This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recommendations?

Hey guys I was just wondering if the following sci fi series were worth watching. I haven't seen these series yet and don't want to waste my time if they are mediocre:
    Heroes
    Bionic Woman
    Doctor Who
    Babylon 5
    Smallville

and any others. SG1 is gone and BSG will be over soon. I still got Atlantis and a few others.... just wondering if there was some great series I'm missing out on.

I would say Heroes is a definate YESYESYES
    Doctor Who is pretty good, but it's difficult to guess whether someone will like it in advance of them giving it a go.
    I like Smallville personally, and there are a good few seasons to get your teeth into if you can find them cheap or want a lot to watch

i havent seen Bionic Woman, and havent seem B5 for so long i can barely remember it.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

I had a feeling I would like Heroes and I have a good friend who swears by Smallville... I've just never been into the whole 'superman' genre.

Comment

Originally posted by pileofcrap View Post
        I had a feeling I would like Heroes and I have a good friend who swears by Smallville... I've just never been into the whole 'superman' genre.
        i feel it's more than just "superman - the series" there's a lot of character depth, and some really good stories. i never really knew anything about superman beyond the movies until i saw smallville, so you don't need to be a big CD fan to watch it... also it is produced by the writers of Spider-Man 2
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

well my bud is going to be excited to hear I'm giving it a chance thanks for your input!

Comment

problemo = 0
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            Quotes!
            sigpic

Comment

You'd take the recommendation of a random stranger over the endorsement of a friend? Interesting.

Personally I can't stand Smallville. I don't like the Superman saga anyway, but I also don't think the show achieves the right balance between serious plot and complete cheese. It's too hokey for my taste and the growing trend of throwing special guest characters into the mix smacks of desperation. But that's just me. I know a lot of people who love it and either don't see it as being quite so cheesy or love it because of that.

However, if you're really looking to fill your schedule and don't know which shows to pick, try skimming episode guides- they'll give you a good idea of what the stories are like (if you don't mind being a bit spoiled) and you can decide for yourself if it's enough to catch your interest. You can also try browsing fan forums or, in the case of Gateworld, the subforums. Skim through the various show folders and see what fans are talking about and how they're reacting to the respective shows. Are most of them having a good time? Is there any dissension in the ranks? Do the threads make you curious to tune in? And hey, listen to your friends- if you know someone who's a fan of a show, ask 'em if they think you'd like it. They're in a position not only to know the show, but to know you and your tastes.

Asking random strangers is all well and good, but you'll get more informed recommendations from your friends and the best judge of all is you, yourself. Curious about Doctor Who? Watch a couple of eps. Rent the first season and see what you think. Heck, see if it's at your local library- I know it's in mine.

Comment

well it isn't that I wouldn't trust my friend just.. as I said before, I've never been into the whole superman thing and that's how he makes it sound.

Comment

Hey guys I was just wondering if the following sci fi series were worth watching. I haven't seen these series yet and don't want to waste my time if they are mediocre:
                  Heroes
                  Bionic Woman
                  Doctor Who
                  Babylon 5
                  Smallville

and any others. SG1 is gone and BSG will be over soon. I still got Atlantis and a few others.... just wondering if there was some great series I'm missing out on.
                  Heroes- yes, i never watched until recently, that was a month ago, I am now done the series
                  Bionic Woman- had potential but its a waste of time
                  Doctor Who- Not my particular type of show, good for the occasional watch
                  Babylon 5- They keep telling me it gets better i am currenty stuck midway through season two.
                  Smallville- Very good. Early episode are very predictable, last two seasons leaps and bounds have been made and it has gotten really interested.

Comment

I recommend Babylon 5 most definitely.

I've only seen one episode of Doctor Who, so I'm not a very good judge of that yet.

And, I haven't seen any of the others you've listed.

If you like shows that are weird and original, you should check out FarScape.
                    sigpic
                    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

arg I actually meant to put that in the list!!

Comment

My thoughts on each one.....

Heroes - well worth watching the excellent first season, the second was a mess, but hopefully the third will get back on track
                        Bionic Woman - a complete disappointment, and it has been cancelled anyway
                        Doctor Who - BRILLIANT! Some of the finest writing sci-fi television has seen, great actors, fun stories. You can't go wrong by at least checking it out.
                        Babylon 5 - never seen it, but I desperately want to
                        Smallville - dreadful show

If you're looking for something new to check out, I recommend Pushing Daisies. Excellent show that has just been renewed for a second season.

Comment

hmm haven't heard of Pushing Daisies. I'll look it up. Thanks

Comment

I reccommend Chuck...only a few episodes so far and it is definitely sc fi lite but oh so entertaining.

As for others you may want to give a chance if you haven't already... Alias, Farscape, Eureka and Kyle XY

Of your list however, I'd only truly reccommend Heroes. I consider Bionic Woman a waste of time.
                            Doctor Who is entertaining but for me, more mindless than other thing's I've watched.
                            I have nothing to say about B5 because I must admit I started watching the first episode got annoyed and turned off the DVD.

As for Smallville....it's a show of moments. It has a few good moments but more often than not while watching I find myself imagining all the creative ways Lana Lang can die. It's not great, but it's not so bad as to stir up a genuine rant.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Babylon 5 is a great series, well worth watching.

Heroes is also great.

Smallville is good but not to everyones taste

Farscape is the best, this series is just unbeatable as far as I´m concerned.

Comment

Working...
                              X