This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
    What have the writers done to Carter? I know she said her character would step back and let McKay do his thing, but last night, that was not the Carter I have grown to love. I don't know her character seems so different, and I cannot put my finger on it, but when I do I will comment more.
    i don't find sam out of character, it's just that not only is this not 'her' show, she's been introduced so slowly so that the same s9 mistakes with mitchell and vala didn't happen again. at least that's my take.

but i was thinking that s5 was going to change that, with having given sam an entire season to slowly blend in and then getting to see her in full action. well, as full action as a supporting player could be. (now i'll just hope that whatever place they're taking sam in s5, it'll still give her a chance to shine)

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

I always try to read the old post before writing something, but after the whole Keller is a “flirt”, Carter’s polish nail, Mckay is a pervert, and the Selenka bashing, I just had to stop and write what I think of the EPISODE.

Not as good not to bad.

Rodney, Sam and Jennifer interaction was really good, they come from uncomfortable with each other, as to not knowing what to do or said to eachother to just better friends at the end.

Though I never like the Mckay character so much, I feel bad for the guy, he is so out as to how to react and treat woman that Keller and Sam had to tell him that Kattie want’s nothing to do with him now.

And Jennifer comment about him been a “nice guy” wasn’t a flirt comment, to me it sound it more like, “thought you are a “know it all” irritating, impatient and sometime arrogant guy, on top of that you are a nice guy to have around” and she say “she deserves a nice guy like you” so she was not hitting on him, and the last scene, the comment she does about Rodney don’t having a clue as how to treat people because he was always studying and been him, he lost that ability to “been normal” and I’m not saying this in a bad way, geniuses always have this problem, how to inter act with people. Keller is making out this point, not hitting on him.

At the beginning of the episode Rodney keeps on attacking Keller in her findings and just making her out to be as none important, at the end she and him have level to be friends with different points of view, but understanding each other as friends and nothing more.

They didn’t whine/complain to much as I thought they would, they all have something to offer and got the chance to prove their theories just for those theories to not work.

Carter, I love seen her more than ten seconds but had to agree, they could have used her in another way or episode with more acction in the field, not trap in a hole, but the episode had a lot of funny lines and funny entertaining moments to.

She allow Rodney to try and save the day with that hook but end up to do it her self really good old Carter moment.

Keller knowing of that game and actually been a plan to escape was good.

Rodney telling Sam he wasn’t leaving her behind really good.

Keller overcoming her scary nature of heights and dangling from the rope finding the way out on pure accident really, really good, she didn’t become the get me out of here little girl screaming at the top of her lungs, she was cool and capable of helping her team mates.

Rodney again, been the accidental hero for the team, priceless even thought he was hurt he rise to the occasion.

20 questions thought a stupid game for some was kind of good, way to pass the time since we know they weren’t about to ask/answer personal questions at all. (and we are left in the dark about Sam's personal life again)

I could keep going but I’ll stop here, never thought I’ll be writing Mckey from a good angle, since the character annoys me so much, I end up loving him this episode.

And I know that comment abput Selenka, wasn't as bad at some had make it to be, IMO Sam was reffering at the innabilitie for Selenke to relax in her presence, and Rodney likes him as a friend Jennifer just felt uncomfortable as the comments he make about how she "smells" kind of odd, but thay like the guy, all of them

What was that in the episode or the bad side of it:

Those kids were unnecessary the first time around, the second time just annoying and stupid.

Keller not having morphine in her medical kit just not passable, since the teams run into trouble every time.

Constant reference to Carter and Keller’s body’s and boob’s and assets just plain stupid and making Mckey sound more like a pervert than the grown and intelligent man that he is (man defending him again I can’t believe it)

Little rope at the beginning a whole lot of rope at the end of the episode.

Not even a scene with Sam in the infirmary just odd.

8 out of 10 for me.
      sigpic

Dare and Dream

Comment

Well, for an episode that I went into expecting to hate with a deep deep hatred - I actually liked this one! Color me completely shocked.

