Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Pegasus gates look different to MiklyWay gates?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do Pegasus gates look different to MiklyWay gates?

Why do the Pegasus stargates look more... futuristic than the Milky Way gates? The Ori started presumably in the Pegasus galaxy with the Alterans, and the Pegasus gates are blue, same colour as the Prior's suit/staff etc.

Did the Alterans then come to the Milky Way and make our gates, which have red chevrons and also spin? They look kinda basic and old compared to the Pegasus gates.

... Alterans and Ori started out in the Ori galaxy as far as anyone knows, the Alterans left to go the MW, then LATER to Pegasus so pegasus was the last place they went...
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
      ... Alterans and Ori started out in the Ori galaxy as far as anyone knows, the Alterans left to go the MW, then LATER to Pegasus so pegasus was the last place they went...
      True
      sigpic
      Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

Elizabeth and Rodney talked about it a bit in the pilot. Something along the lines about when they returned to Pegasus galaxy, they were slightly more advanced so they went digital instead of analog. I believe it's mentioned in some commentary as well...
        Ford: I've never seen this much nothing.

Sheppard: And I've never walked so far to see it.

Rodney: You could be my sidekick!

Ronan: Sidekick?

Rodney: Batman and Ronon, has a nice ring to it.

Ronan: You keep eating like that it’ll be Fatman

Comment

Newwe design.

Same thing with cars. 30 years ago they were big, heavy, gass gugglers.

Now they are light, sleek, and dont use gas..

Go Green

Comment

Hell, even the puddle jumpers went through a few evolutions during their time in Pegasus.

Comment

The Milky Way galaxy gates are just retro style

Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning!

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                The Milky Way galaxy gates are just retro style

Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning!
                LOL, the Milky Way gates were made by the Alterans to appeal to the 16-25 black male demographic.

Comment

Originally posted by mrwhite2 View Post
                  Why do the Pegasus stargates look more... futuristic than the Milky Way gates? The Ori started presumably in the Pegasus galaxy with the Alterans, and the Pegasus gates are blue, same colour as the Prior's suit/staff etc.
                  they didn't start in the pegasus. the acients went to pegasus after they went to the milky way. and as for the gates looking different, pegasus doesn't have the same constellations, so the gate symbols are different
                  Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                  sigpic

Comment

When the Ancients came to the Milky Way, they did so 50 million years ago. They went to Pegasus around 5 million years ago, so the Milky Way stargates were very old. It's all really down to them updating or upgrading everything.

sigpic

Comment

Like everyone else has said, the Pegasus gates are MUCH newer than the Milky Way ones; by some 45 million years or so.

I should point out that most other hardware in Pegasus is solid state as well; compare the pre-Lantean designs such as the time machine on P4X-639, the Da'kara outpost, and the Stargate destroyer used by Anubis in Redemption; all of these technologies were of the "rock and stone" variety; movable paddles, large chunky devices, generally with no discernible technology behind them (usually hidden behind removable panels) etc.

Upon going to Atlantis, they found a wealth of technology which was controlled by nice, see-through panels, glowing keypads, etc; the Lantean-era technology. Two very distinct classifications of Ancient technology; one found mostly in Milky Way, and one found mostly in Pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
                        Like everyone else has said, the Pegasus gates are MUCH newer than the Milky Way ones; by some 45 million years or so.

I should point out that most other hardware in Pegasus is solid state as well; compare the pre-Lantean designs such as the time machine on P4X-639, the Da'kara outpost, and the Stargate destroyer used by Anubis in Redemption; all of these technologies were of the "rock and stone" variety; movable paddles, large chunky devices, generally with no discernible technology behind them (usually hidden behind removable panels) etc.

Upon going to Atlantis, they found a wealth of technology which was controlled by nice, see-through panels, glowing keypads, etc; the Lantean-era technology. Two very distinct classifications of Ancient technology; one found mostly in Milky Way, and one found mostly in Pegasus.
                        This is all fine and dandy, except that Ancient technology in PG is no more advanced than that found in the MW galaxy. In fact, if we're talking about scale, then Ancient technology was far more titanic in the MW galaxy than in Pegasus. After all, in the MW, the Alterrans had several city-ships. unlike the 1 they had in Pegasus, and weapons that could wipe out species galaxy-wide, while in Pegasus they lost to the Wraith because they couldn't make such a weapon. And I personaly find the stone look way cooler than the plastic&metal look that Lantean tech has, which is the generic advanced look that is so cliche in sci-fi themes.

