please help out a fellow fan?... I read a good bit too so a few book suggestions are welcome but thats not really what I'm looking for here.

thank you
    Last edited by Cynycal; 18 February 2008, 09:25 PM.

Well from my limited knowledge you have watched pretty much everything worth watching when it comes to space.

Perhaps the time has come to diversify your tastes a little to accomodate other sci fi or fantasy shows or maybe even something else entirely?

Comment

what's wrong with reading? there are so many good space based sci-fi books out there!!
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

You could try The Outer Limits. It's an anthology show so it's great for casual viewing, and many of the eps are pretty good. Some of writers eventually went on to producing the Stargate shows like Brad Wright, Mark Stern, Jonathan Glassner etc.

Futurama
        is another I'd highly recommend.
        "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gkyun View Post
          You could try The Outer Limits. It's an anthology show so it's great for casual viewing, and many of the eps are pretty good. Some of writers eventually went on to producing the Stargate shows like Brad Wright, Mark Stern, Jonathan Glassner etc.

Futurama
          is another I'd highly recommend.
          i used to love the outer limits as a kid!!!

i loved the one with the martian beetles, and the one where the guy was genetically modified with alien DNA...
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

I tried to list all the shows that weren't anime or space-sci fi that I have and have access to...Outer Limits was on that list...but I guess that I took too long and I lost the whole message which took me about an hour so i'm not going to re-list it, lets just say I've watched a list probably three times as long as my space-sci-fi list of non-space related sci fi / fantasy a couple favorites would be Lost, Heroes (season 1), Brisco County jr., Hercules (guilty pleasure i guess), Robin Hood, Reaper, Primeval (i really like primeval, i've heard alot of people talk it down...but for all it's failings it has managed to keep me interested which is more than most shows that take place solely on earth can say) I don't really enjoy these kinds of series as much as Space Sci-Fi usually but that isn't necessarily the rule, and I can't even make it through an episode of stuff like procedural crime dramas (NCIS, CSI, Law and order..etc..) even shows like Monk and Psych bore me usually.

I am interested in the "Wizard's first rule" series coming out in the semi-near-future as a fantasy series, read some of those sword of truth books so I'd expect it to be interesting at the least.

so the reason I was specifically targetting serialized space sci-fi is it keeps me interested, usually.

these shows I have aren't all on DVD, some are Digital some are on old VHS..etc..incase you're wondering

and yes I do read, I am reading "A Hymn before battle" right now by John Ringo, but I'm just looking for Series not movies, or mini-series something with hours of entertainment that I can watch while eating..etc.. (which I can't do while reading) usually one-shot books and movies bore me as there's no coming back to the characters..etc..but if you can think of any space-sci fi series of novels (espeacially with recurring characters) then by all means list them I've read quite a few but suggestions are always welcome.

and you're probably right perhaps I should "move-on" to other types of series
            maybe it would be best if I could watch series that weren't sci-fi / fantasy but I haven't found a single one that managed to interest me past the first 15 minutes sadly, I realize thats not the show's fault its likely something with me...who knows. for example Smallville is a show I consider barely watchable only because it has Superhero stuff in it, without this it would just be a teen drama and I couldn't make it through that, I have infact had to stop myself from Fast Forwarding through the non superhero parts of the show on many many occasions... though if you can think of a non-genre show that I might find interesting then by all means throw it at me, seriously if it has action it might have a chance possibly I can't deal with people's love live's..etc.. though

an action oriented show that I really don't like is "24" though.. so if that gives you any idea as to the level of boredom I am capable of feeling despite how "good" a show is then yeah you can see my problem

thankyou for trying though, I suspect that I might be a lost cause finding new entertainment for me has become a quest, I feel that I'm likely going to just have to re-watch all the shows that I already have for eternity though thats not really a "bad" thing. I'd just like to find something new

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
              i used to love the outer limits as a kid!!!

i loved the one with the martian beetles, and the one where the guy was genetically modified with alien DNA...
              yeah that episode with the martian beatles was awesome, atleast I think we're thinking of the same episode, the dude was studying them and they like began to worship him and stuff, one side built a statue of him and everything and the two factions of beatles had a war in which he intervened they developed kinda past their need for him and ended up killing him from what I can remember, not sure but I think that story has it's basis in a short story that i've read elsewhere...also think it was paralleled in an episode of the simpsons or something as well.

"simpsons did it, simpsons did it!" lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cynycal View Post
                yeah that episode with the martian beatles was awesome, atleast I think we're thinking of the same episode, the dude was studying them and they like began to worship him and stuff, one side built a statue of him and everything and the two factions of beatles had a war in which he intervened they developed kinda past their need for him and ended up killing him from what I can remember, not sure but I think that story has it's basis in a short story that i've read elsewhere...also think it was paralleled in an episode of the simpsons or something as well.