Let's get the bad out of the way first. There were definitely some things I could have done without this episode. I really could have done without all the juvenile humor. The "who would you rather?" game, Rodney trying to get Sam to show her breasts, the body comparison, etc. Not so good. I also completely HATED the Zelenka bashing! At first I was going to go Yay, Rodney's going to stand up for his friend, but then he didn't, and all of them joining in on it really really irritated me. Bad writers!! We love Zelenka! No Zelenka bashing!

There were also some odd things - first, Keller finds the Genii files in a generic expandifile? Really? I didn't know the Genii had Office Max. Second, they've made such a big deal about her fear of heights, even in this episode, and then when she's suddenly dangling on the end of a rope over a chasm, she suddenly seems to lose all her fear. What????? That transformation was a little jarring.

Other than those things, this was a surprisingly good episode! It did drag a little bit, especially in the first half, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Carter's not my favorite character, and I haven't been very excited about Keller either lately, especially after Quarantine. But I thought they were both good in this episode, and this went a long way toward redeeming Keller in my eyes.

Oh and can I just say - McKay/Keller is a much MUCH better idea than Ronon/Keller! And Keller herself is much better around McKay than she is around some of the others. She has more of a personality. And yay for that. McKay doesn't put up with her whining (which is the height of irony I know), and she seems to get him better than I thought she did.

Overall, a pretty decent episode! And yay for scared but brave Rodney! I love Rodney!

Oh and yes, that was definitely flirting at the end.

EDIT: I saw someone else (I don't know whether it was here or on LJ) that said they liked Gero's Keller better than Binder's Keller. I would wholeheartedly agree with that. I've normally liked Binder's characterization - he's written some of my favorite episodes (Echoes always comes to mind first). But Cooper and Gero have done the best job with Keller I think. Binder's Keller has been completely annoying, and McCullough's Keller has just been flat and emotionless. Just my opinion, of course.
        Last edited by Killdeer; 09 February 2008, 05:06 PM.
        - Life after Stargate -
        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
        sigpic

Comment

Booooooohhhh. Booooring episode! That's all there is to say.
          Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen...

...very often

Comment

WOW.

HELLS YEAH, THIS IS WHY I WATCH MAH STARGATE!!

Ok, ok, ok, so that was...wow. Ok. It's odd that I'd feel this way, considering that this is usually how I feel towards BIG episodes, like The Pegasus Project or Be All My Sins Remember'd, but DAAAAAAYYYYYYYUUUUUMMMM...Trio was freaking-ass AWESOME!!

Seriously, I mean, I'm sweating right now because of those last few scenes. The tension was ridiculously palpable, I was...you know what? I'll save that for the last bit of my review, because it's the most crazy part, in terms of how I reacted to the scenes.

But, of course, the main *thang* of this episode is the banter. OH MY GOD THE BANTER. OH, IT WASN'T JUST THE BANTER, BUT THE FACIAL EXPRESSIONS TOO. Ok, wait a minute, just, just let me calm down a little.

Ok, I think I'm better, maybe. When I first heard of this episode, I was extremely skeptic of it. I mean, seriously...it's about 3 people who fall into a hole. Boy, was I horrendously f'ed up with that. How could I have just waved it off as that, when those 3 people are David Hewlett, Jewel Staite, and Amanda Tapping?

I COULDN'T HAVE WAVED IT OFF, THAT'S WHAT. BIATCH.

ALRIGHT. Calm down. Pheeeeeeewwwwww......

Anyways, I was skeptic all the way until the episode premiered, and read some of the reactions. I saw how people delighted in the banter, but thought that, perhaps, it dragged, and I thought "Hmmm, ok, sounds good enough. I usually like things better than most people, so it looks like another good show tonight".

CAN YOU SAY, EXPECTATIONS, YOU ARE SO SURPASSED THAT YOU DIED?

That didn't come out right. The fact is, the episode was just awesome. The banter itself, which I'll get to in a moment, was hilarious in every scene. The characters acted HUMAN, there were heroic moments that made so proud of the guy in mah Avatar, and then there is what amounts to one of the most tense moments of Stargate, for me.

But first...

OMG THEY MENTIONED JON STEWART AND STEPHEN COLBERT, WHO ARE GODS. WORDS CANNOT POSSIBLY EXPRESS HOW AWESOME THAT MOMENT WAS, EXCEPT PERHAPS FOR STEPHEN COLBERT'S "THE WORD", WHICH IS GOSPEL. YES.

