We are Rangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are Rangers

"We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We do not break away from combat. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We do not retreat whatever the reason. We Live for the one. We Die for the one."

I've always loved that. The rangers have to be the single coolest group in the whole B5 verse. I would go so far as to say that we should all aspire to be like the Rangers.

Last edited by P-90_177; 17 February 2008, 08:34 PM.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
    "We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We do not break away from combat. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We do not retreat whatever the reason. We Live for the one. We Die for the one."

I've always loved that. The rangers have to be the single coolest group in the whole B5 verse. I would go so far as to say that we should all aspire to be like the Rangers.

Its a great motto/mission statement, but it is flawed, the "We do not retreat whatever the reason" is just complete stupidity as is the "We do not break from combat". This is because there are always situations where retreat is the best options otherwise every battle they engage in will be a victory to them or they will be slaughtered to the last man.

There were even situations where they did break and run and retreat in the series.

It is a great ideal but it would be completely unrealistic and down right stupid to follow it literally.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Wolf View Post
      Its a great motto/mission statement, but it is flawed, the "We do not retreat whatever the reason" is just complete stupidity as is the "We do not break from combat". This is because there are always situations where retreat is the best options otherwise every battle they engage in will be a victory to them or they will be slaughtered to the last man.

There were even situations where they did break and run and retreat in the series.

It is a great ideal but it would be completely unrealistic and down right stupid to follow it literally.
      Well i think that's another thing that the 'Legend of the rangers' pilot got wrong to be honest. Until then the only parts of that motto we had heard were 'We live for the one. We die for the one.' and as great as i think it is they did sort of shoot themselves in the foot with it.

Comment

Well i think that's another thing that the 'Legend of the rangers' pilot got wrong to be honest. Until then the only parts of that motto we had heard were 'We live for the one. We die for the one.' and as great as i think it is they did sort of shoot themselves in the foot with it.
        The motto's like a lot of things sounds great evokes the right feeling but doesn't stand up to even casual inspection.
        sigpic

Comment

The motto's like a lot of things sounds great evokes the right feeling but doesn't stand up to even casual inspection.
          Then again the Rangers are more or less a Minbari group based on Minbari ideals. Their warrior cast does have a similar idea. It's just that they're so damned powerful that they've never had their butts kicked to change their viewpoint.

Comment

I love "We live for the One. We die for the One." Apart from that, it mainly reminds me of Lord of the Rings: "You shall not pass!"
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
              I love "We live for the One. We die for the One." Apart from that, it mainly reminds me of Lord of the Rings: "You shall not pass!"
              Well B5 does have a lot of similarities to Lord of the Rings. Even the role of the Rangers themselves are the same as the Rangers from LOTR.

Comment

g'kar did say it best though. We live for the one we Dire for the one, but you don't forget the first part of that. Live for the one.

martel also said, We don't die stupidly.

the rangers go on because they are pure in their intentions. For a million years that symbol endures.

Comment

Well B5 does have a lot of similarities to Lord of the Rings. Even the role of the Rangers themselves are the same as the Rangers from LOTR.
                  Indeed, that's true. Then there's the Z'ha'dum - Khazad-dûm similarity (both with menaces lurking in the deeps), the third age, and indeed, in the whole concept of various races, including former adversaries uniting against a nearly unbeatable enemy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                    Indeed, that's true. Then there's the Z'ha'dum - Khazad-dûm similarity (both with menaces lurking in the deeps), the third age, and indeed, in the whole concept of various races, including former adversaries uniting against a nearly unbeatable enemy.
                    um not to nitpick but you just described just about every major story.

As for Z'ha'dum is more like Mordor with an Evil eyes searching for the lost chaos. Though it is underground with random evil buried there.

Comment

I don't think its flawed out right but rather different from our world view.
                      Which is more about life than death. This isn't saying this is a good view but I can see the merit in it and why a culture like the Minbari would embrace it.

Heres my reasoning.
                      1. Characters have flaws they do things for often flawed reasons. Minbari put a lot of talk into doing the right thing for the right reason. To that end if you enter into combat with thought of staying alive you are not focused on winning but rather how to get out. And while staying alive is important is not as important as that purity of purpose(in the Minbari view) Its very spartan in is way.

2. There is also an aspect of holy fury about the rangers. That what makes such powerful warriors is that they are willing to go all out even if it cost them there lives. Because there mission is there cause and doing it makes forces of the light. And coming from and origin that is literally from a conflict between darkness and light. It is holy and noble cause of the light in which they fight for and losing to the darkness is unacceptable.

Its also my feeling that if LotR had been made it would have explored that problems of this kind of thinking. And show the strengths of this thinking. Because realistically people spend there whole lives wanting this kind of sense of propose and it wouldn't surprise me if we had more groups like this that people would be join them willing and happily.
                      Last edited by Night Marshal; 21 February 2008, 02:20 AM.
                      "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                        um not to nitpick but you just described just about every major story.

As for Z'ha'dum is more like Mordor with an Evil eyes searching for the lost chaos. Though it is underground with random evil buried there.
                        Yeah, there's something about stories like this that probably have been popular since people first told each other stories around stone hearths in a cave... I'm not saying it's identical, but certainly similar, and the name is not a coincidence.
                        sigpic

Comment

I've always liked it aswell it does have that inspiring quality about it and sounds great. But yea you are right about the never retreat bit of it. But I always like hearing it, any form of it ^_^

Comment

Rangers have a great cause to fight for. Something that we might never find in this life-time.
                            We are born capable of greatness... If we are to be who we are, and what we are; if we are to accomplish great things, then we must learn the heart's most essential rule:

Comment

Working...
                            X