The sturdiness of the human body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sturdiness of the human body

This episode was amazing and surprising for me, because I really had no idea that the human body can be so resistant when falling on the ground from such heights.

Out of 5 falls (1 McKay , 1 Keller, 3 Samantha) , only one resulted in a broken leg.

The characters in SGA are supposed to be normal human beings. So, why did the plot need to be so exaggerated ? I find it ridiculous that none of the three got a broken back bone when they first fell in that hole.

Apart from this, I have truly disliked the fact that those kids were so mean and selfish that they simply left alone three people who were in trouble , refusing to bring any help. The scenes with the kids were a waste of time .
    Last edited by HyperspaceDaemon; 14 February 2008, 04:32 AM.

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon View Post
    This episode was amazing and surprising for me, because I really had no idea that the human body can be so resistant when falling on the ground from such heights.

Out of 5 falls (1 McKay , 1 Keller, 3 Samantha) , only one resulted in a broken leg.
    Let me tell you something about the sturdiness of the human body: we're a great deal tougher than we seem. I speak from experience as I work in factory that has come thiiiiiiiis close to breaking a bone in my ever-precious body. I've had fractured bones, been electrocuted, ripped-out my index fingernail, and nearly severed an artery in two. But no broken bones yet. So I can speak with a great deal of authority when I say that we're a good bit tougher than we seem

As for that initial fall, it would appear that their backpacks broke the majority of the fall and absorbed the impact. Same with the crates that McKay took out on his way down.

As for Carter's second fall, any broken bones depend entirely on how she fell on her feet. If you watch it you'll see that she landed feet first and then flopped around. If she landed straight up and down, the bone is at its strongest and can absorb the most impact (which is what appears happened).

On fall 3 she probably hit the floor at an angle and the stress was just too much. *snap*
    sigpic
    http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

I had a friend who worked as a doctor for the armed forces in Guam for four years and she always said it was amazing how hard it was to kill a human being.

Because, by the time they (the locals) got to her, they were either on death's door or had been "treated" by a local practitioner.

Comment

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon View Post

The characters in SGA are supposed to be normal human beings. So, why did the plot need to be so exaggerated ? I find it ridiculous that none of the three got a broken back bone when they first fell in that hole.

Apart from this, I have truly disliked the fact that those kids were so mean and selfish that they simply left alone three people who were in trouble , refusing to bring any help. The scenes with the kids were a waste of time .
        Okay, the answer we're really looking for is that it's a TV show. The human body always takes more punishment than it actually could in TV.

The funny thing about falls is that strange things happen and it all depends on how the person falls, lands, what they land on, etc. Anyone remember that window washer who fell from 400 feet just recently and survived? People survive insane skydiving accidents.
        I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I found it odd that McKay fell in the hole then both Carter and Keller fell in after him but neither landed on top of him. That would have been funny as hell if McKay fell in and then seconds later got landed on by one of the girls

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
            As for that initial fall, it would appear that their backpacks broke the majority of the fall and absorbed the impact. Same with the crates that McKay took out on his way down.
            From personal experience i can attest to this.. Backpacks do absorb some of the damage..

Comment

If you don't think the human body can take that much damage you should check out some behind-the-scenes stuff on a lot of action movies. Espescially Tony Jaa or Jackie Chan. I'm not saying the average person can land a 20 ft fall without breaking anything, I'm just saying it's not nearly as impossible as it may seem.
              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Some professional wrestlers take falls from those kinds of heights all the time as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                  I found it odd that McKay fell in the hole then both Carter and Keller fell in after him but neither landed on top of him. That would have been funny as hell if McKay fell in and then seconds later got landed on by one of the girls
                  But Rodney did end up getting smooshed by Keller, if you look at how they were laying on him after the credits
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                    Some professional wrestlers take falls from those kinds of heights all the time as well.
                    This is true. And the things that they fall onto aren't really that cushy. Of course, their falls are usually carefully choreographed and they're trained to know how to fall.

Comment

That they are. It wouldn't be a stretch the believe that Carter has gotten some kind of training on how to take a fall sometime in her military career.

Comment

And it'd be a smart idea to give that sort of training to anyone who regularly goes off-world.

Comment

Much like how McKay was given weapon's training before he could go offworld.
                          sigpic

Comment

He may have, for all we know.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                              But Rodney did end up getting smooshed by Keller, if you look at how they were laying on him after the credits
                              She may have partially landed on him but im talking about completely landing on him. That would have been funny to see, not only McKay's reaction as Keller was falling but also his reaction about having a beautiful woman on top of him

Comment

Working...
                              X