No announcement yet.

STUPID...Stupid.....stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original writer has a point. There was tons of stuff in that room they could've moved out in order to balance the weight. True, they thought they needed the crates to get out, but why didn't they clear the room of the broken crates when the plans didn't work? You'll notice the shards and broken boards lying about the floor for the rest of the episode.
    Yes, they got rid of some of the dirt, but there was so much more they could've done.
    For instance, there was that giant metal tube Rodney used to make a cannon. Why did they leave that in the room? That must've weighed a ton. They had no idea they'd need it for a cannon. Also, the odds are there was a lot more stuff than just that. Look around, there's tons of random assorted heavy metal and wooden things.
    They could've easily actually SUBTRACTED from the overall weight in the room, thus buying them even more time than the chamber would've had had they not entered it.
    Then they simply could've waited for aid from Atlantis to arrive, trumpets blaring and flags waving, there to save the day as usual.

No, it seemed the writers were trying to hard to set up a standard Atlantis scenario. All looks well, then on the way to make things better, something bad happens. Bad thing doesn't seem so bad at first. Just wait it out or surf the small waves. Then a time limit is set with deadly consequences if the smart guys don't come up with a way out. Then there are a series of ideas, which all result in failure, usually worsening the situation. Finally, someone, usually not the genius who's supposed to be coming up with the plain, has an idea that saves the day. The idea is difficult to accomplish, and there are always snags, but next thing you know, they're in the infirmary recovering as always.
    Don't forget to through in awkward conversation for sexual tension.

Most certainly a filler episode, intended to keep the fans watching, thus earning more money for the creators, without actually having to move the series forward at the rate it should be, thus allowing for more seasons without having to come up with new and exciting storylines, which may actually be a good thing, as we saw what a disaster that became when the writers ran out of Goa'uld/Replicator plots and moved on to the "Ori" crap.

Comment

Well, the room in which they were in was rapidly destabilizing, and after scooping out all that dirt, they'd probably thought they were safe for a few more minutes at that moment. I'd think they'd be more focused on trying to get out than busting crates and sweeping them away...of course, that's just my opinion.
      And after they came up with a plan, they were more focused on executing the plan and hopefully getting out of the room than thinking pessimistically about how to prolong their lives in a room that's about to fall into a chasm. Again, that's just my view on this topic. No offense intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
        Isn't that a bar trick for free beer...?
        The trick is fooling the bartender the chest is worth a free beer.
        Last edited by nx01a; 11 February 2008, 04:27 PM.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by dec55 View Post
          The one girl who found the way out and helped the two others into the safety shaft..... Keller wins the Hero/genius contest....:lol Game over.
          She found the way out because she fell out! I guess that's one way to describe thinking outside of the box. I was wondering what else was beneath them along the walls, too.
          None of them have dibs on saving the day, they only survived thanks to the rope they used for other escape attempts and dumb [tptb] luck.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by jyh View Post
            Well, LORD MONK, your opinion is very valid, but aside from the first sentence (that "Trio" was, in your opinion, the worst episode ever), I don't see what the rest of your post has to do with this thread's topic. This thread's discussion has been about how these particular Atlantis characters coulda/shoulda/woulda tried to get out of the teetering, unstable box. Have you been to the thread titled "Anti-Season 4 Thread"?
            My bad, you are right. i just went off. I realy didn't see any reason on talking, or typing about the ep. the two greatest minds Earth has to offer couldn't even get out of a hole. They get out by a fluke. Thank god the doc was their to treat them and get them out of the hole that they were in. I would have bribed the kids with some chocolate bars and the docs boobs. (that would have been for me) After all, if she knows bar tricks then she most difinitly knows that one. Hell my niece came up with a better story then that. She askd why they didn't explore the tunnels trying to get out and uncover some Genii tech lab we didn't know about.

Is that better. That's what I had on my mind before I went into a rant. I usually have nothing bad to say about Stargate so I tend to forget about the anti threads. i should visit, they love my rants. i haven't been there in a couple of years.
            *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
            *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
            *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
            *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
            *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
            *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Actually, the weight had less to do with the room collapsing than the impact of the three when they fell into the room in the first place. The support structures were subjected to an uneven force that caused the room to collapse sooner than it would have. Regardless of how much weight you pushed out the door, the quakes would have caused the same failure. If weight was the primary factor, the rope swinging should have caused the room to collapse if not all the walking back and forth to the edge of room itself earlier.

As for being geniuses and yet "not doing all they could do",
              1. The room was shown more visible than what they would be able to see.
              2. They fell a good distance which would cause you to be distracted and develop a subclinical level of fear or concern.
              3. They are trapped in a more physical and unfamiliar environment than their expertise is based in.
              4. The seeming imminent demise of the space they are trapped in would cause rushed, possibly faulty suppositions.
              5. Easier possibilities that presented themselves caused them to waste time.
              6. A 30 foot hole looks like it should be a lot easier to climb out of than it is when you actually get in it.

They stayed remarkably focused and always moved forward toward a potential solution with everyone's effort. Typically, any three ordinary people would have panicked, drifted in and out of shock and fear, and never thought of all the possiblities you could name sitting comfortably without a care. Look at all the people who get on gameshows who are very knowledgeable and talented but as soon as the pressure is on, their focus becomes quite narrow and limited and can't seem to remember or even think.
              I watch HD on a 7.5 foot screen, how about you?

Comment

Originally posted by Obi1 View Post
                I'm saying that the place stood there for decades without collapsing and their weight is what caused the room to ultimately collapse. So it would stand to reason that the room might still be there if they hadn't fallen in. Since they did, they should have gotten rid of the excess weight.
                But, even if they did get rid of the extra wieght It probely would not have had much difference. If you think about it a lot of the reason the room started to fall was because of the wieght added instantly when they fell in along with the dirt that fell at the same time. What with the tremors added on to that the room probely would have fallen whether they got rid of the extra stuff or not. (not sure if that will make sense to anyone but me. Oh well . ^_^)
                Ummm... Mer?

Comment

Originally posted by o-0 View Post
                  I re-watched the episode just now and didn't see her scooping any dirt anywhere. As for the crates, after the first attempt failed, they would have no reason for using all of them again (the bar trick only used one or two crates and there were several in the room that they didn't need).

Nope, quite the contrary.
                  Keller WAS infact scooping up dirt in the scene where they are stacking the crates on each other.

Watch closer next time

EDIT: Just noticed someone had posted a snap shot of that

And just an FYI to your ''YES I'M TALKING TO YOUR WRITTERS!!!!!'' writing in capitals like that, makes you look pathetic and just screaming for attention.

Anyways I think this episode is serverly underrated, not the BEST episode but a good episode in my opinion
                  Last edited by Homer 120; 04 April 2008, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X