Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what exactly was the point of getting to Earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what exactly was the point of getting to Earth?

Maybe I'm missing something, but the Wraith plan didn't exactly seem viable. Sure they got to Earth, and maybe established a beachhead but then what? They're gonna conquer six billion people with a cruiser full of Wraith and stunners? The Wraith's only real advantage over Earth is their ships, and they wouldn't have any. Plus they know Earth has weapons that could easily wipe out any beachhead they established, which they were gonna do, although I don't know why, there were like ten Wraith left, and they had control of the iris again. Not to mention it wouldn't be that hard to disable the gate bridge. I don't get it, if this was their actual plan, it was idiotic. Maybe they were trying for something else, maybe disabling the bridge was their actual objective, could this have been a suicide mission? If it was though, why not just send a freaking bomb through?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but the Wraith plan didn't exactly seem viable. Sure they got to Earth, and maybe established a beachhead but then what? They're gonna conquer six billion people with a cruiser full of Wraith and stunners? The Wraith's only real advantage over Earth is their ships, and they wouldn't have any. Plus they know Earth has weapons that could easily wipe out any beachhead they established, which they were gonna do, although I don't know why, there were like ten Wraith left, and they had control of the iris again. Not to mention it wouldn't be that hard to disable the gate bridge. I don't get it, if this was their actual plan, it was idiotic. Maybe they were trying for something else, maybe disabling the bridge was their actual objective, could this have been a suicide mission? If it was though, why not just send a freaking bomb through?
    Very good observation. I tried for some time to make sense of their actions and no luck. Unless they launch an all out hive attack like they did with Atlantis, they have no chance to get an hold on Earth and they have a lot of tactical informations now to know this. Let's assume that in 'Allies' they lacked our tactical, security defences data. Anyway, any civilasation who reached few bilion people and few thousands years of technological and philosophical evolution is not something you take out with 2 hives or 1-2 thousands drones. I would expected their actions to go toward developing or stealing inter-galactic hyperdrive tech, which i think is their only way to survive.

Comment

I concur. The moment I saw the episode, I was like what the hell wraith are trying to achieve. Their action made no sense unless they were simply trying to send some folks for "lookout" so that later the whole bunch can come.

Comment

merely a scouting & reconnaissance mission, most likely

what I found surprising was the DoD's (over)reaction to the invasion - nuke the whole facility ?? what the hell, these are just wraith, not replicators

Comment

Here's what I kinda put together from it

The cruiser was carrying two waves of troopers, a commander and a computer tech, the first wave would come through to take over Midway. They were expecting some loses but not alot, once midway was secured the stun bomb would then be sent through to the SGC. Once the bomb disabled everybody in <x amount> of space (let's just say the whole base), what was then left of the first wave except the commander and computer tech would then be sent through to the SGC and secure the base and feed on anybody who wasn't effected by the bomb (hence why only 5 or so troopers were fed upon). The second wave would then come through to Midway and proceed to the SGC and most likely with the computer tech who would then secure the computers. Once an effective beach head was established, the unconscious personnel rounded up, the commander where then probably call for his hive(s) and then the rest of Earth would've been invaded, this is more then likely where the cloning facility would've came into play.

The only thing they weren't counting on was getting their butts kicked by only two men. But that's just my theory

Comment

The Wraith don't have very fast hyperdrives, they need to stop often at planets so they can't use their hives to come to Earth, at least that's what I heard from it?

Comment

As far as I remember, they can but they need to do stops because their ships must regenerate. So getting to Earth would take them more time than e.g. Dedalus - more than 3 weeks.

Icarium

Comment

At the moment their ships don't have the intergalatic hyperdrives needed to get to earth. And even if they did they would need to make frequent stops to let their ships recover from the radiation of hyperspace.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Road Dogg JR View Post
                  Here's what I kinda put together from it

The cruiser was carrying two waves of troopers, a commander and a computer tech, the first wave would come through to take over Midway. They were expecting some loses but not alot, once midway was secured the stun bomb would then be sent through to the SGC. Once the bomb disabled everybody in <x amount> of space (let's just say the whole base), what was then left of the first wave except the commander and computer tech would then be sent through to the SGC and secure the base and feed on anybody who wasn't effected by the bomb (hence why only 5 or so troopers were fed upon). The second wave would then come through to Midway and proceed to the SGC and most likely with the computer tech who would then secure the computers. Once an effective beach head was established, the unconscious personnel rounded up, the commander where then probably call for his hive(s) and then the rest of Earth would've been invaded, this is more then likely where the cloning facility would've came into play.

