Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CARSON BECKETT: Finally. It's about bloody time.

(He stands up.)

BECKETT: What took you so long?

So the Save Carson Beckett campaign got its payoff in this episode. I thought it was quite interesting how they brought him back, finding the poor lonely guy who'd waited two years to be saved.

I quite like the Michael arc, it has a darker aspect to it with his horrific experimentation and total disregard of human and Wraith life. He's a more interesting villain due to his various hangups and a self given right to make people pay for them. He laid a pretty ingenious trap for Teyla, really cruel luring her with visions of her lover and father of her child, only to see what Michael did to him and most of her people.

Comment

Joe Mallozzi's Blog Entry:

Photo of Carson

KINDRED I (418)

According to the trailer that the network ran for this episode: “You won’t believe the last five minutes”. These words were uttered as viewers were shown the deceased but very much alive-looking Carson Beckett looking up as someone says: “Carson!”. My question was: “Why won’t they believe the last five minutes. You’ve already ruined it for them.” It was reminiscent of the network trailer for SG-1?s The Curse that showed Osiris, eyes glowing, blasting members of the team – effectively ruining our end of episode reveal. Which was, in turn, reminiscent of the TV Guide blurb for SG-1?s Solitudes: “Jack and Sam are stranded in the Antarctic”, an episode in which Jack and Sam believe they’ve been stranded off-world until they discover they’re actually been on Earth all along. In the Antarctic! Surprised? No?

At the SGA season 3 wrap party, I informed a glum Paul McGillion that I had a great idea to bring Carson back. It involved cloning, Michael, and a shocking and unexpected appearance by the beloved Scot. Well, in the end, cloning and Michael anyway.

The placeholder title for this episode was “Rise of the Googlions”. Why? Because that’s the title fellow Executive Producer/writer Carl Binder suggested and it stuck. From a former blog entry: “Oh, dear. This is what happens when you hang on to a gag title a little too long. Sooner or later, it makes it onto the schedule, the Art Department starts using it in their design updates, and producer John N. Smith can be heard uttering the words: ‘We should check out that location. We might be up there for Googlions.’ For all of you who have been racking your brains trying to come up with the hidden meaning behind the ‘Rise of the Googlions’ title, allow me to reveal it for you. … ‘Rise of the Googlions’ was nothing more than an inane title Carl came up with off the top of his head. To all those who wasted any amount of time searching the Internet for clues about the googlions, blame Mr. Binder who unwittingly sent you all out on a wild goose chase.”
      sigpic

Comment

Midweek, another ep of Atlantis...

1. It's amazing how many of the details of this ep I forgot.

2. Including that it was a two parter.

3. And the conversations Teyla had with people.

4. Eventually remembered that Carson's return was the cliffhanger though.
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Not a bad ep.

The return of the Hoffan drug. Also Michael and Todd in the same ep.

Our first look at Michaels perfect hybrids.

Why is it the earth ships always seem to use railguns before they start using the asgard beams? The cruiser would have been destroyed in 2 or 3 shots if they had of.

The return of Beckett. Was pretty shocking the first time I saw this ep.
          sigpic

Comment

Maybe the Asgard beamers need to get charged up, but the rail guns don't..

Comment

SciFi dropped the ball on this one. I remember us all complaining about the promo for weeks. But the be honest complaining is what we did. If we weren't fighting another we were complaining. Anyone Part I is really about Teyla and by extenstion the plague that is sweeping through the Pegasus. With the Stargates its a wonder this doesn't happen too often. I liked the plague part of this story. I thought it was interesting to bring what at the time seemed like a filler episode and use the plot for an extenstive arc. This is also the episode where I think Micheal lost credibility. He always blames Atlantis for his actions but whn you start commiting murder to 30% of a population I think that defense goes out the window. On the other hand I think Teyla arc (Yes FH its an arc) was poorly done. Maybe its due to Luttrell's pregnancy. Maybe it was lack of interest in the writers. Whatever the reason I felt like this story was underutilized. Teyla's people missing has emphasis in Missing and The Seer and then its dropped. As a result I am uninterested in this episode in Teyla's search for her people.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                On the other hand I think Teyla arc (Yes FH its an arc)...

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                ...was poorly done. Maybe its due to Luttrell's pregnancy. Maybe it was lack of interest in the writers. Whatever the reason I felt like this story was underutilized. Teyla's people missing has emphasis in Missing and The Seer and then its dropped. As a result I am uninterested in this episode in Teyla's search for her people.
                Yet, I agree with this...
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Teyla is a pretty good interrogator

Was Luttrell really pregnant at the time, or was it just a pillow?

Disappointing end. Why would some dead guy show up, just to say:"About bloody time"?
                  Ok I will see part 2 now, even though the ending felt really silly...

Comment

Originally posted by Cluas View Post
                    Was Luttrell really pregnant at the time, or was it just a pillow?
                    She really was.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      She really was.
                      Cool. Thanks I didn't know for a fact, but I was pretty sure I read it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Cluas View Post
                        Cool. Thanks I didn't know for a fact, but I was pretty sure I read it somewhere.

Yes, hence why the supposedly big Teyla-arc had to be revised by TPTW in order to incorperate the pregnancy. Also, the reason why there's suddenly an Athosian in the picture named Kanaan.

Comment

Working...
                        X