This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Stargate Atlantis lost it's way?

lately i'm beginning to feel like SGA has lost it's way, the show used to be about exploring the Pegasus Galaxy and opposing the Wraith and dealing with some other enemies along the way. It also seems to have lost it's Team focus, and while i understand some the reasons behind this, one could argue the quality of the show has suffered.

Who agress/disagrees?

I think it's better this way. SG-1, espsecially in the early seasons, was too much like 24, Bond movies, and pretty much every other action movie/show in existence. We had four people and 95% of the time, they were the ones who saved the entire world or galaxy. Considering the SGC was supposed to be the best and brightest, a lot of the time, a good number of them came off as being relatively incompetent when set next to the almighty SG-1.

While the early episodes of SGA were very team-centric, they had a steady stream of ensemble characters who contributed and now with the Daedalus and Apollo, cross-species politics, and all kinds of other fun interaction, it seems like a much more well-rounded and realistic show.

Comment

In one of the new episodes where shepherd is on earth was very good. It made me realise the potential of Earth stories for SGA. Earth isn't SG1's territory anymore.

But I was feeling the same as you but I think there is definitely hope for SGA, I think the fact that SG1 the series has finished is a real good thing for Atlantis. They just need a really good new Arc. And Woolsey will bring a fresh new feel to Atlantis, because frankly Weir and Carter just aren't very commanding. Woolsey seems to be capable and familiar with taking the reins.

In terms of special effects. I think they aren't consistent. Sometimes they look terrible. I may be alone but I prefer early SG-1 effects to anything since.
      The dragon in the Quest part 2 was pixelised!

Comment

Originally posted by Giza1928 View Post
        In one of the new episodes where shepherd is on earth was very good. It made me realise the potential of Earth stories for SGA. Earth isn't SG1's territory anymore.

But I was feeling the same as you but I think there is definitely hope for SGA, I think the fact that SG1 the series has finished is a real good thing for Atlantis. They just need a really good new Arc. And Woolsey will bring a fresh new feel to Atlantis, because frankly Weir and Carter just aren't very commanding. Woolsey seems to be capable and familiar with taking the reins.

In terms of special effects. I think they aren't consistent. Sometimes they look terrible. I may be alone but I prefer early SG-1 effects to anything since.
        The dragon in the Quest part 2 was pixelised!
        I agree with everything you said except the episode where shepherd was on earth which i think was called "outcast". I thought that episode was bland and uninteresting. I'm interested to see how the Woolsey factor will alter things in Atlantis, and yes that dragon in the quest Part 2 was very dodgy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buck32 View Post
          lately i'm beginning to feel like SGA has lost it's way, the show used to be about exploring the Pegasus Galaxy and opposing the Wraith and dealing with some other enemies along the way...
          Used to. Shows grow and change over time, it's a fact of life. The premise of the show is exploring Pegasus and generally keeping humanity on top of the food chain wherever possible, which is still the main idea of the show. Growth beyond initial plotlines and arcs should be expected and encouraged, not rejected as betraying the core ideals of the show.
          Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
          Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
          Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
          - Serenity

Comment

Originally posted by Mefusta View Post
            Used to. Shows grow and change over time, it's a fact of life. The premise of the show is exploring Pegasus and generally keeping humanity on top of the food chain wherever possible, which is still the main idea of the show. Growth beyond initial plotlines and arcs should be expected and encouraged, not rejected as betraying the core ideals of the show.
            I hear ya and i agree shows so need to evolve and change, who wants to see the same thing week after week, maybe i,m just not happy about what the show is evolving into, Season 5 should hopefully improve matters.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHundredaire View Post
              While the early episodes of SGA were very team-centric, they had a steady stream of ensemble characters who contributed and now with the Daedalus and Apollo, cross-species politics, and all kinds of other fun interaction, it seems like a much more well-rounded and realistic show.
              Its turning more into Star Trek, with a wide variety of plots and themes. And a lot more relationships.
              "You don't know half of it".
              Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
              (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by Buck32
                Has Stargate Atlantis lost it's way?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lately i'm beginning to feel like SGA has lost it's way, the show used to be about exploring the Pegasus Galaxy and opposing the Wraith and dealing with some other enemies along the way. It also seems to have lost it's Team focus, and while i understand some the reasons behind this, one could argue the quality of the show has suffered.

Who agress/disagrees?
                I think the premise of the show changed once we re-joined up with Earth. I think thats when the changes started, the lack of isolation lost something for me.

