This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 and onwards

i've been noticing how scifi does their renewal stuff like season 5 depended on how well season 3 did. so if it works the same here that season 6 depends on how well season 4 does then i say its safe to assume that we're gonna have a season 6. and since mgm is interested in continuing the franchise my original thought of having ten seasons for atlantis is very real.
    There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You can't remake the past, so look ahead...or risk being left behind

Originally posted by Prometheus 1 View Post
    i've been noticing how scifi does their renewal stuff like season 5 depended on how well season 3 did. so if it works the same here that season 6 depends on how well season 4 does then i say its safe to assume that we're gonna have a season 6. and since mgm is interested in continuing the franchise my original thought of having ten seasons for atlantis is very real.
    i wouldn't rush it ... IMO BSG is better then Atlantis and scifi wouldn't let it contunine past season 4

so nothing is set in stone
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
      i wouldn't rush it ... IMO BSG is better then Atlantis and scifi wouldn't let it contunine past season 4

so nothing is set in stone
      SciFi didn't cancel BSG, the writers did (as far as we know)

Atlantis season 4 is doing very well. It has had alot of great episodes, and the show is improving (to me anyway).

The viewer drop between seasons 1 and 2 was big. The viewer drop between seasons 2 and 3 was big. The viewer drop between seasons 3 and 4 is pretty much none-existent, and the viewers have actually gone up in seasons 4.5 compared with the first half, with BAMSR scoring the highest numbers since The Real World (which had ratings that were basically nothing to do with the episode, but instead the fact that the 200th episode of SG-1 aired just before it.)

There is a good chance of getting a season 6, and anyone who says thee isn't is kidding themselves. I'm not saying it is in the bag, by any stretch of the imagination, but there is very good cause for hope, as opposed to just dismissing the idea out of hand.

Comment

Very well said and I concur completely. No one can say for sure, but at this rate, there are only two things that can break the odds against us, which are currently in favor of a sixth season:

1.) Ratings take a substantial downward arc at some point throughout the fifth season;

2.) Sci-Fi becomes uber-confident in its newer arsenal, and downplays the significance of a powerhouse mainstay such as Stargate Atlantis in favor of 'fresh, new ideas'. (Unlikely, since Stargate seems very hot on Sci-Fi's minds, still, but then, this is kind of what happened with Farscape, too.)
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

SciFi canceled BSG, because they were coward to give them a 2 season long (40 episode) order. Than they found out if they cut the 20 episode long season into twice, than they will have BSG in 2009 too. They feared that BSG season 4 will have weaker rating. I wouldn't be surprised, if this decision became wrong and BSG will bring 1,3-1,6 rating.

Back to Atlantis. I don't like that they change the cast in every year, but as long as they can renew themselves with better stories, I wouldn't mind to see a season 6-7-8 next to the Stargate : Universe series.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

That's the gist when it comes to BSG, yep. Sci-Fi doesn't necessarily want the show done and over with by any means -- it just wants to play things by ear more than TPTB were willing to compromise with, because the ratings have dropped steadily in a significant enough fashion over time that they don't want to risk offering two seasons like that. (Especially not to go back on their word infamously again on such a deal, as they did with, again, Farscape, should ratings continue to drop.)

And it's really better off this way, that Ron Moore just kind of said 'well frak you, then, I'll finish things up well enough this coming fourth season', and I wish this happened with Farscape, really. It's a good, solid move; if ratings don't rapidly turn back up somehow, Sci-Fi could well have said 'no' to a fifth year, so forcing the envelope tightly shut in the next 20 hours is going to be a good thing. If ratings are substantial enough and there's enough brewing interest thereafter, not only is the development-hell-prone prospective spinoff of 'Caprica' to fall back on, which Skiffy has recently shown renewed interest in, anyway, but there's always the possibility for follow-up miniseries and the like.

Skiffy sees BSG as a signature series; its most heavily-touted and critically acclaimed scripted show on the air right now. (Out of, what, three? But still.) Because of this, it enjoys heavy promotion, but heavy promotion alone can't win a show over in the hearts of the millions; even Razor, thrown in the faces of those who cared and those who didn't for months, couldn't save it from only 'fairly decent' ratings in the end, because much of the fanbase has dropped. These kinds of hard facts have made Moore aware that he needs to get the show on the road, take it to where it's trying to go, and wrap things up as neatly as possible, though he's still been cited for saying that after the fourth year, in his mind, there are another 'two chapters which can be of varying lengths', whatever this ends up meaning.
            If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

SCI FI will be looking at the ratings for the 2nd half of Season 4. Right now the 2nd half is doing better than the first half and slighly better than last season's 2nd half. So that will likely be a postive factor in the equation. A lot also depends on the costs of Season 6. If the ratings are a little better than the previous season, which they are, they can allow for an increase in production costs, or what they charge to SCI FI.

SCI FI is very dry on original programming. They picked up Sanctuary, will most likely pick up the 3rd SG series Stargate Universe, and renew SGA for a 6th season.

The new president, Dave Howe does not see SCI FI without a Stargate in the near or far furture, and the franchise is very important to them. What happened to SG-1 was more of the fault of MGM not wanting to front more money.
              sigpic

Comment

Off topic. They made so many bad business decision, that I am not surprised. They canceled SG-1, Dresden Files, Battlestar Galactica. So if they want to survive the next five year, they will desperately need Stargate.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  Off topic. They made so many bad business decision, that I am not surprised. They canceled SG-1, Dresden Files, Battlestar Galactica. So if they want to survive the next five year, they will desperately need Stargate.
                  technically SCI FI didn't cancel BSG and SG-1
                  sigpic
                  The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I could see them getting a sixth season. Ratings are pretty decent right now - unless they drop off in S5, then I would expect a S6. Plus the main cast are contracted for 6 seasons.

Beyond that, it's hard to say. They need to stabilize the show though. This season was a season of change and next season will be as well. They need to get themselves on a track and steady the course for the show to last long term.
                    - Life after Stargate -
                    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                    sigpic

Comment

You can't compare Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica. Because unlike the former, BSG can't go on forever. There's only so much you can do with one story arc, and really that's all BSG has, one story arc, the finding of earth.

BSG has a lot of things against it when it comes to longevity.

- Like I said before, it's got one story arc and that's it, and we can all agree that no ones to see a BSG series about settling on earth.
                      - Same setting, with Cloud 9 gone, most of the setting will take place inside a ship, and eventually, it's going to get boring.
                      - Same people. There's only two races, two cultures, humans and cylons, you can only make them interesting for so long.
                      These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                        I could see them getting a sixth season. Ratings are pretty decent right now - unless they drop off in S5, then I would expect a S6. Plus the main cast are contracted for 6 seasons.

Beyond that, it's hard to say. They need to stabilize the show though. This season was a season of change and next season will be as well. They need to get themselves on a track and steady the course for the show to last long term.
                        That will keep the cost down for Season 6! Also, with the ratings and viewers higher than last season's 2nd half that is a very good sign.
                        sigpic

Comment

I do think Season 6 is very possible. The reasoning is, the ratings are steady from last season's half with the viewers being slighly more, that is before DVR of course which could actually put this season way above Season 3.5! The main cast; Joe F, Rachel L, David H, and Jason M are signed on till Season 6. Also, with BSG ending it would leave a huge gap for the network not to continue a series with an established strong fan base. The newly elected president of the network does not see the network without a Stargate series in the near or far future.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X