Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why always shields why not a counter measure (possible some sort of distortion field) that destabilizes the beam causing it to disipate significantly making projectile weapons and drones the weapons of choice
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
      Yes, it matter tremedously. For one, it means there structure around it to hold it together despite the hole. A smaller ship might simply crack in half. It also means it has tons of space for system redundancy so that if you do take severe damage you can still operate. Now of course, the writers will probably make it so the beam causes a chain of explosions, which is so unrealistic but so commonly used.
      It's not that unrealistic especially if it causes secondary explosions by hitting a fuel center or a dart bay. In No Man's Land Daedalus was able to cause serious damage to a hive with its rail guns by targeting an open dart bay.

You're right about the size and redundancy, and if a hive isn't destroyed right away it can regenerate. That could be another way to deal with beam weapons, speed up the ship's ability to heal combined with a stronger hull material.

Comment

Originally posted by ColCaldwell View Post
        With the beam weapons, the Hives would go BOOM quickly.
        Over 60 hives.

Daedy and Apollo need a lot of friends. Best case scenario, the Oddy would last the longest (zpm, asgard core, etc) - but there is simply too many for our 3 only 304s to do any real substantial damage to before being destroyed.

They would need to add the city ship to the fight to make any real difference.
        : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
        : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by kefke20 View Post
          it won’t, it’s to big to massive to be taken out in 1 ore 2 hits.

it’s the same size off a super star destroyer.
          And at blank point range a hive can also take down tau`ri shields in a dozen shots (see no mans land)
          If you didnt notice it took out ori and asuran ships without breaking a sweat i highly doubt they will struggle to take out wraith ships

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by True!Ancient View Post
            If you didnt notice it took out ori and asuran ships without breaking a sweat i highly doubt they will struggle to take out wraith ships
            Without breaking a sweat? It took a few hits, plus you're comparing that to a ship that is 10 times larger! 10 times! 11 kilometers! The Deady is around 600m, an Aurora about 1km, and an Ori ship anywhere between 1.5km to 3-4km+(depending on which scalings you use). A hive dwarfs them all! That much mass with armor designed to take hits since they don't have shields will not be taken out in a few beam hits.

Comment

Since when has size matterd in the SG universe? a puddle jumper took down a hatak easily and its around the same size as a death glider

Comment

There ships are puny comparing to the wraith

It all about mater, how bigger it is how more mater it got so you need a lot more power to evaporate al that mater.

The asuran aurora class ships are some ware between 1.1 and 1.4 km (look it up in tech treads if you wises) and quit thin 200m to 400m of so

Ori ships are maybe bigger than that but they are just 2 circles welded together. + the rings (hull) are probably not even armored because the people how build it are relative Dum and they got some impressive shielding, so do not need the armor.

The wraith hive ships are 11km long and massif like hell they don’t even care if you blow up a km of 2, they just say additional power to hull regeneration ore watt ever.
                Last edited by kefke20; 15 February 2008, 12:34 PM.
                sorry cant spell

Comment

When did a Wraith Hive take out an Ori ship, you don't mean in 'The Pegasus Project' as the hive didn't destory the ori ship, the supergate whoosh destroyed the ori ship.
                  sigpicIf The Simpsons ever get on Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by IWKYZerocool View Post
                    When did a Wraith Hive take out an Ori ship, you don't mean in 'The Pegasus Project' as the hive didn't destory the ori ship, the supergate whoosh destroyed the ori ship.
                    i was talking about daedalus,apollo,oddyse

Comment

Since when has size matterd in the SG universe? a puddle jumper took down a hatak easily and its around the same size as a death glider
                      It's relative to the tech level and composition of the thing you're blowing up. It'd be harder to use a bazooka to blow up an adult bull elephant than it would a cute baby elephant. Likewise it would be easier to blow up the bull elephant than a hunk of titanium that's equal size. We've seen a single drone do damage to a Wraith cruiser where as the single drone completely destroyed a hatak.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
                        Yes, it matter tremedously. For one, it means there structure around it to hold it together despite the hole. A smaller ship might simply crack in half. It also means it has tons of space for system redundancy so that if you do take severe damage you can still operate. Now of course, the writers will probably make it so the beam causes a chain of explosions, which is so unrealistic but so commonly used.
                        This is why the Borg were so formidable and unbeatable before they were nerfed. Giant ships with incredible levels of redundancy. You could blow holes right through the ship, but because the power systems (and everything else) were spread out, you wouldn't get chain explosions that could tear the ship apart. And if less than 3/4 of the ship was destroyed it would grow back (eventually).

I imagine that's how Hives would be. Size really does matter a lot in space battles. I haven't been impressed with how *any* show has done space battles, except maybe Andromeda (BSG is laughable, in spite of their claims to the contrary. Just cause it is more realistic than Trek combat-wise doesn't make it realistic. That just makes it less stupid). I like how in Andromeda they purposefully build their ships with collapsible hulls so that weapons just go right through instead of doing cascading damage. Now THAT is realistic. *Grumbles again at the whole poorly portrayed "nukes in space" thing on BSG*

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post

I imagine that's how Hives would be. Size really does matter a lot in space battles. I haven't been impressed with how *any* show has done space battles, except maybe Andromeda (BSG is laughable, in spite of their claims to the contrary. Just cause it is more realistic than Trek combat-wise doesn't make it realistic. That just makes it less stupid). I like how in Andromeda they purposefully build their ships with collapsible hulls so that weapons just go right through instead of doing cascading damage. Now THAT is realistic. *Grumbles again at the whole poorly portrayed "nukes in space" thing on BSG*
                          How did they portray nukes in space on BSG? When you say collapsible do you mean like safety glass where it spiderwebs or has give to it? I haven't watched as much Andromeda, as is evident.

Comment

i was talking about daedalus,apollo,oddyse
                            And when did they destroy an Asuran Aurora in a fair fight without breaking a sweat?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                              And when did they destroy an Asuran Aurora in a fair fight without breaking a sweat?
                              in ep 4.11
                              sorry cant spell

Comment

Fair fight, ambushing ships coming out of hyperspace is not fair, and stealing a kill from a hive is not a valid kill either. People are probably getting tired of me saying this but we have seen nothing that indicates the Asgard plasma beams are extremely effective on Aurora shields, from what we've seen is that it is adequate.

Comment

Working...
                                X