This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wormhole Physics (possible spoilers)

In Rising pt 2, Lt. Ford said that they were going way too fast to enter the gate when they were being chased by the Wraith. When they went through, they slowed way down. I'm guessing it was interia dampeners. But then in "Upgrades" of SG-1, Sam said that wormhole physics indicate that u exit the same speed you enter. For example, they went though the gate at a fast speed with their armbands, and they exited at the same speed. So which one is right?

No. They exitted really really fast. The puddle jumper just has nice brakes
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
      No. They exitted really really fast. The puddle jumper just has nice brakes
      Yep.
      There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

how do arrival gates "catch" wormholes? it can't be because of the naquadah because some planets and star systems possess lots of naquadah. what think you?

Comment

Originally posted by terraatlantus
          how do arrival gates "catch" wormholes? it can't be because of the naquadah because some planets and star systems possess lots of naquadah. what think you?
          I'm guessing that the wormhole forms near the gate, then the gate kind of grabs it. Or the gate system is smart enough to put the wormhole in exactly the right place at exactly the right time.
          sigpic

Comment

They "catch: wormholes? Since when? I'm confused. The arrival gates form the incoming end of the wormhole, using naquada. The wormhole can't be caught, it's created on both ends. It requires a device with electronics to actually form the wormhole ends, a wormhole can't form with any-old naquada object. It requires precise physics/math/science.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
              They "catch: wormholes? Since when? I'm confused. The arrival gates form the incoming end of the wormhole, using naquada. The wormhole can't be caught, it's created on both ends. It requires a device with electronics to actually form the wormhole ends, a wormhole can't form with any-old naquada object. It requires precise physics/math/science.

that too was my thought: both gates create the "ends" of the wormhole and the space in between is pulled 'taut' in the sense the actual wormhole is created but several times on sg1 the chevron guys and supersam say 'the wormhole should reach the other gates in 3 2 1 now"

Comment

There also might be a signal in Atlantis that tells PJs and other ships to SLOOOW DOWN. You don't want them crashing into everyone.

Comment

that too was my thought: both gates create the "ends" of the wormhole and the space in between is pulled 'taut' in the sense the actual wormhole is created but several times on sg1 the chevron guys and supersam say 'the wormhole should reach the other gates in 3 2 1 now"
                  Plus, how exactly would the end of the wormhole opposite the dialing gate "know" to engage? A signal would have to be sent from one end to the other at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Unarmed
                    Plus, how exactly would the end of the wormhole opposite the dialing gate "know" to engage? A signal would have to be sent from one end to the other at some point.

Like modems do, first the signal each other, agree on a protocol, then open the connection (wormhole last). So maybe the departure gate sends an ultrahyperspeed transmission to the arrival gate then the arrival gate says 'yep, I'm where you expected me to be AND I'm not buried and can form an event horizon' then the departure gate responds 'okay, got your message ' that's cool or that sucks' " then the departure gate says I'm opening my end of the worm hole at this time (presuming they know how to bypass relativity as they must with hyperspeed travell) and you must open your end at this time too' then the arrival gate okays it then the space in between forms the extradimensional wormhole.

Comment

Like modems do, first the signal each other, agree on a protocol, then open the connection (wormhole last). So maybe the departure gate sends an ultrahyperspeed transmission...
                      Yes, that would make the most sense, but then the question becomes "ultrahyperspeed transmission? How'd that happen?" Consider that it's been heavily implied that the chevrons on the receiving gate engage at the same time as the chevrons are encoded on the sending gate -- how'd the receiving gate know it was, uh, supposed to be receiving before the complete address was locked?

Comment

Originally posted by Unarmed
                        Yes, that would make the most sense, but then the question becomes "ultrahyperspeed transmission? How'd that happen?" Consider that it's been heavily implied that the chevrons on the receiving gate engage at the same time as the chevrons are encoded on the sending gate -- how'd the receiving gate know it was, uh, supposed to be receiving before the complete address was locked?

first, I want to rant against the imbecility of the directors for making me write excuses for this scenario by shooting such inexplicable scenes for the sake of drama. why can't directors get over their egos and realize they can't modify things from scripts/books just because of photoplay. either be a writer or director but not both

I guess it must be a warning sequence for people near the gate to move the heck away from it. Ultrahyperspeed transmission must be possible else how does Baal speak to Teal''c aboard a hatak moving in hyperspace? The arruvakl gate might actually be already communicating with the departure gate but is giving due warning so people won't be turned into quantum foam.
                        Last edited by terraatlantus; 15 October 2004, 10:29 PM.

Comment

first, I want to rant against the imbecility of the directors for making me write excuses for this scenario by shooting such inexplicable scenes for the sake of drama. why can't directors get over their egos and realize they can't modify things from scripts/books just because of photoplay. either be a writer or director but not both

I guess it must be a warning sequence for people near the gate to move the heck away from it. Ultrahyperspeed transmission must be possible else how does Baal speak to Teal''c aboard a hatak moving in hyperspace? The arruvak gate might actually be already communicating with the departure gate but is giving due warning so be won't be turned into quantum foam.
                          Oh, on the contrary -- their lack of continuity allows for hours of quibbling and theorizing from the fan base! I know I have been turning a theory-of-everything-SG around in my head for a while, and I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to make everything fit.

That said, interesting point on the ultrahyperspeed (for lack of a better term) communication. Time for more mulling...

Comment

Sub-space maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Furyofaseraph
                              Sub-space maybe?
                              Yes. Blame it all on the DHD.
                              They probably send out some type of pulse signal through hyperspace or whatever to contact the other gates for updates and connections. Actually, that was how they decided that hologram transmissions between planets happens in Star Wars. They are actually pushing the non-material signals into/through the "ultrahyperspeed" dimension. Maybe it's not a perfect explanation, but it works for me!!!

EDIT: Forget Star Wars... yea, that's probably how the Goa'uld ball communication devices work too.
                              There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Working...
                              X