GodAtum
                Its turning more into Star Trek, with a wide variety of plots and themes. And a lot more relationships.
                I havent watched that much star trek mainly voyager. I have to say the addition of so much romantic involvement is really boring to me. a few minitues here and there I can cope with its the entire eps wrapped around the flirting/romance that puts me off.

Its going in a different direction from when it started. unfortunatley that is to be expected. the question really is wether you wish to stay along for the ride?
                sigpic
                banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
                  I think the premise of the show changed once we re-joined up with Earth. I think thats when the changes started, the lack of isolation lost something for me.

I havent watched that much star trek mainly voyager. I have to say the addition of so much romantic involvement is really boring to me. a few minitues here and there I can cope with its the entire eps wrapped around the flirting/romance that puts me off.

Its going in a different direction from when it started. unfortunatley that is to be expected. the question really is wether you wish to stay along for the ride?
                  I think you're spot on, the isolation from Earth really spiced it up for me too, it just made things seem more dangerous and intense. Personally i find the eps where they go back to Earth a little Dull, like Outcast for example.

Don't get me wrong i'm still along for the ride and i hope it get's better, just not the original ride that i initially signed up for.

Maybe it's beause i'm such a huge Voyager fan that i really loved that aspect of being cut off from Earth.

Comment

Ultimately, though, that isolation HAD to come to an end unless they wanted to strain credibility. How many bullets and rockets do you think they packed? How long can one set of naquadah generators run the city? How long would they have necessary medications for personnel who require regular static doses? They find all kinds of local native alternatives, but I doubt they'd find heart medications or anything psychopharmacological floating around in the Pegasus Galaxy...

Comment

i personally like sg1's earlier years... it was great, go through the gate and have a different issue every week with the whole team. everyone likes to see their favorites.

i have felt the last 3 episodes of atlantis have let me down... just the fact they havent contained the full team is a reall dissapointment. ronan + teyla have gone awol
                      Last edited by josh; 13 February 2008, 04:33 PM.

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever
                      to the blinder critics and philosophisers of today, but the core of science fiction,
                      its essence has become crutial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Kind of combining what I read in both threads here but has the show changed: yes....lost it's way? I don't think so. There really was no way to just have the show exist in it's own vaccum forever, especially with sg1 gone now. The previously mentioned supplies issue alone really would stretch the limits at some point.

Personally I enjoy the relationship building, not to mention the earth episodes because I think they add some variety to the show. I found the outcast episode very enjoyable, the show can't always be about the replicators or wraith about to blow up atlantis....again that just gets old. Honestly I got tired of the end of the world threat that seemed to go on almost weekly.

Like many have said it's just a matter of if you like the direction the show is going or not. It's not that they lost their way, i'm sure the show is going how they planned it too for the most part, it's just that it's going differently than you might have expected. I can see both sides to the argument, but I think the show is still well worth watching and I love seeing what happens each week.

Comment

The early years of SG-1 were great. The best ever! And Atlantis...the first 2 were great. Atlantis, Season 1 was amazing...everyone depended on each other, but it would be a little hard to see and believe, how much amo they brought. I think in someways SGA has lost it ways, they took off Carson and Elizabeth. Elizabeth was my favorite character, but not only that...I think that they really messed up by bringing Sam onto it. Don't get me wrong, I love Sam/Amanda...but it was almost like they were trying to combine the two shows. I loved 'Trio', but to be honest that was the only show that I felt like I really wanted to watch again.
                          sigpic

Comment

I love the show, been a fan of SG-1 since the beginning, as the same with SGA. The only thing I see wrong with it, is that they are doing TOO many cast changes. SG-1 really didn't do any cast changes until Season 8, when Hammond left. But so far, with the exception of season 3, the cast has changed in every season premeire. It makes it hard to have a rapport with characters when they are constantly changing. In S3, it seemed like it was the Sheppard/McKay save the day team all the time. Other than Sheppard, McKay, and Teyla, everyone else is new, cause they have been around since the beginning. (I know Zelenka has too, I just didn't include him since he is a recurring character.)

I have really enjoyed the second half of S4, but other the BAMSR and Quarantine, there hasn't been an episode where all of the characters have appeared.

In short, I think they have lost their way, but at the same time, I enjoy the way they are going.

: Green is Good.
                            sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

^^That last statement pretty much sums up my feelings towards it, I dislike the cast changes(shame about Torri) but I do like the ever changing nature of the show.
                              Best quotes ever:
                              O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                              Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                              Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                              Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                              Thor:I like the yellow ones
                              O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X