This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarcophagus

I know that the SGC has frowned on the use of the sarcophagus to heal and bring back a dead person because of it's addictive, and mind altering effects.

But I'm wondering how this policy would be altered if the SGC actually captured a working sarcophagus. I'm wondering if they would break down and use it anyway? I'm wondering if they would develop a doctrine of limited use at first. And then I'd like to see how far this would go, and if they would ultimately discard the device, or become dependent on it. They have used alien tech before when it seems to benefit them, such as the healing hand device.

What does a everyone think they would do with a working sarcophagus?

~Dave

well no doubt they'd use it if anyone ever died while off world. I mean it seems like limited use of it is fine.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

we havent really seen any in a while. with the fall of the goa'uld i suspect the lucian alliance has a few. but back when they were in the show regularly they were difficult to steal (bulky and only in places it is hard to steal from)
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

I seem to remember seeing one in the gate room. But I can't remember the episode, or why it was there.

~Dave

Comment

hathor: they shipped it there from a mayan pyramid and it was probably the only set big enough to have it in lol. hathor then showed up and all hell broke loose!!
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Well there's the reply to your last post. The SGC already had one. What happened to it?

~Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ~Dave View Post
              Well there's the reply to your last post. The SGC already had one. What happened to it?

~Dave
              it got blown up by a grenade i think, same episode
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              Quotes!
              sigpic

Comment

Oh, ok. Well at least it shows they can get one through the gate. And besides, they have the tech to beam stuff up and down these days. That should be making the acquisition of one simply a matter of locating it.

~Dave

Comment

A working sarcophagus would have made it impossible for the writers to build up any real drama, if the SGC had been allowed to keep it on base.
                  Plus there would be no need for Fraiser,Beckett,Warner and Co .

Most of the hazards of SGC off-world missions would have been meaningless,if all the injured and dead were simply taken back to base ,then popped into the sarc to be revived .
                  (Also there wouldn't have been much, if any need for the Drs ,so bye-bye to Fraiser,Beckett,Warner etc .)

( BTW ,Hathor managed to detonate her own sarc using her ribbon device,in the Gateroom ,trying to get at Jack,Sam and Janet.Shows even power-hungry Goa'uld are crap shots now and again ! )
                  The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS View Post
                    A working sarcophagus would have made it impossible for the writers to build up any real drama, if the SGC had been allowed to keep it on base.
                    Plus there would be no need for Fraiser,Beckett,Warner and Co .

Most of the hazards of SGC off-world missions would have been meaningless,if all the injured and dead were simply taken back to base ,then popped into the sarc to be revived .
                    (Also there wouldn't have been much, if any need for the Drs ,so bye-bye to Fraiser,Beckett,Warner etc .)
                    Not necessarily. It would depend on the policies they would develop to deal with the addictive, and mind altering effects of the device. And that's what I'm interested in.

~Dave

Comment

Fair enough,~Dave.
                      If the SGC ever managed to keep a working sarc,then it would have great if Area 51 scientists had been able to work on the side effects and eliminate them .
                      The Sarc could have then been adapted to be used in hospitals.Probably in serious cases only at first ,but then used more commonly once the tech became less expensive.
                      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Not necessarily. It would depend on the policies they would develop to deal with the addictive, and mind altering effects of the device. And that's what I'm interested in.
                        compared to say Morphine,Vicodin, Ritalin, Codeine? Most medications we use now are as bad as or worse then a sarcophagus and the treatments last much longer.

Comment

Let's say they couldn't eliminate the side effects. At least not right away. I'm wondering how they would use it, and what chances they would take with it. If they became dependent on it, like I suspect, then it would have profound effects on the future of Earth's population eventually.

~Dave

Comment

I agree with people when they say it would ruin a lot of the suspense, if they could heal anyone that was injured it would be less fun. It would take them to be blown up to be killed. They probably wouldn't use them due to the mind altering effects and that it could raise some serious ethical questions, is it right to change people to save their life even if the effects are only temporary. In real life (if it was all real) I would say that they would use it because it is a wonderful peace of kit, but not in the show because it does get rid of some drama.
                            Best quotes ever:
                            O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                            Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                            Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                            Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                            Thor:I like the yellow ones
                            O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

you know, i'm pretty sure the negative effects are seriously reduced if you only use it when actually dead or severely injured.

ie compare Daniel from Need to O'Neill from Abyss!!
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              Quotes!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X