AND I HAVE 2 OF BRIAN GREENE'S BOOKS, AND NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON HAS BEEN ON THE COLBERT REPORT. THIS IS THE GREATEST POP REFERENCE IN STARGATE HISTORY. YOU HEAR? YOU'D BETTER.

Let's, uh, let's move on.

This episode was truly unique in Stargate. The plot can be summed up as "3 people fall into a hole, and have to get out". That's it. It almost reminds me of that Sam Beckett play, Waiting for Gadot, where the whole thing is basically 2 people bantering back and forth with a 3rd character entering and leaving the fray. I love how the writers are exploring these esoteric little plots instead of going with the usual "problem on a planet" episodes in the previous seasons. I mean, you have the heroes facing these outside forces and enemies all the time, and barely surviving, while, realistically, they can just as easily die from tripping or something. Not all deaths or even problems are epic and stuff like that, so having an episode based on such a...mundane problem, them falling into a hole, and then seeing how truly difficult it is to get out, is really an experience we haven't seen in Stargate.

In fact, this was almost like a play.

I said during my Harmony review that this is what Martin Gero do when he's not writing a BIG episode, that he'll put in place one simple plot, and the events just unfold in that one situation. I think he's just getting better and better at it. I mean, seriously, this must have been an EXTREMELY hard episode to write because you have no "cut-aways". There is 1 situation, and all scenes must be based on that. Gero had to keep the action moving, have to keep the dialogue from becoming flat, and he has to keep finding ways to get the story moving without getting bogged down. In my mind, it worked brilliantly.

But of course, it's not all Martin's fault that this episode rocked my flocking. I gotta hand it to Martin Wood, who, I think, struggled over this episode as it must have been a pain to shoot (I think he cried in one of JM's blog pics). Well, I think it was worth it, as he did things with the camera in that one room that made the whole thing a lot more dynamic than it really is (seriously, it was 3 people in a room. That's it). The first shot of the episode was certainly an interesting one, and that which I would definitely think was a Martin Wood special. It took me a few seconds to realize, as Sam, Keller, McKay, and Shep walked around the Gateroom, that it was one continuous shot! That was brilliant, as I love smooth camera movements. The first shot of the 1st act; the slow pan down from the hole allllll the way down to our trio on the floor was brilliantly done, and shows the entire room very well, giving us a full view of our playground for the episode to come. Then there was that quick push up to McKay when Sam initially fell, which really added to the scene, as well as that short pan around the lights with the trio in the corner of the scene, which made it clear that this was a bigger problem than they first thought; that they were really small compared to the problem they now faced. Really, the directing for this episode was excellent overall, but those moments stuck in my mind.

And of course, how can I not mention the actors? They each did an EXCELLENT job with this episode. As I mentioned, their bantering was delicious, and, well, there's no point in listing any of it as it'll just be me writing down the script for the episode. However, I did specifically love the part where McKay babbled on about the two women's bodies. That took talent, to just go off like that with the "uh"s and the "um"s. God, I wish I can do that.

The girls were fabulous. Seeing Carter throwing that hook thing was a delight, just showing how powerful Sam Carter really was. Loved that part. I cringed along with Carter as Keller sets to take care of her after the fall that broke her leg; oh, and this has been a constant throughout Stargate. I think I mentiioned in my review for Line in the Sand that Amanda can do pain REALLY well, and she can easily make the audience hurt with her, which is a good thing. But really, seeing Carter getting dirty and gritty and using, not only her mind, but also her muscles was wonderful.

And then there's Keller, who I'm loving more each and every day. With this episode, I think I've figured out her character. When she's a doctor, she's perfectly professionial (i.e. when treating Sam), but otherwise, she's really a flirt, who, due to her lack of social interactions in the past, may have less inhibitions. I like that. The bar trick was neat, and that look she gave Rodney right before they started the bar bet plan was, dare I say it, sexah. Overall though, I loved her banter with Sam against Rodney, and the little looks the girls gave each other as Rodney...well, acted like Rodney. The game she and Sam played with the guys was definitely something I've been waiting to see on Stargate, namely girls drooling over guys instead of the other way around. It's a breast of fresh air.

