No announcement yet.

The Other Woman (406)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They had to make the gas inert because Ben would have used it to kill all the 'invaders' at least as a final resort.... and if he couldn't he would have found a way to make it happen.

Comment

Exactly. Destroying the gas was a preventative measure to prevent it from being used. And they had EVERY reason not to trust the losties, since Juliette is not only in their midst, but is influential as well.
      "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Also, forget not that many Losties were taken to live with the Others and in one such instance, the flight attendant, I believe, seemed reasonably ok being somewhat integrated into the Others' society. If they really knew a lot about Ben then they would probably know he would try to integrate some, if not all of them into "our little society" as Ben put it. So, I can understand why Charlotte and the rest would be suspicious.
        sigpic

Comment

Unless there was another task they accomplished at the Tempest, then this first step of the Freighters mission was incredibly important ; neutralising the gas so they could operate freely on the island without a major threat to their lives. Charlotte was not going to risk anything going wrong with it.

Once they'd finished at the Tempest there was no indication that they planned to return to Jack and co., they could carry on their mission without interference by slipping away.

Also, Charlotte was the one calling the shots. She recently had up-close experience of Locke and his methods, and as far she knows not everyone in Jack's camp may have severed their ties with Locke's camp.

My friend and I do not believe that Juliet was actually contacted by Harper, rather we suspect it was the Monster posing as Harper given the way "she" appeared and disappeared and the Whispering going on at the time.

Unless Ben can communicate with it in his cell (which may be impossible if Locke has activated the barracks' sonic barrier), it seems 'Harper' was lying about Ben giving the orders. The real question is, did the Monster really want Juliet to kill Daniel and Charlotte, or did it pose as Harper with the intention of prompting Juliet to make a clean break from Ben ?

Comment

Originally posted by YodaMate View Post
            My friend and I do not believe that Juliet was actually contacted by Harper, rather we suspect it was the Monster posing as Harper given the way "she" appeared and disappeared and the Whispering going on at the time.

Unless Ben can communicate with it in his cell (which may be impossible if Locke has activated the barracks' sonic barrier), it seems 'Harper' was lying about Ben giving the orders. The real question is, did the Monster really want Juliet to kill Daniel and Charlotte, or did it pose as Harper with the intention of prompting Juliet to make a clean break from Ben ?
            This is an interesting theory, and I agree with it to a certain extent. However I think Harper is in fact Harper, or at least the consciousness of Harper. I think Jacob is a consciousness and the Hostiles are also. Somehow they exist separately from reality, separating consciousness from body in a similar way to how we've seen consciousness be able to travel through time with Desmond. I would guess that the Hostiles are fairly exclusive as to who they let in to their little club, which is why the killed Dharma who may have been a group trying to somehow become consciousness'. Then they pretended to be human and have been using Ben to recruit people to build a society where they can groom children into what they want tom to be in order to join their little consciousness club.

Anyway, I suspect that Dharma are the ones behind Mr. Widmore who is behind Daniel and Charlottes little research team. I would guess they're doing what they were originally, trying to research the island and how people become consciousness. Obviously Jacob/the monster/the hostiles don't want that, so they tried to get Juliet to kill Daniel and Charlotte. They probably could have done it themselves, but I would guess that they want to play people off against each other to reach some goal.

I think there are people that they want to keep alive, such as Juliet and probably some of the Losties, especially Aaron and Sun's child which would explain them just not mass exterminating everyone.

Anyway, summary being; I agree that Harper is some kind of consciousness and not physical anymore. Be it the monster or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
              They had to make the gas inert because Ben would have used it to kill all the 'invaders' at least as a final resort.... and if he couldn't he would have found a way to make it happen.
              except that

- Ben was pretty much harmless now (being Locke's captive) and they knew it

- many years had passed on the island without the gas causing a problem, so why the sudden rush ? all the more so than their "solution" was very likely to cause more harm than good (a hell of a lot more harm since every islander could've been killed). if it ain't broke, don't fix it

- they were the only ones with gas masks. C&D would've survived the gas, not the losties, so they had no reason to distrust Jack & co. in this matter (unless they somehow believed the losties intended to commit mass suicide by releasing the gas -)

Comment

I really hope they clarify about the gas issue

Comment

Really this Episodes is Pretty cool........

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                    except that

- Ben was pretty much harmless now (being Locke's captive) and they knew it
                    The hostiles could have activated the gas. (In the past Ben only helped them gain access to the station)

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                    - many years had passed on the island without the gas causing a problem, so why the sudden rush ? all the more so than their "solution" was very likely to cause more harm than good (a hell of a lot more harm since every islander could've been killed). if it ain't broke, don't fix it
                    Because for many years no one had come to the island. Now they were coming the natives could use it to kill them, ala Dharma. Their 'solution' wasn't risky because they had gas masks in case they screwed up. (they had no idea the losties would be on the island, which ended up complicating the issue).

So the situation is the following:
                    1. Let the hostiles activate the gas - killing the freighter folk AND the losties. (The hostiles would probably be safe since "the temple" appears to be on high ground.)
                    2. Make the gas inert. Risky, but prevents certain death by the hostiles.

Comment

Working...
                    X