The only thing they weren't counting on was getting their butts kicked by only two men. But that's just my theory
                  I loved this ep, but this was my biggest problem with it as well. I also thought the scenario you have painted here was most likely the goal. However, why were the wraith heading for the surface rather than taking control of the SGC? That part has had me stumped for the last few days. SGC was already in lockdown, so no one could get in. Why weren't they trying to secure a foothold and gain control of the gate, thereby establishing their beachhead?

Also, on Earth's behalf, would a nuclear strike be effective on an underground facility? Wasn't the whole point of underground facilities like Norad and Cheyenne that they were more likely to survive surface attacks? Surely one of the first considerations of the military was making the their facility as invulnerable as possible to this kind of Earth-based strike?
                  sigpic
                  My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Originally posted by Lauriel View Post
                    Also, on Earth's behalf, would a nuclear strike be effective on an underground facility? Wasn't the whole point of underground facilities like Norad and Cheyenne that they were more likely to survive surface attacks? Surely one of the first considerations of the military was making the their facility as invulnerable as possible to this kind of Earth-based strike?
                    They've mentioned in other eps (like "Reckoning") that they drop the nuke down the missile silo/gateroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                      They've mentioned in other eps (like "Reckoning") that they drop the nuke down the missile silo/gateroom.
                      Ah, thank you. I must confess my attention wandered through some of the SG-1 eps. *ducks missiles*
                      sigpic

Comment

The invasion was a bit off. The Wraith was smart enough not to invade the world with kids because they had to take it on foot without guns. How will they take a planet with 6 billion people with just foot soldiers. They needed 12 hiveships to take Atlantis.

After capturing midway I was expecting a hiveship to drop out of hyperspace and occupy/secure it The first wave was there only to incapacitate the personel so they cannot use the self destruct on midway.

Once they fortified midway they get the gate address of Earth and Atlantis from the midway computer. They send their stun bomb on Atlantis then invading it. After Atlantis is secure then you go after Earth. You attack Atlantis first to prevent them from attacking from the Pegasus Gate, like what Shepard did.

Between the SGC and Atlantis the Wraith had a better chance of securing Atlantis, after all the personel was knocked unconscious, because Atlantis is in Pegasus. After All the SGA personnel is knock unconscious a Hiveship could waltz right in unencumbered. They final capture Atlantis Yeah Hey for them.

Now they focus all their efforst to Earth. They should have secured a beachhead in one of the poorer planets in the Milkyway. Set up an out post. Then relay coordinates of the milky way to the entire Wraith fleet. The result Wraith are in the Pegasus Galaxy and Jack O'neil can now command all SG units to fight them, I know Landry is in command of the SGC but I like O'neil more. hehehe.
                        Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
                          The invasion was a bit off. The Wraith was smart enough not to invade the world with kids because they had to take it on foot without guns. How will they take a planet with 6 billion people with just foot soldiers. They needed 12 hiveships to take Atlantis.

After capturing midway I was expecting a hiveship to drop out of hyperspace and occupy/secure it The first wave was there only to incapacitate the personel so they cannot use the self destruct on midway.

Once they fortified midway they get the gate address of Earth and Atlantis from the midway computer. They send their stun bomb on Atlantis then invading it. After Atlantis is secure then you go after Earth. You attack Atlantis first to prevent them from attacking from the Pegasus Gate, like what Shepard did.

Between the SGC and Atlantis the Wraith had a better chance of securing Atlantis, after all the personel was knocked unconscious, because Atlantis is in Pegasus. After All the SGA personnel is knock unconscious a Hiveship could waltz right in unencumbered. They final capture Atlantis Yeah Hey for them.

Now they focus all their efforst to Earth. They should have secured a beachhead in one of the poorer planets in the Milkyway. Set up an out post. Then relay coordinates of the milky way to the entire Wraith fleet. The result Wraith are in the Pegasus Galaxy and Jack O'neil can now command all SG units to fight them, I know Landry is in command of the SGC but I like O'neil more. hehehe.
                          Do me a favour? Don't let any wraith near your computer. That line of attack makes a lot of sense.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                            merely a scouting & reconnaissance mission, most likely

what I found surprising was the DoD's (over)reaction to the invasion - nuke the whole facility ?? what the hell, these are just wraith, not replicators

MY guess is RECON IN FORCE and as for the DOD wanting to destroy the SGC I would think getting a strike force together to retake the base would have been a better move!

Beside that I thought it was a great episode.

Comment

TPTB wanted to destroy the midway station. They then came up with this lameish ill-concieved way of doing it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X