This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard Dean Anderson

Does anyone know why Richard Dean Anderson doesn't go to conventions? I would not miss it if he was at one!

Well, O'neill hates dressups, and after seeing the Lowdown how much O'neill is molded after RDA, I think I know why

Comment

I think it's because conventions would be too much for him. He wants to spend time with his family and is semi-retired. He wouldn't want to spend all that time going around signing autographs, giving speeches, posing for pictures, etc. when he could be with his daughter and relaxing away from all of the pressures of being a character on a television series.

Comment

I've heard something bad happened to him when he was doing cons for Macgyver

Comment

And thats why they call you 'Silly Sally'.
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

He's coming to Gatecon (Not Creation) in August this year in Vancouver.

Vala,

Comment

I think he has a variety of reasons, some dating back to fan interactions from his MacGuyver days. But I think the main reason is that by personality he doesn't like all the attention.
              GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
              The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
              Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                I think he has a variety of reasons, some dating back to fan interactions from his MacGuyver days. But I think the main reason is that by personality he doesn't like all the attention.
                From what I've heard, he also dislikes the anonymity of large cons. He finds them sort of impersonal in how they do not let the actors interact much with the fans one-on-one.

But he has already done one con a couple of years ago - Avalon. And he is doing Gatecon in Vancouver this year, so maybe he is getting more comfortable with the format. Perhaps we will get to see him at other cons in the future.

Comment

the stories i've heard is that, back in the 'days of our lives' and 'macgyver' days, he had some bad experiences with overenthusiastic fans.

Add to that that he's really a very shy man and conventions are simply overwhelming. The impression i got from avalon was that he liked meeting fans, he just can't handle it in such large and overwhelming venues.

during our tea (we were in the first of 5 groups at avalon) he was supposed to talk to one table, while amanda did another...but he had her do it with him so that he wasn't facing us all by himself.

he was just incredibly shy and overwhelmed.

He is doing gatecon and, personally, i think if his experience is a good one, he'll likely do more. But, again personally, i don't think he enjoys the 'meat market' atmosphere of some cons. he wants to see and meet fans, not be put on display.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    the stories i've heard is that, back in the 'days of our lives' and 'macgyver' days, he had some bad experiences with overenthusiastic fans.

Add to that that he's really a very shy man and conventions are simply overwhelming. The impression i got from avalon was that he liked meeting fans, he just can't handle it in such large and overwhelming venues.

during our tea (we were in the first of 5 groups at avalon) he was supposed to talk to one table, while amanda did another...but he had her do it with him so that he wasn't facing us all by himself.

he was just incredibly shy and overwhelmed.

He is doing gatecon and, personally, i think if his experience is a good one, he'll likely do more. But, again personally, i don't think he enjoys the 'meat market' atmosphere of some cons. he wants to see and meet fans, not be put on display.
                    The irony is that the more unavailable you are, the crazier people will act. Sela is already assigned to "hold me back" at Gatecon.
                    Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu View Post
                      The irony is that the more unavailable you are, the crazier people will act. Sela is already assigned to "hold me back" at Gatecon.
                      And who's going to hold ME back?
                      "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                      it has it's own laws and beats about things
                      which the intellect scorns."
                      - Mark Twain -

Comment

Originally posted by Sela View Post
                        And who's going to hold ME back?
                        Rick's bodyguards?

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                          Rick's bodyguards?
                          me in white coats maybe? *snickers*
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kady View Post
                            me in white coats maybe? *snickers*
                            The kind where the sleeves wrap around the back?
                            Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
                              From what I've heard, he also dislikes the anonymity of large cons. He finds them sort of impersonal in how they do not let the actors interact much with the fans one-on-one.

But he has already done one con a couple of years ago - Avalon. And he is doing Gatecon in Vancouver this year, so maybe he is getting more comfortable with the format. Perhaps we will get to see him at other cons in the future.
                              I was there at the Avalon convention. I was able to ask him a question and he sat together with Amanda Tapping at every table. It was very personal. I even have videos of it.
                              Lord Zedd

Comment

Working...
                              X