Comment

Originally posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
                          This is all fine and dandy, except that Ancient technology in PG is no more advanced than that found in the MW galaxy. In fact, if we're talking about scale, then Ancient technology was far more titanic in the MW galaxy than in Pegasus. After all, in the MW, the Alterrans had several city-ships. unlike the 1 they had in Pegasus, and weapons that could wipe out species galaxy-wide, while in Pegasus they lost to the Wraith because they couldn't make such a weapon. And I personaly find the stone look way cooler than the plastic&metal look that Lantean tech has, which is the generic advanced look that is so cliche in sci-fi themes.
                          Eh? There's only been one confirmed Cityship in the Milkyway; we didn't see the second one until we visited Pegasus (SGA: The Tower).

Plus the technology in Pegasus is MUCH more advanced that the Milkyway stuff; geothermal power stations, the ascension machine from The Tao of Rodney, the EM generator, the time dialation ascension colony, the defense satellites, personal shields, the "portals" and observation satellites from "The Game", project arcturus, the time travel jumper, etc; ALL technology which was developed AFTER the Alterrans became the Lanteans.

Comment

Originally posted by mrwhite2 View Post

Did the Alterans then come to the Milky Way and make our gates, which have red chevrons and also spin? They look kinda basic and old compared to the Pegasus gates.
                            You have it in the wrong order and have gotten ancient history mixed up lol, but welcome to gw. They started off in a far away galaxy, moved away from the ori and went to the mw, when a plague broke out they went to pg, then when they couldn't beat the wraith they went back to mw. I'm sure it's probably been said previously in the thread.
                            Best quotes ever:
                            O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                            Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                            Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                            Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                            Thor:I like the yellow ones
                            O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
                              Eh? There's only been one confirmed Cityship in the Milkyway; we didn't see the second one until we visited Pegasus (SGA: The Tower).
                              They did have the city-ship seen in "The Tower" but in the MW galaxy they had entire fields designed for the landings of city-ships, which show their greater numbers.

Plus the technology in Pegasus is MUCH more advanced that the Milkyway stuff
                              No, it's not. Even Atlantis looks exactly the same today as it did over 5 million years ago when it was still in the Milky Way.

; geothermal power stations,
                              That is nothing incredible. We will be using that slightly more than 100 years from now. Zero point modules, which extract zero-point energy from vacuum is far more impressive as an energy source than that, and the Ancients already had that in the Milky Way galaxy.

the ascension machine from The Tao of Rodney,
                              The Ancients were reasearching ascension in the Ori galaxy over 50 million years ago. In fact, the split between Alterrans and Ori happened because the Alterrans discovered ways to ascend scientifically, while the Ori thought that was blasphemy. What makes you think they didn't have such an ascension machine over 50+ million years ago?

the EM generator
                              We have that now and we're not even a level I civilization yet...

the time dialation ascension colony,
                              The Ancients could use Stargates to make time loop in the MW in a colony 30+ million years ago. That is a time-dilation field too.

the defense satellites,
                              The defense satellite was a particle beam weapon. Very advanced, yes, but not comparable to drone weaponry in terms of technological sophistication, which the Ancients had in the MW galaxy. Remember that particle beam weaponry usually cannot overcome the most advanced shields, while drones will overwhelm any shield. What is more advanced, a weapon that shoots charged particles or one that shoots telepathic lifeforms that store energy and can read the mind of the guy controlling it?

personal shields,
                              The Ancients had shields in the MW galaxy, and a personal shield is just a very small shield. So what's your point? If they could make huge shields in the MW galaxy, then how is making a tiny shield an "improvement" over that?

the "portals" and observation satellites from "The Game",
                              How exacly is an observation satellite advanced? We have that now. Have you seen the pictures taken of Mars by NASA? Those were taken by an observation satellite.

project arcturus,
                              Project Arcturus was a failure. How can you count a failure as an "advancement"?

the time travel jumper, etc;
                              The Ancients could loop time time tens of millions of years ago. However, they forbade experiments with that because they didn't want to mess with causality. Just because Janus was the only one who had the courage to defy the Ancient Council and retake the experiments doesen't mean they couldn't do it much before that.

ALL technology which was developed AFTER the Alterrans became the Lanteans.
                              The Dakara Superweapon developed in the Milky Way pawns anything the Ancient had in the PG. The capacity to seed and destroy life, not only organic, galaxy-wide is the pinnacle of Ancient technology and was developed in the Milky Way and not in Pegasus. This is prima fasce evidence that the Ancients in the MW were at least as advanced as they were in Pegasus, but probably more.
                              Last edited by NoobTau'ri; 18 February 2008, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X