Dragon Con??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragon Con??

Has anyone ever been to DragonCon?? or plan to go?

I'm from Atlanta, and I was just wondering if anyone knows what it's like or anything like that!

Thanks in advance!
    Somewhere weakness is our strength,
    And I'll die searching for it.

I went last year (my first year) and I had a blast! I plan to go this year! What is Dragon*Con like? My! It really hard to explain...maybe complete good craziness!
    SPANKY

Comment

i've had friend that went last year too, but I think Im gonna go this year since it's close to home and all.
      But i was just wondering what I am getting myself into..lol

Comment

I'm thinking about it but the distance from home is a problem. I usually stay with in the 4 state area of maryland. But Dragoncon would be a great con to branch out. The only problem I would have is money because I am already going to shore leave 30. So I am thinking about it.

Comment

Dragoncon is fantastic, about 30,000 of your nearest and dearest friends and a 4 day party.

It has a HUGE Stargate Contingent every year, last year they had Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, Jason Mamoa, Paul McGillian, Claudia Black, Lexa Doig, Corin Nemic, Alexis Cruz, and others (I just woke up so I'm sure I'm missing somebody). There are also alot of fan hosted panels and parties and all around good times. You have no excuse to miss it if you live in Atlanta, I make the trip from Kansas City every year!
          It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by Lilandra View Post
            Has anyone ever been to DragonCon?? or plan to go?

I'm from Atlanta, and I was just wondering if anyone knows what it's like or anything like that!

Thanks in advance!
            Stargate Atlanta is based of course in that area. They will have a fan table and info for events that they will be hosting. Be sure to check it out in the Marriott. DC is huge so be careful as it will be very crowded!
            Mistress of House Koloth
            FTX Coordinator SGA

www.stargateatlantaftxlarp.com

Comment

Wow. Last year had quite an amazing lineup. To have five main characters at one function is great and something that is rarely seen. Since this event also has non Stargate guests, how long do the stargate guests talk for, do they take pictures with people, and are there autograph sessions? Sorry for asking so many questions. Oh, how far in advance do the stargate actors usually accept invitations?

Comment

Originally posted by sabrina_lane03 View Post
                Wow. Last year had quite an amazing lineup. To have five main characters at one function is great and something that is rarely seen. Since this event also has non Stargate guests, how long do the stargate guests talk for, do they take pictures with people, and are there autograph sessions? Sorry for asking so many questions. Oh, how far in advance do the stargate actors usually accept invitations?

Stargate guest talks? Well there was the Stargate MEGA Panels; which they have for the whole weekend. I think those panels lasted about 1 hour or so. I can't remember exact length.I only been to one of them because I couldn't take the EPIC lines. One was enough for me. lol I believe that they did individual panels but I only know of Paul McGillion (Dr. Carson Beckett).

Pictures with the fans? Yes, they do but it can cost you some money but it depends on that particular person. Example: I got autograph and photo-op (with my camera) with Jason Momoa. That cost me $50 bucks. While as I got an autograph and photo-op (with my camera) with Alexis Cruz for $20 bucks. So *shrugs*

As far as, in advance Stargate actors accept invitations? I don't know but I guess it really depends on their schedules.

I hope that help you!
                SPANKY

Comment

Hi. You mentioned "epic lines" With another company I have waited around 3 hours for autographs but the actors signed everyones' stuff. Is everyone who is in a line guaranteed an autograph and space in the room where the panel is taking place? Also, when you say epic just how long is epic? I am assuming that since there are long lines to get in the rooms there are not assigned seats. Is that a correct assumption?

Comment

Originally posted by sabrina_lane03 View Post
                    Hi. You mentioned "epic lines" With another company I have waited around 3 hours for autographs but the actors signed everyones' stuff. Is everyone who is in a line guaranteed an autograph and space in the room where the panel is taking place? Also, when you say epic just how long is epic? I am assuming that since there are long lines to get in the rooms there are not assigned seats. Is that a correct assumption?
                    What I meant about Epic lines is for the Mega panels. Those lines went out as far as outdoors and beyond. The autographs line were not so bad. I believe you guaranteed an autograph as long you stay in line. The staff who were running the autograph lines have pretty decent system of getting people in and out.
                    SPANKY

Comment

That is a shame about the epic lines. I am guessing that not everyone who is in a line gets a seat to watch the panel or is this one of those events where people pick up ahead of time an admission ticket and everyone who gets a ticket gets in so the line is really just formed because people want to get a seat in one of the first few rows?