Then there is Rodney, who played the hero and saved the day. My God, Hewlett is a God. He was firing on all cylinders this episode; from the SUCH disappointment on his face at the fact that he didn't get to See Keller's bra, to the various tries to swing the grappling hook, to the suggestion that Carter flash the kids, to the MADE OF WIN blathering at a pair of perfect bodies, to SUPER HEROIC RODNEY lowering Sam to the mining shaft despite bleeding hands, to the...oh hell, just watch the episode. Still, I would like to just give a shout out to the incredible scene near the end with McKay dangling on the fraying rope and how he goes into "afraid for my life" mode again. While it was probably made for humor, I saw a very raw side of Rodney that I had not seen before. It was probably a combination of just how precarious his position was, his sweat and soil-stained face, and of course, Hewlett's acting, that made that scene...heart-breaking. It was like watching a man who is himself watching his life flashing before his eyes. Poor, poor Rodney.

Bottom Line is: David Hewlett ROXORZED in this episode.

Along with Amanda Tapping and Jewel Staite. Natch.

Finally, there is the climax of the episode. Let me set this up for you. I am watching as Rodney pulls on the rope with the rod attached, and soil starts coming in. Then, the box collapses and Keller falls out of the box holding onto the rope. I swear profusely at this development, just because of how sudden it is.

Then, some of the most intense Hewlett rantings, followed by tension so thick I was drowning in it. As my respect for Rodney climbed, Keller was lowered to the mineshaft. My hands were tight fists as Keller swings back and forth, eventually getting to the landing. I laugh as Rodney falls back. Then, the short exchange between Sam and Rodney makes me realize what's coming up; then, here's why I'm giving the episode a 10: Sam points out Rodney's hands, we cut to the hands, seeing it bloody, and the music swells...and I almost pass out from the level of WIN.

The rest of the scenes were just tension city. I didn't move an inch, I was sweating like there's no tomorrow, and eventually, when Rodney finally got to safety and the box plummetted into the abyss, I yelled in triumph. It was truly an unforgettable experience.

So...wow, yeah, definitely an AWESOME EPISODE. Loved every minute of it. In fact, I'd say that Trio was probably one of the best filler episodes Stargate has ever done. All I know is, I can't wait for Quartet!

Score: 10/10
            Last edited by PG15; 09 February 2008, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              You gotta be kidding. Nono, I respect your opinion I guess that's just how different tastes can be.

Edit: But 10/10 - I wouldn't type out so lightly - that means no episode will ever be better for me.

Double-Edit: I'd give a 4/10 with a clear conscience. ^^
              Last edited by Actionhank; 09 February 2008, 06:03 PM.
              Welcome to the zone where normal things don't happen...

...very often

Comment

PG15 that must be the longest and best ep review ever
                sigpic
                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Actionhank View Post
                  You gotta be kidding. Nono, I respect your opinion I guess that's just how different tastes can be.

Edit: But 10/10 - I wouldn't type out so lightly - that means no episode will ever be better for me.

Double-Edit: I'd give a 4/10 with a clear conscience. ^^
                  Ah, see, I actually feel guilty giving Stargate anything below a 7 (and I only gave that once, to Flesh and Blood, because it didn't feel BIG enough after Camelot), just because I can't bring myself to do it (that, and I myself is used to getting 90+ in school, so even for me, getting below, say, 80% is criminal). However, I genuinly loved Trio, so yeah, 10/10 it is.

Jumper, I suggest you read my review for The Pegasus Project. I think that may be my longest review. Or, try BAMSR.

Comment

I remember the BAMSR review. My head hurt after reading that review.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                      All I know is, I can't wait for Quartet!
                      Wouldn't that be the TEAM eps?

Comment

Jumper, I suggest you read my review for The Pegasus Project. I think that may be my longest review. Or, try BAMSR.
                        thanks, will do
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          I remember the BAMSR review. My head hurt after reading that review.
                          Then my mission was a success.

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                          Wouldn't that be the TEAM eps?
                          Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                            Well, for an episode that I went into expecting to hate with a deep deep hatred - I actually liked this one! Color me completely shocked.

