What happened in Sheppard’s life? - Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
    A tidbit I found fascinating: Stanford doesn't have an ROTC program. They have a cross-studies program with other universities for those that want to be in ROTC. Harvard doesn't have ROTC either.
    I don’t think Sheppard would have joined an ROTC program anyway.

Some AF info from http://www.military.com/Recruiting/C..._usaf,,00.html

The Officer Training School at Maxwell AFB near Montgomery, Alabama, provides people with a bachelor's degree to earn a commission. Its rigorous 14-week program guides college graduates or degree airmen to commissions as Second Lieutenants.

In general terms, an officer must be a college or university graduate prior to commissioning, is trained by the Air Force to lead and manage, and can voluntarily leave the military if not under any officer service obligation at the time. Officers do not "enlist" in the Air Force and Air Force Reserve in the pure sense of the word, but individuals can compete for an enlistment option to go to Officers Training School to become a commissioned officer.

The Air Force trains pilots through its undergraduate pilot training program. Air Force pilots are generally officers who compete for the pilot training slots.

So, Stanford or any other college would do.

I have to wonder whether McKay knows where Sheppard went to college. That would seem to be common information to share early in a friendship. I would have loved to see McKay’s reaction when he found out that Sheppard graduated from a prestigious university (if he did).
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
      Now, according to Outcast, Shep hadn't seen Nancy in over four years, and yet Shep knew all about Greg Grant. Thus I believe Shep and Nancy had divorced some time before that, years before, I expect. The fact that Shep didn't exactly remember Grant's name suggests he hadn't been in close contact with Nancy in a very long time. I don't think they were on good terms really. - I'm not saying there was animosity or anything, just regret and obviously serious issues, or they wouldn't have divorced. But like any former lover, it rare to keep in close contact. Too much water under the bridge and all. However, neither Sheppard or Nancy's emotions seemed raw. It's as if a lot of time has passed and as time passes so do feelings of hurt and regret etc...
      I think the divorce was well over four years ago. Nancy had to have time to remarry. I doubt he would have had any kind of contact with her since Atlantis. That might explain the misremembered name and possibly the awkwardness and why she was testy with him.

Some people do stay friendly with an ex-spouse, especially where there are no children and the divorce was mutual. I think Sheppard would have married someone who was a friend and who he respected. I don’t think a divorce caused by work issues and forced separations would have destroyed the friendship or the respect. There would have been feelings of regret and failure, certainly, but, he could easily have cared enough about her to stay in touch and see her from time to time for coffee or lunch. He evidently stayed in touch with some woman from college.

Or their last meeting could have been as simple as being at the same funeral or wedding.

That meeting would have had to occur before Antarctica (or possibly during a leave while he was there). Sheppard would have been given leave before he went to Antarctica. He could have come back to the Washington area or his home base could have been in the area.

There would be some necessary preparation before going to Antarctica. That would likely include a screening for suitability and extreme cold weather training including extreme cold weather helicopter operations.

As far as Letters from Pegasus goes, he would not have wanted to send a remarried ex-wife a video to say: I’m probably about to die, just thought I’d ruin your day too. I think I would only do that to someone that had a vested interest in my continued survival.
      Indeed. In fact events have happened in the books which now contradict canon in certain instances.
      As for the books being canon, it is my understanding that the SGA books when written comply with current cannon. This is apparently assured by some subset of some faction of TPTB at MGM approving the initial story and the finished manuscript. Of course, the TV production is constantly evolving and may supercede any aspect of the books at any time.

In Blood Ties (late 2007), the psychological evaluation that was required of Sheppard before being allowed to go to Antarctica is interesting for the possible insight it gives into some minimal qualification required for personnel before being sent to Atlantis.
      sigpic

Comment

Speaking of John's life...

Kdvb1 also writes: “Who is older, John or Dave Sheppard?”

Answer: I imagined John being the big brother.
        http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...s-development/

Comment

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post

As for the books being canon, it is my understanding that the SGA books when written comply with current cannon. This is apparently assured by some subset of some faction of TPTB at MGM approving the initial story and the finished manuscript. Of course, the TV production is constantly evolving and may supercede any aspect of the books at any time.

In Blood Ties (late 2007), the psychological evaluation that was required of Sheppard before being allowed to go to Antarctica is interesting for the possible insight it gives into some minimal qualification required for personnel before being sent to Atlantis.
          I'm not going to hunt through Joe M's blog to find the quote but I specifically remember him saying that the books were nothing to do with TPTB and were not canon. Go to the Fandemonium thread and ask the authors I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          Speaking of John's life...
          Kdvb1 also writes: “Who is older, John or Dave Sheppard?”

Answer: I imagined John being the big brother.
          That's interesting and personally I did see it that way - I definitely got the vibe that Dave feels John abandoned him.