Comment

I go to this event every year (bar last year, since I was double booked), and it's wonderful. I often have several different panels that I want to attend at the same time as there as so many different shows it covers.

I can't really comment on the autographs too much, as I only got them one year. I paid $20 for the Frascape girls autos, but decided to not spend the same amount again on a photo, as I know if they every appear in the UK I can get them for free, or much cheaper. I did pay $5 for a photo with Tricia Helfer, which I think is extremely good value, and she was giving all the money to charity, so would have happily paid more for hers anyway.

As for the epic lines for the talks… well, it all depends who you want to see. The smaller panels, with only a few guests will normally not have too much of a line, and are in a much smaller room anyway and it doesn't really matter where you sit. First time guests or huge panels will draw quite a crowd though. For example the Firefly panels used to be insane every year. The talks were in the largest rooms, so as long as you didn't mind being in the back or watching on the big screen, getting there too early didn't really matter. However if you want good seats, like I did you do sometimes have to queue. For the one Firefly panel I attended in 2006, I started queuing at 11am for a 1pm panel. By that time the queue had already gone all the way around the corridor, up the couple of flights of stairs and outside into the horrid Atlanta heat. Luckily I was only just outside and thus got some shade! It was around the building by the time the talk started though.

I'm not telling you this to scare you, just letting you know what you may be in for if you want to see a really popular panel. The best bet if you want to make sure you get a good spot is to forgot the talk before the one you want to see and start queuing then. Of course, not all panels are that busy, it just depends on what the 'it' show is in any particular year.

http://abby-i.livejournal.com/241635.html
                        http://abby-i.net/ljmisc/dragoncon06.html <--- These are a copy of my planned schedules for 2005 & 2006 (bolded was what I preferred to see when events clashed). I create one every year before I go, and though I don't always stick to it, it gives me a good starting point to my plans. I hope they provide a little bit of insight of what sort of things you can do!
                        Abby-I.net

Comment

Originally posted by abby_i View Post
                          I go to this event every year (bar last year, since I was double booked), and it's wonderful. I often have several different panels that I want to attend at the same time as there as so many different shows it covers.

I can't really comment on the autographs too much, as I only got them one year. I paid $20 for the Frascape girls autos, but decided to not spend the same amount again on a photo, as I know if they every appear in the UK I can get them for free, or much cheaper. I did pay $5 for a photo with Tricia Helfer, which I think is extremely good value, and she was giving all the money to charity, so would have happily paid more for hers anyway.

As for the epic lines for the talks… well, it all depends who you want to see. The smaller panels, with only a few guests will normally not have too much of a line, and are in a much smaller room anyway and it doesn't really matter where you sit. First time guests or huge panels will draw quite a crowd though. For example the Firefly panels used to be insane every year. The talks were in the largest rooms, so as long as you didn't mind being in the back or watching on the big screen, getting there too early didn't really matter. However if you want good seats, like I did you do sometimes have to queue. For the one Firefly panel I attended in 2006, I started queuing at 11am for a 1pm panel. By that time the queue had already gone all the way around the corridor, up the couple of flights of stairs and outside into the horrid Atlanta heat. Luckily I was only just outside and thus got some shade! It was around the building by the time the talk started though.

I'm not telling you this to scare you, just letting you know what you may be in for if you want to see a really popular panel. The best bet if you want to make sure you get a good spot is to forgot the talk before the one you want to see and start queuing then. Of course, not all panels are that busy, it just depends on what the 'it' show is in any particular year.

http://abby-i.livejournal.com/241635.html
                          http://abby-i.net/ljmisc/dragoncon06.html <--- These are a copy of my planned schedules for 2005 & 2006 (bolded was what I preferred to see when events clashed). I create one every year before I go, and though I don't always stick to it, it gives me a good starting point to my plans. I hope they provide a little bit of insight of what sort of things you can do!
                          thank you for the insight!!! i will have to remember this when the time comes closer!!

and if anyone ever needs any info on Atlanta let me know, ive been here my whole life and i really know the city!!

Comment

This year will be my third D*Con--I'm hooked.
                            Dr. Orpheus: "But Hank, no...Hank is quite upset! Rage, I can hear his rage! He calls you a crumb bum....or maybe a crampon. It's hard to hear him." - Venture Bros., 2x01 Powerless in the Face of Death

Comment

even thou i live in Atlanta, I just booked my hotel for DC!!

I'm excited!

Comment

Working...
                              X