Let's get the bad out of the way first. There were definitely some things I could have done without this episode. I really could have done without all the juvenile humor. The "who would you rather?" game, Rodney trying to get Sam to show her breasts, the body comparison, etc. Not so good. I also completely HATED the Zelenka bashing! At first I was going to go Yay, Rodney's going to stand up for his friend, but then he didn't, and all of them joining in on it really really irritated me. Bad writers!! We love Zelenka! No Zelenka bashing!

There were also some odd things - first, Keller finds the Genii files in a generic expandifile? Really? I didn't know the Genii had Office Max. Second, they've made such a big deal about her fear of heights, even in this episode, and then when she's suddenly dangling on the end of a rope over a chasm, she suddenly seems to lose all her fear. What????? That transformation was a little jarring.

Other than those things, this was a surprisingly good episode! It did drag a little bit, especially in the first half, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Carter's not my favorite character, and I haven't been very excited about Keller either lately, especially after Quarantine. But I thought they were both good in this episode, and this went a long way toward redeeming Keller in my eyes.

Oh and can I just say - McKay/Keller is a much MUCH better idea than Ronon/Keller! And Keller herself is much better around McKay than she is around some of the others. She has more of a personality. And yay for that. McKay doesn't put up with her whining (which is the height of irony I know), and she seems to get him better than I thought she did.

Overall, a pretty decent episode! And yay for scared but brave Rodney! I love Rodney!

Oh and yes, that was definitely flirting at the end.

EDIT: I saw someone else (I don't know whether it was here or on LJ) that said they liked Gero's Keller better than Binder's Keller. I would wholeheartedly agree with that. I've normally liked Binder's characterization - he's written some of my favorite episodes (Echoes always comes to mind first). But Cooper and Gero have done the best job with Keller I think. Binder's Keller has been completely annoying, and McCullough's Keller has just been flat and emotionless. Just my opinion, of course.
                            Kill...we can't do this too often..you and I actually agree on something...YIKES!!!! *wink*

Loooooved the expanding file comment! LOL
                            sigpic

Comment

WOW.

HELLS YEAH, THIS IS WHY I WATCH MAH STARGATE!!

Ok, ok, ok, so that was...wow. Ok. It's odd that I'd feel this way, considering that this is usually how I feel towards BIG episodes, like The Pegasus Project or Be All My Sins Remember'd, but DAAAAAAYYYYYYYUUUUUMMMM...Trio was freaking-ass AWESOME!!

Seriously, I mean, I'm sweating right now because of those last few scenes. The tension was ridiculously palpable, I was...you know what? I'll save that for the last bit of my review, because it's the most crazy part, in terms of how I reacted to the scenes.

But, of course, the main *thang* of this episode is the banter. OH MY GOD THE BANTER. OH, IT WASN'T JUST THE BANTER, BUT THE FACIAL EXPRESSIONS TOO. Ok, wait a minute, just, just let me calm down a little.

Ok, I think I'm better, maybe. When I first heard of this episode, I was extremely skeptic of it. I mean, seriously...it's about 3 people who fall into a hole. Boy, was I horrendously f'ed up with that. How could I have just waved it off as that, when those 3 people are David Hewlett, Jewel Staite, and Amanda Tapping?

I COULDN'T HAVE WAVED IT OFF, THAT'S WHAT. BIATCH.

ALRIGHT. Calm down. Pheeeeeeewwwwww......

Anyways, I was skeptic all the way until the episode premiered, and read some of the reactions. I saw how people delighted in the banter, but thought that, perhaps, it dragged, and I thought "Hmmm, ok, sounds good enough. I usually like things better than most people, so it looks like another good show tonight".

CAN YOU SAY, EXPECTATIONS, YOU ARE SO SURPASSED THAT YOU DIED?

That didn't come out right. The fact is, the episode was just awesome. The banter itself, which I'll get to in a moment, was hilarious in every scene. The characters acted HUMAN, there were heroic moments that made so proud of the guy in mah Avatar, and then there is what amounts to one of the most tense moments of Stargate, for me.

But first...

OMG THEY MENTIONED JON STEWART AND STEPHEN COLBERT, WHO ARE GODS. WORDS CANNOT POSSIBLY EXPRESS HOW AWESOME THAT MOMENT WAS, EXCEPT PERHAPS FOR STEPHEN COLBERT'S "THE WORD", WHICH IS GOSPEL. YES.