Comment

^^ Indeed, the books aren't considered canon. I suppose you could call them a separate canon if you wanted, like the movie, but that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              Indeed.

This episode really showed me that, even though we haven't been told of Shep's backstory beforehand, all of his various choices, decisions, and actions in the past 3.5 seasons really came together to create a consistent, and deep character. This episode basically took all of that, and tied it together perfectly, with the root of why he is the man he is.

Fabulous episode. Loved it.
              Well said! I thought they did an excellent job with that.
              Also VERY interesting to know Sheppard WAS involved in some very secret, presumably special ops, missions. I think many had surmised that, but it's good to have that mentioned on screen.
              Good point.

Seems likely that he did go to Stanford. Something had to bring it to mind?

SHEPPARD: My dad's idea of teenage rebellion was going to Stanford instead of Harvard.
              (He smiles at Ronon, who frowns back, uncomprehending.)
              SHEPPARD: Never mind. He just – he had everything planned out for me since I was about fourteen.

So…
              Did Sheppard rebel by going to Stanford?
              Did he get into Harvard?
              Watching that, I got the impression that Sheppard went to neither of them. It seemed to me like he was just saying that his father's version of rebelling was quite limited, which suggests that John's idea of rebelling against his father was somewhat more radical. Mostly, I got the impression that his father had planned for him to follow in his footsteps and go into the family business (or businesses, as the case may be). Instead, John joined the Air Force in spite of his father's objections. Just my take on it.
              sigpic
              My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Originally posted by Lauriel View Post
                Watching that, I got the impression that Sheppard went to neither of them. It seemed to me like he was just saying that his father's version of rebelling was quite limited, which suggests that John's idea of rebelling against his father was somewhat more radical. Mostly, I got the impression that his father had planned for him to follow in his footsteps and go into the family business (or businesses, as the case may be). Instead, John joined the Air Force in spite of his father's objections. Just my take on it.
                I agree, he may not have gone to Harvard or Stanford. (It would be nice to know if he applied and got accepted ) And we have no indication that he went to the Air Force Academy, though his father was probably influential enough to get him considered.

I think he went to college before he joined the Air Force. If he wanted to fly, he had to be an officer first. The easiest way to do that was to apply to join as an officer after college and go straight into Office Training School. I don’t see Sheppard joining as an Airman and then trying to go to college.

My bet is that Sheppard went to a prestigious school, though he probably didn’t study what his father would have preferred. His joining the Air Force after college may have been the final straw in his relationship with his father or it may have followed the break and been the result of whatever caused it. I doubt we’ll ever know; probably better that way.

I wonder if Nancy was part of the life he grew up in or if she was someone he met in college or later. Did he marry her before the Air Force or after? It would be interesting to know the time line and where she fits into it.

I so hope there is something interesting in Sheppard’s life connected with phone calls and secret missions before Afghanistan. I so want Afghanistan to be the result of something bigger, not the driving force in his life.
                sigpic

Comment

I agree, he may not have gone to Harvard or Stanford. (It would be nice to know if he applied and got accepted ) And we have no indication that he went to the Air Force Academy, though his father was probably influential enough to get him considered.

I think he went to college before he joined the Air Force. If he wanted to fly, he had to be an officer first. The easiest way to do that was to apply to join as an officer after college and go straight into Office Training School. I don’t see Sheppard joining as an Airman and then trying to go to college.
                  I agree. I didn't know enough about American college/air force recruitment to comment though.

My bet is that Sheppard went to a prestigious school, though he probably didn’t study what his father would have preferred. His joining the Air Force after college may have been the final straw in his relationship with his father or it may have followed the break and been the result of whatever caused it. I doubt we’ll ever know; probably better that way.
                  IMHO, he's too intelligent and educated not to have gone to college. Of course, natural intelligence will get you a long way, but he seems to have a pretty good grasp on a lot of things, especially mathematical. He passed the MENSA test, and that means that he has a broad knowledge base as well.

I wonder if Nancy was part of the life he grew up in or if she was someone he met in college or later. Did he marry her before the Air Force or after? It would be interesting to know the time line and where she fits into it.

I so hope there is something interesting in Sheppard’s life connected with phone calls and secret missions before Afghanistan. I so want Afghanistan to be the result of something bigger, not the driving force in his life.
                  I couldn't agree with you more! I'd love them to develop this more, and possibly tie it in with some current or future situations in Atlantis.
                  sigpic
                  My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

I guess, until Shep divulged where exactly he went to college, we'll just know that it was also a prestigious school - not his Dad's first choice of university but a close second.

At the car scene, Nancy appeared to have some hostility left with John and his secret missions despite having mentioned of being in the same position when she caught Grant giving her looks as she leaves for her own hush-hush work related operations without any explanation. Was Nancy still trying to find/ understand the reason why their marriage crumbled? I got the impression from her that she tried acquiring information around the time their marriage failed.

Comment

Working...
                    X