"simpsons did it, simpsons did it!" lol
                Lennon and Harrison Vs McCartney and Starr?

yeah that's the one, and yes the simpsons did it too
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                Quotes!
                sigpic

Comment

Have you tried the new Doctor Who? or hell even the old ones, 4th was my favourite and he travelled a lot to other worlds.

ETA: Never mind found it on your list. Seems like you've got everything i can think of.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, seems like you've seen a lot. There are a few older series like Space 1999 and UFO.

I also liked Earth 2 (another 1 and done series).

You don't have it listed, but the mini-series From the Earth to the Moon is a must watch (not sci-fi, but very good and all about space).

Maybe you'd like Sliders? It's not space based, but is kind of like Stargate. You could also try the Starship Troopers cartoon Roughneck series.

Comment

if you dont mind older stuff
                      Gerry Andersons Space:1999 is quite good, like old star trek but grittier.
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      Quotes!
                      sigpic

Comment

Definitely give The X Files a shot, it's not space-based but it's a great and iconic show. Doctor Who is also a must. EFC was also good, at least for about 3 seasons anyway. I really have no space-based series to suggest since you've already nailed all the good ones, but there are certainly a lot of great science fiction TV shows out there that aren't set in space:

- Eureka is an absolutely terrific show. I watched the first episode at a friend's house, and the same day went out and bought the first season DVD set. Yeah, it's that good
                        - Futurama's pretty much a must. It's easily one of the most imaginative shows out there, and hilariously funny too
                        - Quantum Leap. Time travel, not space, but a damn good series
                        - Dark Skies was a rather short-lived sci-fi conspiracy series, set in the 60s. Not very space-based either, but it was a pretty decent series from the odd episode I caught before Space stopped airing it
                        - Sliders was good for about three seasons too, even though that's dimensional rather than space
                        - Roswell was RDM's project before Carnivale, which he left to work on BSG. It's set in (wait for it) Roswell NM and as far as I can remember never goes to space, but it was a pretty decent show
                        - Samurai Jack is a cartoon, but it's really astonishingly well done and (at least I found) really draws you in. Seems to have a wide appeal too, my whole family likes it and we never agree on anything to watch
                        - Transformers. Yes, that Transformers, the original cartoon from which the recent movie took its ideas. Watch it, it's brilliant
                        - I've never watched it, but I've heard good things about Space 1999
                        - Same with Logan's Run
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          Definitely give The X Files a shot, it's not space-based but it's a great and iconic show. Doctor Who is also a must. EFC was also good, at least for about 3 seasons anyway. I really have no space-based series to suggest since you've already nailed all the good ones, but there are certainly a lot of great science fiction TV shows out there that aren't set in space:

- Eureka is an absolutely terrific show. I watched the first episode at a friend's house, and the same day went out and bought the first season DVD set. Yeah, it's that good
                          - Futurama's pretty much a must. It's easily one of the most imaginative shows out there, and hilariously funny too
                          - Quantum Leap. Time travel, not space, but a damn good series
                          - Dark Skies was a rather short-lived sci-fi conspiracy series, set in the 60s. Not very space-based either, but it was a pretty decent series from the odd episode I caught before Space stopped airing it
                          - Sliders was good for about three seasons too, even though that's dimensional rather than space
                          - Roswell was RDM's project before Carnivale, which he left to work on BSG. It's set in (wait for it) Roswell NM and as far as I can remember never goes to space, but it was a pretty decent show
                          - Samurai Jack is a cartoon, but it's really astonishingly well done and (at least I found) really draws you in. Seems to have a wide appeal too, my whole family likes it and we never agree on anything to watch
                          - Transformers. Yes, that Transformers, the original cartoon from which the recent movie took its ideas. Watch it, it's brilliant
                          - I've never watched it, but I've heard good things about Space 1999
                          - Same with Logan's Run
                          X-Files - Yes, Quantum Leap, YES!!, Space:1999 - Yes,

also if you really want to push it, UFO, another Gerry Anderson Live Action Series, it's funny to look at these days, but it OK
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          Quotes!
                          sigpic

Comment

thanks for the help the only shows out of those that I haven't watched are UFO, Space:1999, and Dark Skies... So i'll check those out, and yes i do like sliders well the first few seasons anyway =)

i mean i enjoy star trek: tos so as long as something has "aged well" i don't mind at all even though thats a bit before i was born (25 years old)

Comment

i feel space 1999 has aged better than TOS, it was made in the 70's and although it's set in 1999, on a moon base, on a moon which was flung out of orbit into the universe... it's still good, it doesn't have any of the saucy 60's stuff that made TOS unbearably laughable
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              Quotes!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X