AND I HAVE 2 OF BRIAN GREENE'S BOOKS, AND NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON HAS BEEN ON THE COLBERT REPORT. THIS IS THE GREATEST POP REFERENCE IN STARGATE HISTORY. YOU HEAR? YOU'D BETTER.

Let's, uh, let's move on.

This episode was truly unique in Stargate. The plot can be summed up as "3 people fall into a hole, and have to get out". That's it. It almost reminds me of that Sam Beckett play, Waiting for Gadot, where the whole thing is basically 2 people bantering back and forth with a 3rd character entering and leaving the fray. I love how the writers are exploring these esoteric little plots instead of going with the usual "problem on a planet" episodes in the previous seasons. I mean, you have the heroes facing these outside forces and enemies all the time, and barely surviving, while, realistically, they can just as easily die from tripping or something. Not all deaths or even problems are epic and stuff like that, so having an episode based on such a...mundane problem, them falling into a hole, and then seeing how truly difficult it is to get out, is really an experience we haven't seen in Stargate.

In fact, this was almost like a play.

I said during my Harmony review that this is what Martin Gero do when he's not writing a BIG episode, that he'll put in place one simple plot, and the events just unfold in that one situation. I think he's just getting better and better at it. I mean, seriously, this must have been an EXTREMELY hard episode to write because you have no "cut-aways". There is 1 situation, and all scenes must be based on that. Gero had to keep the action moving, have to keep the dialogue from becoming flat, and he has to keep finding ways to get the story moving without getting bogged down. In my mind, it worked brilliantly.

But of course, it's not all Martin's fault that this episode rocked my flocking. I gotta hand it to Martin Wood, who, I think, struggled over this episode as it must have been a pain to shoot (I think he cried in one of JM's blog pics). Well, I think it was worth it, as he did things with the camera in that one room that made the whole thing a lot more dynamic than it really is (seriously, it was 3 people in a room. That's it). The first shot of the episode was certainly an interesting one, and that which I would definitely think was a Martin Wood special. It took me a few seconds to realize, as Sam, Keller, McKay, and Shep walked around the Gateroom, that it was one continuous shot! That was brilliant, as I love smooth camera movements. The first shot of the 1st act; the slow pan down from the hole allllll the way down to our trio on the floor was brilliantly done, and shows the entire room very well, giving us a full view of our playground for the episode to come. Then there was that quick push up to McKay when Sam initially fell, which really added to the scene, as well as that short pan around the lights with the trio in the corner of the scene, which made it clear that this was a bigger problem than they first thought; that they were really small compared to the problem they now faced. Really, the directing for this episode was excellent overall, but those moments stuck in my mind.

And of course, how can I not mention the actors? They each did an EXCELLENT job with this episode. As I mentioned, their bantering was delicious, and, well, there's no point in listing any of it as it'll just be me writing down the script for the episode. However, I did specifically love the part where McKay babbled on about the two women's bodies. That took talent, to just go off like that with the "uh"s and the "um"s. God, I wish I can do that.

The girls were fabulous. Seeing Carter throwing that hook thing was a delight, just showing how powerful Sam Carter really was. Loved that part. I cringed along with Carter as Keller sets to take care of her after the fall that broke her leg; oh, and this has been a constant throughout Stargate. I think I mentiioned in my review for Line in the Sand that Amanda can do pain REALLY well, and she can easily make the audience hurt with her, which is a good thing. But really, seeing Carter getting dirty and gritty and using, not only her mind, but also her muscles was wonderful.

And then there's Keller, who I'm loving more each and every day. With this episode, I think I've figured out her character. When she's a doctor, she's perfectly professionial (i.e. when treating Sam), but otherwise, she's really a flirt, who, due to her lack of social interactions in the past, may have less inhibitions. I like that. The bar trick was neat, and that look she gave Rodney right before they started the bar bet plan was, dare I say it, sexah. Overall though, I loved her banter with Sam against Rodney, and the little looks the girls gave each other as Rodney...well, acted like Rodney. The game she and Sam played with the guys was definitely something I've been waiting to see on Stargate, namely girls drooling over guys instead of the other way around. It's a breast of fresh air.

