What is so good about this show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is so good about this show?

Alright People plz tell me what is such a hype about this show?

I was personally, couldn't wait to watch this show. When I did get the chance, it was horrible.

1. Its not Science fiction for one thing. Only, god know why this was classified as SCi Fi and it was aired on the Sci Fi channel.

2. Its slow boring and repetitive... They jump every 30 minutes. I watched the first 5 episodes could watch anymore.

I have been watching Sci Fi series since I was like 12, so I think I have a clear indication of how a good SCi Fi story goes.

So tell me what is so good about this show?

It's times like this when I really wish titans was still actively around...

---

Can you explain your problems with the show a bit more? For example, with it not being "science fiction," how is it not? In what way(s) is it "slow boring and repetitive"? I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusion that the show was horrible, especially only watching the first five episodes (which may or may not have included the miniseries).
    Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
    sigpic

Comment

The first episode took forever to go where the action is. Infact, there was very little action or content. I was siting on my chair wondering what the hell was going on.

FYI, I have watched the miniseries.

I gave the first episode some slackness, and thought its only the first episode so I thought I will give it benefit of the doubt. However, almost half way through the season my viewpoint hasn't changed at all.

How many times do they jump? Doesn't it get repetitive in your mind. They do the same thing in every single episode that I have watched jump jump jump jump. They do the same mission over and over again.

Just the hype that heroes created this show has created.

Comment

Originally posted by globex View Post
        The first episode took forever to go where the action is. Infact, there was very little action or content. I was siting on my chair wondering what the hell was going on.

FYI, I have watched the miniseries.

I gave the first episode some slackness, and thought its only the first episode so I thought I will give it benefit of the doubt. However, almost half way through the season my viewpoint hasn't changed at all.

How many times do they jump? Doesn't it get repetitive in your mind. They do the same thing in every single episode that I have watched jump jump jump jump. They do the same mission over and over again.

Just the hype that heroes created this show has created.
        How many times does the enterprise go to warp? It's the same thing really. It would be completely unbeleivable if they didn't have a faster than light drive. and how is it not sci-fi? There are space ships and great big space battles and................hey wait you said the first 5 episodes right? Ok mate here's the thing. Watch 'the hand of god.' it's epside 10 of the first season. then tell me there's no action.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

If you want lots of action in your sci fi that's fine. But BSG is not an action sci fi. so if you want action BSG is definitely the wrong show. BSG is all about dramatic intensity and characters not explosions and space battles (even though there are quite a few; and yeah 'hand of god' is awesome!). and seriously how is it not a sci fi? all the characters in that show are not even from earth. and then there are cylons (the robots that look like humans; is that not a sci fi concept?). anyway..

Comment

BSG is on an extremely short list of scripted television shows where characters' actions actually have long-term consequences on their lives and relationships to the people they know. There's no magical reset button at the end of every episode as there is in so many other shows that purport to be science fiction.

No offense intended (really, I swear), but it sounds like you're suffering from that sort of...post-voyager/Starship Troopers science fiction expectations. Science fiction isn't about flashy effects, snazzy technology, or blowing stuff up. Science fiction, at its core, is about exploring the human condition: emotion, morality, relationships, the consequences of one's actions. BSG has this in spades.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

ron has clearly said it's a drama first scifi second
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

2. Its slow boring and repetitive... They jump every 30 minutes. I watched the first 5 episodes could watch anymore.
                They jump every 33 minutes, but that's just in one episode. And BTW, that episode was intense; if you didn't recognize that, then I don't know how to help you.

And I don't know how you can claim BSG is not sci-fi. Did you see the big space ships?

And there is lots of action in the series. Watch the mini-series first. Anyway, no sci-fi shows have action in every episode, not Star Trek, not Stargate, not Babylon 5, not Firefly, etc.
                sigpic
                FOX Network

Comment

Alright People plz tell me what is such a hype about this show?

I was personally, couldn't wait to watch this show. When I did get the chance, it was horrible.

1. Its not Science fiction for one thing. Only, god know why this was classified as SCi Fi and it was aired on the Sci Fi channel.

I have been watching Sci Fi series since I was like 12, so I think I have a clear indication of how a good SCi Fi story goes.

So tell me what is so good about this show?
                  Okay, my few cents:

1. Define sci-fi please. Imo it is one of the great things about BSG that it is NOT sci-fi only. It's the frakkin' best dramatic show I've ever seen This show is about what's right, what's wrong, what defines us as human beings. The people abort these spaceships make mistakes that have consequences. They make mistakes, people die. The entire human race is at stake. And still they try to do the right thing. This situation is what I would call the 'fiction' part Oh, and they travel via spaceships, that's the 'science' part.
                  If you define sci-fi with Star Trek TOS, that's your problem I don't need biologically impossible 'aliens'...

2. LOLz Let me guess, you like Stargate? Not that I don't like it but per definition that is repetitive and boring They go through a gate every damn episode, they get into trouble, solve it, nothing's changed so they do it again in the next episode... Great

Some people don't need easy stuff only. BSG makes me think about what is wrong in our society. I like it. If you don't then that's okay with me.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    Science fiction, at its core, is about exploring the human condition: emotion, morality, relationships, the consequences of one's actions. BSG has this in spades.
                    Very well put.

Comment

I guess hes looking for huge epic battles that go on for the entire episode.

You know, those with no story line, character development and a boat load of crappy dialog usually saying "argggg" and "die alien scum".

Originally posted by globex
                      how old are you exactly?

Just wondering what sci-fi shows you watched.
                      Visit my Website

Comment

BSG is one of the best Sci-Fi shows; I love how its different to other shows.

Firstly, the characters are more believable, who they are and their motives are explained, they feel remorse, guilt, love and other emotions.

Secondly, the setting is completely different, they are the last survivors of their people, so their actions that result in death are very serious, we have 6 billion, if we lost 50,000 it would be a tragedy, but its not the end of our race.

Thirdly, its more realistic, notice how in the battles, sound is intermittent?

The program focuses on real world issues, terrorism, and so on, but does it Animal Farm esque. - Read the book first and then read what its actually about.

I really can't say what it makes it so good, I just can't think of words to explain it to you over the 'net.

BSG breaks the barrier that most Sci-Fi has, there are no real super weapons, they can't hide behind their shields, they are in a real danger, and there are killer robots, hell bent on destruction and religion. The characters actually talk, the story lines follow through, not just through arcs and it makes you think. Tell me how that isn't better than some pompous idiots floating around, with their console exploding at the first sign of a sneeze.

Comment

The best response to this post would have been no response at all. Globex is obviously a borderline “troller” and new to the forum. I don’t feel the need to justify “what’s so good about the show” to someone as shallow as this. The recommended BSG viewing audience should have a minimum of an 8th grade education; clearly Globex doesn’t meet the standard. I suggest he stick to Transformer and GI Joe reruns on the cartoon network which is more suited for his intellect...

Comment

Originally posted by Deckard07 View Post
                            The best response to this post would have been no response at all. Globex is obviously a borderline “troller” and new to the forum. I don’t feel the need to justify “what’s so good about the show” to someone as shallow as this. The recommended BSG viewing audience should have a minimum of an 8th grade education; clearly Globex doesn’t meet the standard. I suggest he stick to Transformer and GI Joe reruns on the cartoon network which is more suited for his intellect...
                            It is right, no need for an answer here but have you ever considered that globex really wanted to know what others might like about this show? I for myself simply answered the question, so if you don't feel the need to do this, too, please don't answer at all. What you did is called insulting a forum member.
                            sigpic

Comment

What good about the show?

-Stuff gets blown up

What more could you want in a TV show?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X