Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 different versions of Stargate SG-1 Box Set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 different versions of Stargate SG-1 Box Set?

Hey guys, I am new here and I tried a forum search for my question and couldn't find it.

In a nutshell, I have found 2 different versions of the SG1 box set.

The official one:

http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-SG-1-.../dp/B000TJBNHQ

And another version that seems to be some sort of bootleg (maybe?)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI:IT&ih=001

I am curious about the non-official version. Does anyone own it? Any differences in the two?

thanks!

Originally posted by jonathanmic View Post
    Any differences in the two?
    One is an official boxset by MGM, and if you buy it new, you're helping to fund further Stargate productions.

The other is an illegal bootleg copy, and if you buy it, you're helping to fund criminal gangs.

I apologise for being blunt, but it's true. And since most Stargate DVD boxsets are usually available at very reasonable prices nowadays (especially if they're at least a few years old), there is no excuse for buying bootleg copies.
    Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
      One is an official boxset by MGM, and if you buy it new, you're helping to fund further Stargate productions.

The other is an illegal bootleg copy, and if you buy it, you're helping to fund criminal gangs.

I apologise for being blunt, but it's true. And since most Stargate DVD boxsets are usually available at very reasonable prices nowadays (especially if they're at least a few years old), there is no excuse for buying bootleg copies.

Makes sense.

No need to apologize for being blunt. There is a shortage of straight forward people in the world.

I am still curious about the differences. If someone owns it please let us know.

Comment

My favorite part is that they used the Atlantis gate for their SG-1 Box Set. haha

(I registered just to post that. )

Comment

In response to that first question. I have the "bootleg version". I didn't even realize that it was illegal until I read this forum. Here's my story.

I tried FOREVER to buy the 10 disk set. Nobody carried it. I tried every store I could think off in about three different towns. In the end I decided too buy the set off of eBay. I found a reasonably priced set and forked over quite a bit of money too buy it. I just assumed that the cover was just another version of the set. I did some reasearch online and could not find any information on this different cover. The disks arrived, properly wrapped and sealed. It looked amazing. The main thing that set off my "alarms" is that every disk has an image of a character from season 10. You would think that each season would have it's own images. Also, 1 disk in Season 1 is improperly numbered. With those two differences, I did more searching and still couldnt find anything. I just figured it was a manufacturer problem and some cheap disk designing. It wasn't until last night, when I finally found this forum thread that I found out that I had the wrong version. I feel terrible. I'm a HUGE stargate fan and would happily rebuy the correct set if I had the cash. I don't, however if that changes, I will do what I can too support the SG-1 series.
          Anyway before you all judge me...that's how I ended up owning this version. In answer too your question, in addition too the problems mentioned above, the only other difference I can see so far is
          1) Episode 14 and 15 are switched on the disk, (15 is listed as 14)
          2) A couple of minor audio problems in 1 episode and a skip in another.

I haven't watched any of the special features or anything like that so I can't comment on that yet.

Comment

Should the bootleg ones be reported? I see that on the OP's link, the item has been removed but doing a search on Ebay UK, I've found 6 other ones on one page alone! Should these be reported to Ebay for removal?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
              Should the bootleg ones be reported? I see that on the OP's link, the item has been removed but doing a search on Ebay UK, I've found 6 other ones on one page alone! Should these be reported to Ebay for removal?
              ABSOLUTELY!!! You absolutely should, they are making money off of the show and the franchise isn't. If the franchise didn't make money, they wouldn't produce anything. And to be honest, the franchise needs all the help and profits it can get. Besides, you don't know what kind of person it could be on the other end who is doing those bootlegs.
              Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
              Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla View Post
                ABSOLUTELY!!! You absolutely should, they are making money off of the show and the franchise isn't. If the franchise didn't make money, they wouldn't produce anything. And to be honest, the franchise needs all the help and profits it can get. Besides, you don't know what kind of person it could be on the other end who is doing those bootlegs.
                Exactly, I always buy the box sets and dvd movies, even though I watched AoT online I'm still going to buy it and bootleggers are just ripping off all of us honest fans.
                Best quotes ever:
                O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                Thor:I like the yellow ones
                O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciyean View Post
                  It wasn't until last night, when I finally found this forum thread that I found out that I had the wrong version. I feel terrible. I'm a HUGE stargate fan and would happily rebuy the correct set if I had the cash. I don't, however if that changes, I will do what I can too support the SG-1 series.
                  Anyway before you all judge me...that's how I ended up owning this version.
                  I feel bad for you, man. Talk about getting screwed.
                  Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

ok i know i am necroing this thread but i have to know is this the real 10 disc box set or a bootleg? could i get an answer quickly please as time is of the essence!!

Stargate SG-1 - The Complete Series
                    http://images.cdn.mightyape.net/86841277.jpeg
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 10 March 2013, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Massacher View Post
                      ok i know i am necroing this thread but i have to know is this the real 10 disc box set or a bootleg? could i get an answer quickly please as time is of the essence!!

Stargate SG-1 - The Complete Series
                      http://images.cdn.mightyape.net/86841277.jpeg
                      No it is not the real one.

Comment

Wow. I just read this forum and realized that I too have the non-MGM version. My wife bought it for me years ago and we've watched it many times. One of the disks became scratched and I started looking for a replacement. That's when I realized that it looks way different.
                        The funny thing is, I took it with me when I went and watched The Merchant Of Venice at the Cedar City Shakespearean Festival. Tony Amendola (Master Bra'tek) was in it, and after the play I was able to get him to sign it! So, sad story; I got the Bootleg version signed by Tony Amendola!

Comment

Working...
                        X