Season 4! Great season for character development and Background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 4! Great season for character development and Background

I think this season overall has been great, and I think they took the time to really explore the characters and their backgrounds. We know more about them, where they came from, and how they have changed since the beginning of the series.

Your Thoughts?
    Last edited by Briangate78; 13 February 2008, 03:40 PM. Reason: added a word.
    sigpic

I agree however that's probably also the reason why some guys don't like s4 as much as others. there haven't been as many team eps as there used to be and I think a lot of people miss those. anyway I think eps like Reunion, Missing, MC, SoW and Outcast have some very nice character developments
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
      I agree however that's probably also the reason why some guys don't like s4 as much as others. there haven't been as many team eps as there used to be and I think a lot of people miss those. anyway I think eps like Reunion, Missing, MC, SoW and Outcast have some very nice character developments
      I do miss the team eps, but I appreciate how they concentrated on a duo or trio for a lot of eps this season. Yes, we like to see the action/drama thrillers but it would get old fast if every episode was like a "BAMSR".

Spoiler:
      I think when Carson returns, there is going to be some powerful moments between the team members, Carson: What took you so long?.....que the music....! Right now the team thinks Carson and Elizabeth are both dead.
      sigpic

Comment

Yes, this has been a great season for character development!!

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
        O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          I do miss the team eps, but I appreciate how they concentrated on a duo or trio for a lot of eps this season. Yes, we like to see the action/drama thrillers but it would get old fast if every episode was like a "BAMSR".
          no of course every ep can't be like BAMSR, that would be...well it would be awesome! but yes we need eps with another focus too. s4 has been different than previous seasons but I still like it very much

Spoiler:
          I think when Carson returns, there is going to be some powerful moments between the team members, Carson: What took you so long?.....que the music....! Right now the team thinks Carson and Elizabeth are both dead.
          ugh dude I can't wait to see that ep
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I agree. Other seasons always have like one or two eps to develop one character a little bit, but not like this. Season 4 has given everybody something to do, and seeing less and less of Sheppard and McKay should be pleasing the crazy ones who think Atlantis became the Sheppard and Mckay show.

I'm especially happy we got a Teyla arc. About time! says this viewer.
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
              I agree. Other seasons always have like one or two eps to develop one character a little bit, but not like this. Season 4 has given everybody something to do, and seeing less and less of Sheppard and McKay should be pleasing the crazy ones who think Atlantis became the Sheppard and Mckay show.

You said the T word. We can expect a visit from FH.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

I agree, this season has been relatively superb as the franchise goes for giving us some meaty character development to sink our teeth into. While it's been far from perfect, it's been spot-on in certain key elements, and I'd say that sans a few glaring shortcomings and some mediocre episodes, it's done its job right-good.
                If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post

What?! It's not all about Shep????

Kidding!

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                  O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

I think this season overall has been great, and I think they took the time to really explore the characters and their backgrounds. We know more about them, where they came from, and how they have changed since the beginning of the series.

Your Thoughts?
                    Now dont hate on me Brian, but....

The only thing I learnt that i didnt already know was that shep has a brother.

I havent learnt anything new about Mckay,Ronan,Teyla,Lorne,etc.

let me clarify,

I think theres been more solidifying of what we already new. Such as Rodney loves Jeanie but is crap at showing it. Shep can be distracted by women in leather and so on....

Now I know someone is gonna hit me up with a list, but alot of what I saw this season was just as I said re-inforcing what I already instinctively new.

for example Outcast gave me Sheps brother, we were made aware previousley that shep had been married (cant remeber the ep) but I already new Ronan would be there for his team and that eating with a knife and fork is just, so not done.

Teylas pregnancy im not counting as that was out of the writters hands.

I do get what your saying there has been some more individual growth, but I see it more as showing us what was already there. I dont think its been any more or less than previous seasons.

Im not saying that its a bad thing just, i think the growth theyve showed could have been done without having to pair off charcters. I also understand that Teylas lack of appearence is not the writters fault. I think though that it would have been nice to have planned better around this.

remember no throwing tomatoes at me, im a lover not a fighter
                    sigpic
                    banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

It has been the worst season ever. But don't worry, S5 will be even worse
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post

let me clarify,

I think theres been more solidifying of what we already new. Such as Rodney loves Jeanie but is crap at showing it. Shep can be distracted by women in leather and so on....

Now I know someone is gonna hit me up with a list, but alot of what I saw this season was just as I said re-inforcing what I already instinctively new.

for example Outcast gave me Sheps brother, we were made aware previousley that shep had been married (cant remeber the ep) but I already new Ronan would be there for his team and that eating with a knife and fork is just, so not done.

I do get what your saying there has been some more individual growth, but I see it more as showing us what was already there. I dont think its been any more or less than previous seasons.

Im not saying that its a bad thing just, i think the growth theyve showed could have been done without having to pair off charcters. I also understand that Teylas lack of appearence is not the writters fault. I think though that it would have been nice to have planned better around this.

I don't entirely agree with you there. However, regarding the things they have shown us that we have inferred, I'm glad they have shown us! There is a world of difference between knowing a character has most likely grown over the years and having it shown on screen. Rodney's character often seems to have learned little, but seeing him stand by his teammates and not leave them is an important change to note. So too is Ronon's emotional growth and his attatchment to Atlantis and co.

I can infer that the characters have grown and changed on my own, yes, but recognising it on screen means that the characters (and story arcs) can move onwards from that point. I think that's a good thing.
                        sigpic
                        My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                          It has been the worst season ever. But don't worry, S5 will be even worse
                          Indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Lauriel View Post
                            I don't entirely agree with you there. However, regarding the things they have shown us that we have inferred, I'm glad they have shown us! There is a world of difference between knowing a character has most likely grown over the years and having it shown on screen. Rodney's character often seems to have learned little, but seeing him stand by his teammates and not leave them is an important change to note. So too is Ronon's emotional growth and his attatchment to Atlantis and co.

I can infer that the characters have grown and changed on my own, yes, but recognising it on screen means that the characters (and story arcs) can move onwards from that point. I think that's a good thing.
                            I havent ever felt that Rodney would leave his team mates behind. in fact he offered to go with Koyla the man who tortured him to try and free his team mates in one ep. I dont see a change in his behaviour regarding this at all.

As I said im not saying that its a bad thing, just me perception of growth is different than yours.
                            sigpic
                            banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post

let me clarify,

I don't hate you for having an opinion.

I do respectively disagree, I felt the characters truly fed off eachother and we got an idea how each of them feels for another. The powerful moments with Weir dying was enough to win me over this season. I sorta wish she had just died and there was no 30 secs after "BAMSR".

I think we got an idea of how Teyla is one tough cookie, but even she knows her limits. I think Teyla is going to get some nice development in the last few eps this season.

Rodney has grown the most imo. I am watching Season 1 and 2 now which has been on SCI FI @ 5pm. Rodney used to be so full of himself and would never admit he was wrong. Now he is more like well I think I can do it, but am not 100 percent on it. Compare the eps "Trinity" to "BAMSR" it's a different Rodney. We also learned that he is not emotionally ready for marriage or a comitment.

There is more on the other characters as well. But you get the idea.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X