Then there is Rodney, who played the hero and saved the day. My God, Hewlett is a God. He was firing on all cylinders this episode; from the SUCH disappointment on his face at the fact that he didn't get to See Keller's bra, to the various tries to swing the grappling hook, to the suggestion that Carter flash the kids, to the MADE OF WIN blathering at a pair of perfect bodies, to SUPER HEROIC RODNEY lowering Sam to the mining shaft despite bleeding hands, to the...oh hell, just watch the episode. Still, I would like to just give a shout out to the incredible scene near the end with McKay dangling on the fraying rope and how he goes into "afraid for my life" mode again. While it was probably made for humor, I saw a very raw side of Rodney that I had not seen before. It was probably a combination of just how precarious his position was, his sweat and soil-stained face, and of course, Hewlett's acting, that made that scene...heart-breaking. It was like watching a man who is himself watching his life flashing before his eyes. Poor, poor Rodney.

Bottom Line is: David Hewlett ROXORZED in this episode.

Along with Amanda Tapping and Jewel Staite. Natch.

Finally, there is the climax of the episode. Let me set this up for you. I am watching as Rodney pulls on the rope with the rod attached, and soil starts coming in. Then, the box collapses and Keller falls out of the box holding onto the rope. I swear profusely at this development, just because of how sudden it is.

Then, some of the most intense Hewlett rantings, followed by tension so thick I was drowning in it. As my respect for Rodney climbed, Keller was lowered to the mineshaft. My hands were tight fists as Keller swings back and forth, eventually getting to the landing. I laugh as Rodney falls back. Then, the short exchange between Sam and Rodney makes me realize what's coming up; then, here's why I'm giving the episode a 10: Sam points out Rodney's hands, we cut to the hands, seeing it bloody, and the music swells...and I almost pass out from the level of WIN.

The rest of the scenes were just tension city. I didn't move an inch, I was sweating like there's no tomorrow, and eventually, when Rodney finally got to safety and the box plummetted into the abyss, I yelled in triumph. It was truly an unforgettable experience.

So...wow, yeah, definitely an AWESOME EPISODE. Loved every minute of it. In fact, I'd say that Trio was probably one of the best filler episodes Stargate has ever done. All I know is, I can't wait for Quartet!

Wow very good review I agree 100%.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by derrickh View Post
                                You really think that they'll have a graphic sex scene on Atlantis? Its not gonna happen. But we're all intelligent adults, and its obvious that Keller and Mckay 'hooked up' later that night. The same way she and Ronan got it on in Quarantine. You can check your math, but the way I do arithmetic, the odds of all of these young, healthy, attractive people being practically celibate for 4 years is slim to none.

I didnt say Kellar was a 'tramp'. But its clear that she has a healthy attitude towards sex and isnt afraid of pursuing her desires. Wow, go figure, she's a human being.

She was about to take off her top without a second thought. She initiated the 'Who would you rather have sex with' game. She hooked up with Rodney. None of those are negative things.

D
                                That is not quite so obvious to some of us. She merely asked him to have a drink with her.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                i said in my other post that i had only one complaint, in that the ep ended too abruptly. i have another one, actually, but it's not bad.

in the scene where mckay is the last one to go down, and he's just hanging there and complaining... i didn't like him whining like that, *only* because i'm attracted to him and didn't like seeing him being whiny when he'd been so brave and strong before. BUT, as soon as heard the creaking, his little 'break' ended and he made himself go.

i really like mckay and like him being the hottie.

oh, and concerning the above scene, as soon as we saw just where keller fell (blackhole pit of heck), i totally cringed! my fear of heights really felt that scene.

the special effects in this ep were fabulous!

sally
                                If you think that was whiny, wait until you see some of the S1-3 eps. You haven't seen whiny yet.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                                i'd have picked clooney too, just in the same way i'd pick han over luke. i like handsome over cute.
                                DITTO!!

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                                There were also some odd things - first, Keller finds the Genii files in a generic expandifile? Really? I didn't know the Genii had Office Max.
                                I had a laugh at that too. And the fact that they magically use 8x11 paper. And the "red is bad" comment. Really? That's a universal concept?
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Luciana
                                My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Working...
                                X