TV SG1 - Inside TV: : MENSA Chair Picks The 10 Smartest TV Shows Of All Times

From Inside TV:

http://thebiz.fancast.com/2008/02/ex..._picks_th.html

(Please follow the link for the complete article. Stargate SG-1 is mentioned, but didn't make the top ten list.)

Exclusive: MENSA Chair Picks The 10 Smartest TV Shows Of All Time

With television writers – presumably the brains of the whole operation – going back to work after their four-month strike, it seemed like the perfect question to ask: What are the smartest TV series of all time? Star Trek? Hill St. Blues? Taxi? West Wing? Boy Meets World?

Fancast posed the question to Jim Werdell, Chairman of MENSA International, the worldwide organization for “people from every walk of life whose IQ is in the top 2 % of the population.” In addition to a soaring intellect, the 63-year-old retired Northern California government official enjoys his TV. Werdell keeps his set on as he tackles daily MENSA duties on his computer, estimating that time about 10 hours of background listening. “I’m actually watching and paying attention about five to six hours a day,” he says.

**snippage**

Werdell says the smartest shows he currently watches include CSI: New York, Law & Order: SVU, House, Stargate SG-1, NCIS and Numb3rs. But for the ultimate list of Smartest All Time shows, he ventured beyond his personal viewing habits. As he says, “I was a Star Trek fan. It was on the original list. It was groundbreaking, no question. But the follow-up, Next Generation, were better programs than the original, in my opinion, and smarter.”

**snippage**

His criteria?

“They weren’t pure comedy, mystery or action,” he says. “They tended to be shows that dealt with issues in the world, and from my perspective that’s considered smart. Some sitcoms reach a higher level of intellect than others, and you can say the same about some of the dramas. The stories may be cliché, but the characters and dialogue are smarter.”

**snippage**

Top ten smartest shows of all time (in no particular order):

1. M*A*S*H
    2. Cosmos (with Carl Sagan)
    3. CSI
    4. House
    5. West Wing
    6. Boston Legal
    7. All in the Family
    8. Frasier
    9. Mad About You
    10. Jeopardy

Posted on February 13, 2008 11:19 AM | Permalink
    Last edited by morjana; February 13th, 2008 at 06:08 PM.

Default Re: SG1 - Inside TV: : MENSA Chair Picks The 10 Smartest TV Shows Of All Times

Mad About You? Really??

Thanks for the article, Morjana.

Default Re: SG1 - Inside TV: : MENSA Chair Picks The 10 Smartest TV Shows Of All Times

... Mad About You?

A fine show, but ... smart?

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

no BSG

Isn't Jeopardy a game show? How's that work? Or am I confusing it with something else?

And CSI?

Quote Originally Posted by Naonak View Post
    Isn't Jeopardy a game show? How's that work? Or am I confusing it with something else?

And CSI?
    Yes, it's a gameshow. Why wouldn't that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Naonak View Post

And CSI?
    Yeah that makes no sense.

"West Wing" at number 5? A good cure for insomnia. Of course, my 140 IQ is probably nothing compared to Mr. Werdell's, so what do I know?
    Last edited by Martin Ingham; February 24th, 2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Corrected typos.